collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

vfscooter

Dot Guests: 145 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12879
  • stats Total Posts: 128702
  • stats Total Topics: 18024
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Boil Box or gravity column  (Read 26673 times)

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: USA California
  • Kudos: 4
  • On the creek,, moving some material!
Boil Box or gravity column
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »
At [email protected] is a very interesting paper written by a guy named Trev in New Zealand. The device is designed to recover fine gold, salt and pepper size and smaller. Here is just a little bit of the paper.

I would love to see this system in person. If you join [email protected], this info is under files.
Cannot find if you do not look!

Offline prospectorjames

• Kudos: 0
Re: Boil Box or gravity column
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 04:18:27 PM »
Curious about "heavies" drop-out in the box.    Can you adjust this systems water flow to allow some heavies drop-out within the box and clean out with a plug in the bottom?       If the flow were adjusted to allow some fall-out of the heaviest material, wouldn't the recovery of your very finest of the ultra-fine gold increase on the mats, or would the mats just load up?

Jim.

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 06:07:19 AM »
The boil boxes are designed to run screened material, window screen and smaller, and were used in New Zealand on some beaches. The purpose of the boil box is to create the gravity column, where all the material is held in suspension by the rising water. Then as the water loses velocity coming up and out of the boil box, the densest material, usually gold, will drop out onto the mat. I don't believe the boil boxes would work correctly if material dropped out into the bottom of the box.

Offline prospectorjames

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply deserdog,
I was using a new design of drop / boil box which was intended to churn or boil the material more effectively, allowing the lighter material excape first (or a good portion of it), but the hevies did buld up some.   I found that by adjusting the flow (raising the plate in the center) I could get almost pure black sand and gold as what was left in the box.    I wasn't sure if this was actually causing me to loose a portion of the finest gold due to decreased efficiency.   I went back to adjusting it down to where it just kept the box clean and left it at that.    I figured if it didn't hurt letting heavies accumulate in the box (adjusting the plate as it filled) I would just let it accumulate and put a plug in the bottom for clean-out while in operation.

I haven't used the system in years & may never again, BUT, it's good to know just incase.

Jim.

ClickTheYellowChick

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:53:55 PM »
Curious about "heavies" drop-out in the box.    Can you adjust this systems water flow to allow some heavies drop-out within the box and clean out with a plug in the bottom?       If the flow were adjusted to allow some fall-out of the heaviest material, wouldn't the recovery of your very finest of the ultra-fine gold increase on the mats, or would the mats just load up?

Jim.
Jim, I had the privilege of observing a wonderful, backhoe fed shaker table unit and its 3' wide x 12' long sluice offshoot.

It's boilbox was cleanable by unscrewing a plug on the side of the unit facing the operator.
Neat, clean, easy to collect the goodies.  Reach in the top with a wooden scraper and shove the cons out the side hole.  Never forgot that design.

Hope it's useful info to you!

YellowChick

Offline P_Carroll

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »
There are some really good pictures on the 49ers website of an eluteration tube.

Offline Geo2

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: KH- Sudan
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »
I read about this guy (Trevor Alty of New Zealand) somewhere that the Inventors /Developers of the Gold Cube based their design of it on his studies , but I am not sure about that. He looks like a knowledgeable man . Some of his articles are still available on the Yahoo Group (goldminers at yahoogroups) .

Offline Captnjay

• Province/State: FL and GA
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »
What type of mat would you use?  Vortex?  Miners moss?  Would you have any mat in the chamber?  Thanks, this is a very interesting design.

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:54 AM »
He used a fabric called polar fleece

Offline Captnjay

• Province/State: FL and GA