collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 227 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130581
  • stats Total Topics: 18275
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Cheap 1/4" bucket classifier  (Read 6632 times)

Offline SpokaneTim

• Kudos: 1
Cheap 1/4" bucket classifier
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:08 PM »
I don't know where I picked up this tip, could have been this forum.  If you visit your local in-door hydroponic shop, where they have equipment for the serious in-door tomato growers ha ha, you can buy a 10" bucket basket pot.  They fit perfect on top of a 5 gallon bucket and have webbing equivalent to 1/4".  They cost only $6 for the heavy duty version.

I bought one a couple months ago to try.  It's become my favored classifier, much faster then my Keene 1/4" because of its deep basket and its easier to shake.  You need to attach handle, I used pvc, because it sets flush on the bucket and the edges are sharp. 

It probably won't last as long as a Keene (it's held up perfect after several outings) but for $7-$8 bucks including the pvc and bolts for the handle it's a good value. 

Tim

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cheap 1/4" bucket classifier
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:27:23 AM »
Cool Tim! - very hydro-pun-ic  ;D

I went to the Gibbs Eddy beach club outing with a Walmart 1/8" wire mesh wastebasket - powder coated and surprisingly durable!
Just needs some 1/8" holes drilled along the bottom edge and works very well. This also fits perfectly in a 5 gal bucket.

Walmart $10 wastebasket link

Thanks for sharing! I am going up to the claim this weekend for sure - call me if you have time to check it out!
Original pic
Original pic

"Glad you got a handle on your classification" -  lol!!!@* punny

Did someone say       

Offline doublenotminer

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:33:15 AM »
Ebuyc,

I also have looked at these in Walmart, did not know what the hole size was.  Thanks f :or that info, wasn't sure of the durability.
 ;D

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »
Ebuyc,

I also have looked at these in Walmart, did not know what the hole size was.  Thanks f :or that info, wasn't sure of the durability.
 ;D

The mesh size is actually slightly smaller then 1/8" but real close - great for a gold cube....  ;)

EDIT: I just ran a 3/32 drill bit through the holes quite easily, so it is somewhere between 3/32" and 1/8". In my opinion the mesh would be 1/8" if the holes were square and not diamond shaped. Imagine racking some 1/8" mesh then powder coating it, not quite 1/8" anymore.

Did someone say       

Offline evan

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
I cant load pictures right now, but i made my classifier from a used fencing staple bucket. it fits and stacks perfectly in the 5 gal pails. the small bucket is about 3gal and i drilled 1/2" holes in the bottom, and it seems to work very well. the only isue I have is that you dont get i full pail, but it is also easier to cary :)

Gear Pan
Gold Rat