collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

beav

Dot Guests: 120 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129928
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: MAGNETIC STRENGTH and POLARITY METER  (Read 3534 times)

-XE-Klump

MAGNETIC STRENGTH and POLARITY METER
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:52:06 PM »
I was wondering if this would be usefull out in the field?

MAGNETIC STRENGTH and POLARITY METER
A valuable tool for the researcher or experimenter in magnetism   Handy low-cost meter measures from < 1 up to 10 gauss for full scale reading. Allows you to check polarity and obtain relative field strength readings. Checks magnetic pulsers, normal fixed magnets, and potential fields in a magnetically active area.
Device measures 2-1/4" diameter at outer lip (2" diameter base) x 1-1/8" deep. Weight is 1.4 ounces. Polarity indicator noted on rear of the unit. Center scale calibrated allows you to quickly determine strength and direction of polarity.

Does not require batteries and is ready to use.

MX3511 - Magnetic Strength and Polarity Meter ......$39.50

Heres the website lots of cool scientific stuff there but this item is 2/3 of the page down

General Science, Science Projects

Offline gollum

• Province/State: North central Minnesota
  • Kudos: 2
Re: MAGNETIC STRENGTH and POLARITY METER
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:01:13 AM »
-XE-Klump - neat website, neat tool , thanx , Bill

-XE-Klump

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:39:45 AM »
Ya that site is fun lots of scienetific project related items there i spent alot of yesterday going through all the neat stuff there.

-XE-Klump

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:54:40 AM »
Here,s a magnetic veiwing film i'm just trying to find quick ways to see if magnitite(black sand) is present in rock formations i just may have to buy this stuff and let you all know if it works.

Amazon.com: Magnetic Viewing Film - Magnetic Field Display Film 6&quot;x6&quot; - COOL !: Office Products

Amazon.com: 10 Magnetic Field Viewing Film Laminated Cards: Everything Else

Amazon.com: 6&quot; x 12&quot; Green Magnetic Field Viewing Film, Fun!: Toys & Games

Offline overtheedge

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 36
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
I bought the magnetic viewing film a couple three years ago. For prospecting, it is worthless. It barely shows the magnetic field of 1cm particles of magnetite. Also the film takes a set; remove the magnetic field and the film still shows it. To erase, sweep a large magnet across the film at just the right distance away.

For scientific playing, it is neat. It has to be laying on the magnet to show the field.

Reckon I could get you a picture if you need one.

No reason for the polarity magnetic meter. If the deposit is homogenous in field alignment, it will probably show up on an aerial  magnetic survey.

They invented a simple magnetic detection tool a long time ago that few take the time to learn how to use outside the box. It is called a compass.
eric

-XE-Klump

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »
Thanx for the replies! Compass eh? I havent brought one out for a long time since ive had a gps but thanx for the tip ill pack it with me next time. I come across so many gadgets out there on the internet its hard to figure out whats actually going to help you out and i dont have a budget for unlimited spending on trying out stuff.

Offline overtheedge

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 36
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:58:34 PM »
Just put the compass next to the wall of a sampling trench and then slowly lower it while watching for any deflection of the needle. No movement doesn't mean a lot, but a definite deflection means a black sand stringer. Uh, don't orient the trench magnetic east-west otherwise magnetic north might overwhelm any magnetic strata's ability to show a slight deflection.

Like everything else, the lowly compass is just a tool. Might work for the job, might not.

Don't get me started on Helmholtz coils and the use of a compass as a black sand stringer detector. Some neat theoretical stuff, but I'm not sure if there is any applicability.
eric

-XE-Klump

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 08:55:28 AM »
Im wondering if there is any compact magnetic detection piece of equipment to check rocks with quick and easy. I mean something you can walk up to a 20 foot high outcrop and just run something over it quick and it would give you a positive reading for magnitite.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat