collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Fisser

Dot Guests: 148 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129925
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Shaker Table Plans  (Read 72813 times)

Offline ABEARZZ

• Province/State: Charlotte,NC
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Shaker Table Plans
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »
looks easy to build and would not be hard to operate with a 12v wiper motor...hmmmmm

Offline pasty

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:22:38 AM »
Hey Steppegold, I downloaded the pdf but there are no actual plans for building it. Just wondering if you had plans for the one you built.

Offline P_Carroll

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 01:13:55 PM »
I have emailed the BGS abput the shaker tabel and they told me the man who was the main author fo the report is out of the country until next week but my email has been forewarded to him and he will respond when he gets back so hopefully I can have dimensioned drawings I can post. On the report it says one fifth scale so if you print it up on standard paper you could theoretically enlarge it to obtain the right dimensions. The riffle size and angles are lacking though so Im hoping I can get a better set of drawings.

Offline Chuxgold

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Naches Washington
  • Kudos: 10
  • The thinker.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 07:10:07 AM »
You know you can use a boat trailer winch for driving things that take lots of torque and are turned by hand. Fun looking and productive project.
Chuck.
Give self, to gain wisdom,

Offline Todd

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »
Hey guys,

just checking to see if anyone was able to track down the detailed drawings of the shaker table.  Have started building the deck but not sure what the deck sits on.  Since the deck has to jig back and forth I am not sure if it sit on rails or rubber blocks???. 

Todd

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »
For something this tiny a couple of caster wheels bolted to the base and channel iron tracks to the bottom of the table would do the trick just fine. You can do the reverse - wheels bolted to the table top and tracks on the base but the tracks will get gummed up with crud and sand and such in that configuration so better to have the tracks on the table top and the castor wheels bolted to the base acting as legs for the table keeping the wheels up off the base and shielded by the rails so they don't get gummed up.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline P_Carroll

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 03:06:14 PM »
I finally heard back from the BGS. No such plans ever existed. You are going to have to go by the drawing in the report which is 1/5 scale and move foreward from there.
Sorry.

Hey guys,

just checking to see if anyone was able to track down the detailed drawings of the shaker table.  Have started building the deck but not sure what the deck sits on.  Since the deck has to jig back and forth I am not sure if it sit on rails or rubber blocks???. 

Todd

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 11:13:11 PM »
Maybe we can get steppegold to post more details.

I am not real big on a hand crank unit but driven by electric would work.

Having a simple pitman arm is not gonna cut it. You need to introduce a bias to the action so material moves in the direction you want it to down the table. If all you had was the offset cam with an arm on it it will shake the table but not move the material properly. Many commercial units use a bumper or a flex spring to either bump the table at the end or shove it away faster than it got pushed against the spring.

You could also completely eliminate tracks underneath and combime table top support with the carrier by using flexible support like the Geminii Table. The table top is supported by two legs of puck board. They are wide plates going crossways in the middle of the table - one near the front and one near the end. The geminii is a bumper table AND it has a spring shock absorber  to smooth the action out. The bigger commercial tables I have worked with i the past eliminated legs and table supports from below and hung the tables from cable from the roof.

I have also seen the legs supporting the table top made out of strips of steel that will allow flex for the table to move.

On a small scale the tracks and casters will work.

We could reverse engineer this thing if people are really interested but I dont have time to play with the evolving design that someone will have to build to ensure we get it right.

One of the simplest designs for a home made unit like this is to mount a small electric motor direct coupled to a shiv pulley at the head end of the table. A weight is put on the pulley such that it creates the back and forth motion of the table as it turns. The offset weight being moveable the amount of action will be controlled by the speed of the motor, weight of the weight and weight position relative to the centre of the pulley. the further out it is the longer the throw.

The entire electric motor and pulley assembly can move with the table as the motion is quite short and a slight bit of slack in the electric cord is all you need for it to keep up.  A simple bumper at the end will create the directional bias you need. Some guys frown on bumper tables as operators can get a bit ham handed with them creating too much bump and lifting heavies off the table high enough that they get moved too far down towards the tails. A shock absorbing spring will generally take care of it and create the throw you want for bias direction.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline Todd

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 05:35:03 PM »
I have started putting the deck/riffles together.  Since their are no plans I have just scaled up from the drawings.  In addition I have a buddy who has a large scale Wifley table.  He has provided me with some photos and dimensions.  Photos from his table show that it is mounted on several bars/rails. 
He also mentioned the jigging motion that is being discusses and how important it is.  So I will get the deck built and try out some different ideas.  I do like the idea of the hand crank and portability of this machine.   

I will post pictures here if someone could advise me how to attach pictures etc.

Also, would anyone have any experience with stamp mills, for crushing qtz veins.   

Todd

Offline shiver

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Canada
  • Kudos: 25
    • CGPF
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
Some photo's of your project would be great Todd!  <-good_>

Follow this link for image posting instructions....  Posting images

Gear Pan
Gold Rat