collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 206 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130853
  • stats Total Topics: 18307
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: GOLD HOG MATS  (Read 35638 times)

Offline coolshivers

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 19
Re: GOLD HOG MATS
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 06:18:08 AM »
Great..  Let me finish getting it pulled together then I will PM you. Hogmat just left via ups and some work is left on the high banker.
Your sluice is 8" and this one is 12". (intentional as I wanted to be able to narrow it and play with flow) That and my goons can move decent material.
Your top is mostly SM (as engineered by GH) and my top 24" is expanded with UR under it. The riffles are mostly for show since I hope most gets trapped in the first 24" but it will be interesting to see how far it goes and what happens in the hungarian zone. Riffles are small.  Both sluices are about 60". If we can do a controlled type test from the same hole with similar slopes. I also might have to trim the height of the mat down so I can lock it down. It appears taller then the moss. We'll see. Give me a couple weeks.
I also meant slime banks above prior to edit. That's what the NSR is on a good day. Cheers

Offline Mesojdm

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 04:28:48 PM »
Just breaking in our hog mats! We were high banking the entire holiday weekend up here in the Sierra/Northern California mountains. (Beautiful weekend BTW)
We are running 12"X48" of UR matting under expanded metal, which is all under Keene's Metal riffles. We also added on a sluice extension (12"X36") loaded with scrubber mat. The extension was just in case we missed any up top. Specs were as follow:
-2"drop/linear foot
-4500/5000GPH

From watching the videos on gold hog's site, we tried to replicate the same flow rate they had. Our water was ripping down the sluice! The flow pattern was very even as well. A few things about this mat;
Don't even try looking for fine gold while running. I found that the gold it did find, was stuck way up under the UR mat and behind all the black sand(not visible). Even during the clean out I could not see it.
When it was time to clean the mat, we found rolling it up INWARDS while dunking it in a 5 gallon bucket worked best.(it helped spread out the matting to get all the fines out)
Didn't hit the mother lode, but it was the first run of the season and still in testing phase. Thanks hog mat.

Some photos from the weekend:
setup;

UR under riffles

Scrubber at the end

An hour of tailings

Trying a homemade dry land nozzle

Offline coolshivers

• PPT Invited
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
I have almost the exact set up and I blew out lots of flour gold running to fast. I was moving about 7000-8000.  I'm looking forward to slowing mine down some for flour gold.

Offline gagoldguy

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Kudos: 20
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
Just breaking in our hog mats! We were high banking the entire holiday weekend up here in the Sierra/Northern California mountains. (Beautiful weekend BTW)
We are running 12"X48" of UR matting under expanded metal, which is all under Keene's Metal riffles. We also added on a sluice extension (12"X36") loaded with scrubber mat. The extension was just in case we missed any up top. Specs were as follow:
-2"drop/linear foot
-4500/5000GPH

From watching the videos on gold hog's site, we tried to replicate the same flow rate they had. Our water was ripping down the sluice! The flow pattern was very even as well. A few things about this mat;
Don't even try looking for fine gold while running. I found that the gold it did find, was stuck way up under the UR mat and behind all the black sand(not visible). Even during the clean out I could not see it.
When it was time to clean the mat, we found rolling it up INWARDS while dunking it in a 5 gallon bucket worked best.(it helped spread out the matting to get all the fines out)
Didn't hit the mother lode, but it was the first run of the season and still in testing phase. Thanks hog mat.

Looks great. Like the Pup, the pink nozzle, and the pile of rocks. Good photos.
Next time you go out try reducing your pitch to about 1.5" if running riffles / high water volume.
You should have plenty exchange going on at that water volume and the 1.5 might work even better seeing you have riffles.
It's a fine tuning game.
Yes, we have found that much of the gold "hides" deep in the "3rd level micro chambers". Kind of "bites" when you want see it on shut down.... :)
You can tone down your pitch and flow with your setup just a BIT... as long as you don't see rocks piling up behind your riffles... you should be good.
Great work and be safe.
GGG

Proud to sponsor this forum. Gold Hog Sluice Mats

Offline gagoldguy

• CGPF Sponsor
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »
I have almost the exact set up and I blew out lots of flour gold running to fast. I was moving about 7000-8000.  I'm looking forward to slowing mine down some for flour gold.

Hey coolshivers...
Next time you run shoot a phone video if you can of yours running the old way before you adjust.
Send it to me and let me see it. I should be able to read the mat / setup and help.
7-8000 gph sounds a bit high.
GGG

Offline coolshivers

• PPT Invited
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 08:25:07 PM »
I did shoot video. working on an update. need to dial in this -70 - 100 gold...  oh... and I pounded on the flow so you wouldn't think I was scared to move water...   ;D

Offline gagoldguy

• CGPF Sponsor
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 03:09:28 AM »
I did shoot video. working on an update. need to dial in this -70 - 100 gold...  oh... and I pounded on the flow so you wouldn't think I was scared to move water...   ;D

LOL...
No fear...
I have a always tried to use pitch before flow. Sounds like your pitch is good, just tone down the flow a bit.
"Flatter" water will put FORCE downward on your sluice box floor. Go too deep and you risk what we call the "swim effect" on any sluice bed, regardless of setup or matting.
GGG

Offline Grizz700

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 08:15:32 AM »
Hey Guys,
I ran my set up on the Athabasca River over the long weekend and my GH matting was loaded with black sand.  I was running a 1.5" pump.  I wanted to take pics and a movie as well but my lovely wife took my camera out of the truck and put it in the trailer.  My helpers would only give me about 2 hours of run time before they wanted to go back to the lake.  In the two hours I got about a gram of flour gold.  I just finished biulding a new stand so I'll be able to adjust the pitch of my sluice from the 1"it was fixed at to be adjustablt to about a 2-3" TPF.  QUESTION - If I run more velocity with if blow the small rocks and pebbles through my matting? They can be a real pain when finishing.  Next time I'll post pics and a movie so you can critique my set up as well.
Grizz700

Offline coolshivers

• PPT Invited
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »
Grizz. really important we compare setups for this fine recovery. it does need some settling effect it would appear and a bit less water. I hope to get my video up soon. then re-run with different flow rates.  You did better them me if you got a gram in 2 hours. I got a gram in 4.  this weekend I hope to slow it down, dig in the same spots.

Offline Grizz700

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:46 AM »
Hey Coolshivers,
Where were you?

Gear Pan
Gold Rat