collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 114 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12065
  • stats Total Posts: 118950
  • stats Total Topics: 16254
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

Author Topic: Gold dredging in BC. Is it possible????  (Read 25694 times)

Offline Goldmemberya

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
Gold dredging in BC. Is it possible????
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:50:43 PM »
Howdy all,

I am new to this gold thing, however, i do like what i see on youtube with gold dredging.
Is it possible to dredge on one of my claims?
If so whom do I contact?
And how much will it cost?
Can I use a 6' dredge?
I love this country and its fish.  Will dredging hurt the baby fish?
Cheers,
GoldmemberYA

Offline PWJM

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Gold dredging in BC. Is it possible????
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »
i don't know the answer to many of those questions for a fact, but I do know that you CANNOT use a 6" dredge. I believe once you work your way through a maze of red tape and actually get permission to use a suction dredge, its inlet is limited to 1.5" and the nozzle is 3" or something. Little fuzzy on those specs though. Sounded like too much of a headache to bother with so Ive never paid much attention.

Offline Goldmemberya

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »
PWJM,

THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION!  YOU JUST SAVED ME A WHOLE LOT OF HEADACHES.  I AM REQUESTING INFORMATION FROM THE GOLD COMMISH...
CHEERS,
GOLDMEMBER.....YA! :o

Offline Goldmemberya

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 03:22:30 PM »
OK THIS IS WHAT THE GOVERNMENT SENT BACK TO ME ON DREDGING.....
DFOIBCE GUIDELINES
THE USE OF SUCTION DREDGES TO "SNIPE" FOR GOLD
The following guidelines apply to the use of portable suction dredges to "snipe" for gold in bedrock canyon areas. The general prohibition on suction dredging in B.C. is not waived, rather, the Regional Placer Mining Coordination Committees may allow portable suction dredges to be operated for sniping on a site specific basis. The following guidelines are offered on an interim basis and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and B.C Environment (BCE) will follow up these guidelines to assess their applicability and compliance.
a) Canyon site selected for sniping must be true bedrock based, not clay or hardpan.
b) DFO and BCE may limit the number of suction dredges that are operated in a given
area.
c) The potential site must be well mapped and photographed. This information must
accompany the application. The operation must be confined to the delineated area.
d) Timing on the operation maybe confined to after freshet, and prior to fall rains. Site
specific restrictions on timing may be applied to reflect sensitive fish life history phases.
e) To facilitate agency monitoring the portable suction dredge should be painted a
fluorescent red/orange in colour. The permit number, clearly visible from the air shall
be displayed.
f) Equipment is restricted to hand-operated, portable units, including suction dredges with
intake valve diameters of not greater than 6". .
g) No entrainment of fish, under any circumstances, is permitted. While the nozzle may
remain unscreened, all other intakes must be screened in accordance with DFO
guidelines.
h) During sluicing, a tailings bag, approximately 2 m x I m in dimensions and comprised
of a nylon type material must be attached to the sluice outfall.
i) During sluicing, the tailings bag and tailings, must be deposited on the stream edge
outside the wetted perimeter with no discharge to the stream.
j) Gravel tailings must be contoured to the natural bank above the wetted perimeter.
k) Removal or shifting of large boulders that may be in the stream bed, or any alteration of
the bedrock is strictly prohibited.
1) All fuel and oil products must be stored in a secure manner well removed from the
wetted perimeter.
m) Fuel tanks on the suction dredge should be confined to approximately 4 litres capacity.
March 22, 1995

Offline PWJM

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »
cool great info! Thanks for posting this!

Bright red/green dredge. Cannot disturb big rocks or bedrock, and all tailing must be removed to a location away from the stream edge.... Theres a whole bunch they left out about qualifications for diving, and contingency plans in case of emergency.

sounds like they're saying you can have a dredge (if they okay it) you just can't really use it. What a headache. Although, with regards to the tailings not being allowed back in the water (where they came from i might add) a nice suction dredge highbanker seems like a better solution than using a "tailings bag"

Offline bcdigger

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Vancouver BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »
WOW! you got a response!!   And Fast!!  {cool^sign}

In a year of members here trying to get some answers on recreational suction dredging in BC, its awesome to finally see a set of some of the guidelines!!!

Thanks for sharing this information Goldmemberya  [-1st-]  {-applause-}

a nice suction dredge highbanker seems like a better solution than using a "tailings bag"

{-up-} Completely agree
You'll always wonder unless you dig it

Offline Goldmemberya

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »
Thanks for the positive response!
I have sent out additional emails, we will see where it will take us.
THIS JUST IN....
Hello Chris
Bruce M is our geologist who forwarded your e-mail to me (Bruce Hupman).  There are several variants of dredging and I'll give you a quick snap shot of these.
1) sniping, small operations recovering underwater placer minerals from cracks in bedrock,
2) enhanced sniping using a small suction device with no discharge to the stream,
these two options are possible and are permitted through a Mines Permit with referrals to other gov. agencies
3) suction dredging requires DFO involvement and generally a complex process

Hope this helps and good luck!

Offline Golddigger

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 07:15:46 PM »
Thanks Goldmemberya

I wonder what the guidelines are for using a suction fed highbanker? Would they be the same as with sluicing, or would you need the dredge permit to?  <-dont~know->

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »
According to the mto office in cranbrook,Its not too hard to get a permit you just need to apply about 6 weeks in advance and be willing to put up some cash as a bond for reclaimation work.I met up with a mto mine inspector and one of the ladies in the field near my claim.It was invovling people on my claim (long story).I inquired about dredging permits and next year I will apply,it doesnt sound like alot of red tape for me.I just need the cash,more bond money, bigger intake.I think you can use up to a 5" dredge If you put enough money in the bond.Im not sure what every is talking about,but in the fort steele district you can use dredge's as long as it is in the dredging season,you get a permit,and you put money into a reclaimation bond.Call your locale mto ,talk with them ,it not impossible to dredge,it sounds as simple as applying for a permit.Im not sure about a suction fed highbanker I will call and ask about that,I have one,it might be allowed,because no discharge into river.

Offline Goldmemberya

• PPT Invited
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 02:22:53 PM »
Great information Rockpup!  This is the first REAL information I have read regarding dredging in BC, thank-you. 
I read your previous post about your experience with claim jumpers dredging on your claim.  Sound like a happy ending.  At the very least you have a relationship with the local mine inspector.  <-yahoo_>
Thanks again,
Cheers