collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

rexhavoc

Dot Guests: 195 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12981
  • stats Total Posts: 130391
  • stats Total Topics: 18246
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Looking for Alberta Gold  (Read 43369 times)

Offline gnome

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Penticton B.C
  • Kudos: 0
Re: Looking for Alberta Gold
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 03:43:02 PM »
well it's been along time since I was out that way but I do recall a news paper article from edmonton back in the early to mid 80's of if i remember right that a fella that worked for the city had made a cool 100,000 bucks prospecting around there on weekends but wouldn't say just where maybe check out the edmonton herld for more info.

ClickTheYellowChick

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »
You know, gnome,
that is a right fine idea, checking out the newspaper "morgue" as they call it, to search for "gold stories" in one's area.

May I suggest one also check with any type of "historical society" in their nearest town for the same reason?

Back when gold was first discovered here in Oregon in the 1860's, turns out, much to my surprise, there were no less than 3 DAILY papers (printed on offset presses back then) in one of the largest goldtowns in the eastern Oregon mountains.

A nearby "gold town" library turned out to be the receipient of much of that hoard of history.  All those newspapers--like Blue Mountain News--have been gifted to and now converted to microfiche at the library.

One some of those too cold to go minin' days, why not head to the library or the historical society or the morgue at the local paper for some newspaper "prospectin'?"

Just a thought...

Offline au-stin

• New user
  • Province/State: Leduc, AB
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 02:12:07 AM »
Hey its gold season!!  time to fire up this thread!  Im working on swapping my sluice rifles to go for all that lovely fine gold in Devon.   I live in leduc!

VikingSniper

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 11:50:06 AM »
Hello all
This picture might be useful.
{[update}] The first image is back and I added the B&W image

Offline SnowSpider

• Loving the life
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Thorsby Alberta
  • Kudos: 7
  • Just me
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
LOL  well all the gold in the Nth Sask is just not in Devon   theres a poo load of it all along from Genissee Bridge  to the city  The better places are accessed by boat (eg. Gravel Bar islands) Im thinking of getting a few of us intrepid Alberta gold panners and launching a boat on a friday and hitting some of these Gravel bars over a weekend of camping and panning between Genissee and Devon  That would be a blast 

Dave
Cold Wet and Tired aint Prospecting Fun??

Offline lsfog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Hinton, Ab
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 08:12:27 PM »
Well perhaps I can be of assistance!!
I'm just waiting for the rivers to be officially boatable.
We really need to talk about this.
With a cruiseing speed of 30 mph and a wot of 45 ish we can cover alot of water in a short time.
No need to bush camp in this area, just find a comfy spot to put in the boat and park the RV.
Ken

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 08:57:48 PM »
If you accept westerners (BC) coming east - I might be persuaded to bring my mining buddy and join you (would kick in for expenses as well).  He doesn't get around so well as he had a stroke a few years ago so hiking the river bank to a good spot is tough.  A boat would be a blast and nice to get to a spot with some good yeller!  If I can get some time in the garage I might have my hover craft ready to bring along :-)

Wayne Loewen  in 1991 saids he knew of places near Edmonton that he would be able to get an ounce a day with a 6" no problem - with boat access ( and a change in the law I suppose).

Greg in BC

ps - I am in Dawson Creek - a little over an hour from Grande Prairie

Offline lsfog

• PPT Invited
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 07:12:11 PM »
Hey Greg
Well Wayne would know the spots thats for sure.
As for the buddy & his abilitys & capabilitys, well lets just remember that Lsfog stands for little short fat old guy, so we may move at the same speed.
Ken

Offline SnowSpider

• Loving the life
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Thorsby Alberta
  • Kudos: 7
  • Just me
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »
LOL  well if your short and fat  or  dont move so fast  or just love being out on the river with some good buddys and a few beers  Im thinking we have it in hand  Im a Fire Fighter and def that training can come in handy for safety sake as for the RV Hmmmm trust me the reason the section of river between Genissee and devon hasnt been panned lots is cuz there is no access to the river its all private farms and no way to get to the water  the only place to put a boat in is at the Genissee Bridge and easy egress at devon   but  guys if your serious most of you have my e mail give me a boo and well set somthing up for a long weekend  .. I can Fab up any equipment needed from a sluice to a high banker in a day or two and allready have a few on hand  a 5.5 Hp 2 inch pump and a 1200 W generator sitting collecting dust in my gold panning room needs to get out and get wet too...  I do believe this is gona be a fun season

Dave
Cold Wet and Tired aint Prospecting Fun??

Offline lsfog

• PPT Invited
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 04:28:03 PM »
Ya well thats the beauty of my tin tub we can put alot of miles under the bow in a short time as long as the rocks stay out of the way. I found out about that several years ago by straying just a bit to far upstream on the Berland. About 9K to far..... :'(
So as long as we can find a spot to  park the RV near enough to a 4x4 boat launch we are in buizness....
When is the next long weekend, no calender handy....
As to your occupation I don't think that I have ever built a camp fire that required a fire fighter but there's always a first time!!
Ken

Gear Pan
Gold Rat