collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 146 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12991
  • stats Total Posts: 130641
  • stats Total Topics: 18282
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Sluice in Nova Scotia  (Read 3966 times)

Offline mud digger

• Kudos: 0
Sluice in Nova Scotia
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:08:08 PM »
Two issues about prospecting in Nova Scotia that I would like some clarification on. 

#1. Dredging - From my understanding you can use a hand dredge to clean out crevices and such but not a powered pump or a system that processes fair amounts of gravel.  Is this true or not? 

#2. High-banker or a sluice - Can you use a sluice in the streams and rivers in NS?  I was told that operating a sluice messes up the fish habitat so you either need to recycle your water or it needs to drain something like 25 feet from the running stream, with no direct flow back into the stream so the sediment can filter before it re-enters the system.  True or not?    A report from the states that I read last year said that processing the gravel actually improved spawning beds in the streams.

Offline beav

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: NS
  • Kudos: 10
  • Keep yer pan wet, and Butt dry!
Re: Sluice in Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
1. "True"...notice the quotations. It depends who you talk to. I get a different answer each time about dredging. Hand dredging I have never heard anyone say "no" on hand equipment here.

2. It's best to have a "setlling pond" to discharge your sluice into to allow the sediment to settle and clearer water to return to the waterway, when high-banking.
For sluicing, use common sense. If you would not drink the water off the end of your sluice, then there's prob too much sediment going back in the waterway.
In that case, just run your material a little slower. As long as you're not taring into the bank of the river with 4-5 shovelers, you're prob ok - but common sense prevails!
Beav

Offline mud digger

• Kudos: 0
Re: Sluice in Nova Scotia
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
Thank you for the clarification!  I'm still fairly new at this but I'm having a blast discovering new parts of the province.  Someday I'll find some gold worth bragging about, until then, I'll just keep playing in the mud!