collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 155 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12966
  • stats Total Posts: 130013
  • stats Total Topics: 18185
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: My 12volt sampling jig...  (Read 6386 times)

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
Re: My 12volt sampling jig...
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 09:09:01 AM »
Like ebuyc I was wondering about the hanging connection between the diaphram chamber and the main hutch.
It looks like a very inventive approach. I am always amazed when someone comes up with something like this - the inventiveness and creativity isn't just in the design but in the ability to design around using basic available materials.
The action would be interesting to watch because of the cam. Like a stamp mill lifter.
A relatively slow suck and then a short sharp blow.
I don't see a provision for makeup water in the diaphram chamber - with that action and size its probably not so much of an issue but I am wondering if you have tried/considered it?
Have you had any issues with a trapped bubble of air under the diaphram causing a buffering of the action?
As the others have said great build  {cool^sign}.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 11
Re: My 12volt sampling jig...
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
That vacuum former is great! But, I need one that can do 1/4" ABS, or PVC. I also need an oven that can heat 3' sheets of both. That way, I can flatten large-diameter pipes to make sheet stock.
 On my jig, I do get some material in the diaphragm chamber. I should have sloped the chamber floor into the hutch. I have since added a drain fitting to the diaphragm chamber.
 Another thing I found out was you can't use the hutch to collect the gem cons. When using the country rock as ragging, the smaller material of equal SG crowds out the larger material. So, the smaller material goes into the hutch, and you have to empty the hutch really often. It works better to make the jig screen have smaller openings than the smallest size you classify to. You still get some really small fines in the hutch, but not enough to be a problem. The cons just end up on top of the jig screen, with the country rock ragging over them......the heavier gems crowd out the lighter ragging.
 For metals like gold, because of the generally smaller size, and MUCH higher SG, you can use steel shot for ragging, and the gold cons would end up in the hutch. Since the ragging would be much heavier than the country rock, even the smallest rock would just float out into the tailings. Evntually, I'm going to try this for tiny gold. I'll use window screen, and probably try lead shot for ragging...maybe like #8 birdshot. I'm interested in seeing how much of the fine sand paases through the ragging and into the hutch.
Jim

Gear Pan
Gold Rat