collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

kodibear

Dot Guests: 177 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12960
  • stats Total Posts: 129968
  • stats Total Topics: 18179
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: (DIY) Building a Double Flared Fluid Bed Sluice with 3 chambers.  (Read 9431 times)

Offline astrobouncer

• Province/State: Greenville South Carolina
  • Kudos: 13
  • If your back aint sore, you didnt move enough dirt

(DIY) Building a Double Flared Fluid Bed Sluice with 3 chambers.wmv
      - YouTube

(DIY) Building a Double Flared Fluid Bed Sluice with 3 chambers.wmv
      - YouTube

I built this sluice out of some scrap wood in my garage.

This idea is similar in concept to to the New Zealand Hydraulic riffles, however instead of supplying the water from above like on those, I use the sides. 6 water holes per chamber, 3 on each side about 1/8 inch in diameter each. The first two chambers have a 45 degree back slope which serves two purposes. First, it lessens the material buildup in the riffle by keeping it shallower (and thus easier to keep fluidized), and second it allows the heavies to sink into the deeper part of the chambers. Most of the gold will not make it past the first chamber, but if it does, with this design it has 2 more chambers to settle in.

The purpose of the double flare is to speed up the material at first to push the lighter tailings out, then to slow it down again where it widens to drop the fine gold.

I built it to self classifies to about 6 mesh, but I can change it to any size by switching grizzly if needed. The exit port for tailings under the grizzly is 1/2 inch high.

I tested it a couple times now, but only took video the one time, and so far it seems to work great, catching down to sub 100 mesh easily. More tests and video showing it in action coming soon.

Offline whiteynut

• Kudos: 0
Re: (DIY) Building a Double Flared Fluid Bed Sluice with 3 chambers.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »
Thanks again for posting your projects Astro.  {cool^sign}

Offline auff/bust

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »
You have very good woodworking/fabricating skills. I also enjoy developing equip. with material at hand so understand the time spent in conception through completion of these projects. I appreciate your willingness to share your ideals and accomplishments. Thank you for sharing.

Offline Toppossum

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
  • He who hesitates waits.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:26:19 AM »
I like the design it is quite creative.  Would it help if the material being fed in were preclassified?  Could it be used in a high banker configuration with the fluid bed water being fed by a pump?  It looks like it would be great for beach deposits.  Great job astro I'm looking forward to the next video.

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
Another out of this world build by Astro! Very interesting design - thanks for sharing!  {cool^sign}

* Say does the last and widest chamber stay fluidized in the middle? If so the first two chambers would get more pressure to push bigger material out?
* Does the material from the first two chambers have to boil into the next chamber over the hardware screen or is there a gap under the screen on those two chamber walls?

I am impressed (again) you have been busy! Thanks for sharing.  [-1st-]

Did someone say       

Offline astrobouncer

• Province/State: Greenville South Carolina
  • Kudos: 13
  • If your back aint sore, you didnt move enough dirt
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

@ Topossum, yes preclassifing works great with it, especially with saprolite/clay. I am sure it would be great in a highbanker too.

@ Ebuyc No I dont think its staying fluidized on the third chamber. It acts more like a conventional riffle. There is a 1/2 inch gap under the grizzly, I took some video of it today so you could see it.

Anyway, I did some more testing on this today. I brought a little chop stick to check the fluid bed and the first two were ok, but the third was pretty solid. I figured it probably would have that problem with the design and the last chamber being so wide. I could have put a water pipe in the middle and had it supply water just to the back chamber but its ok. The water coming in from the sides helps scour away the lighter stuff in that third chamber so it actually works better then just a riffle would.

It still seems to hold the small gold. I built a low pressure area with rocks behind the sluice and then panned the tailings there a couple times and didnt find anything but black sand. Also, I plan to go back to that area and high bank it soon with the bucket.  

Here's the video from today, apologize the camera work is not the best next time I will for sure bring my camera stand ( didnt want to pack in too much today since I only had about 2 hours to play):

Testing my DIY Double Flared Fluid Bed Sluice in slow water
      - YouTube

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 05:58:50 AM »
Ah - thanks - that material you are digging looks good.

From the fluid beds I have made, it is hard to get bigger fluid beds to stay fluidized - so separating into smaller chambers is genius!

Thanks for sharing and the Q&A!

Did someone say       

Offline PlacerWilly

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: British Columbia Interior
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:20:48 PM »
Pretty cool astro ! once again  <-good_>

I'm really giving the "fluid beds" alot of serious consideration with a few builds of my own as of late.
Been following all your builds and Thanks for the insight  8)
"Up there's where we got to go !"

Offline MI Iron Man

• Kudos: 3
  • Pack persistance and determination you'll need it.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 09:30:03 PM »
 Thanks for posting your experience with your latest prototype astrobouncer. seeing it in operation and it's construction. Has given me some food for thought before constructing my next unit.

Have to admit I was a bit of a fluid bed skeptic till I seen for myself what they can do.

Love your vids thank you for sharing them with us!

Sometimes you don't get what you want, you get what you need. You might go looking for a living, and come back learning how to live.

akversamax

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »
I have been thinking about making one similar to this. Material doesn't come by easily around bush Alaska  <-NO_>. Sure have enough wood but the metal screens might be hard to find. Would we need to "water proof" the wood somehow or can we just build it and get it to work?  <-thinking->

Gear Pan
Gold Rat