collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

KenKlondikeparadigmshiftgeezir

Dot Guests: 132 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12582
  • stats Total Posts: 124319
  • stats Total Topics: 17289
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: What's the best detecting tips you ever received?  (Read 9155 times)

Offline shiver

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Canada
  • Kudos: 24
    • CGPF
What's the best detecting tips you ever received?
« on: April 03, 2007, 08:22:23 PM »
So what have you found to be the best metal detecting advice

Dig Everything?
Re-scan your holes after removing a target?

Post your best detecting related advice here and lets see what we can come up with. :)

Offline caauug

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Kalgoolrlie W.A. Australia
  • Kudos: 0
Re: What's the best detecting tips you ever received?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 03:58:41 AM »
For me when I started out was, swing low and slow, dig every target and expect the unexpected. The last point is a wild card as it could be differant animals in the bush or it could be a nugget stairing you in the face after the detector screamed at you to wake you up from the best ever day-dream. The geo`s may say there is no gold there but you never know untill you swing over it. Yes re-swing your holes is a good one, I have seen that more than once pay redigging them. The most important point I have learned is keep your mouth shut, the flies will get in and your mates will clean out your patch if you do not.

Offline bcdigger

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Vancouver BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:47:38 AM »
Many times we go detecting in the rain...on purpose, because we know nobody else is out, plus the wet ground is more conductive and you will find deeper targets.

As far as headphones, a lot of people feel you need waterproof headphones, but the regular ones we use work fine.

Just make sure to cover your unit. :) 
You'll always wonder unless you dig it

Offline shiver

• Administrator
    • CGPF
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 01:14:53 AM »
Setting proper ground balance is very important.  Incorrect settings can cause drastic loss of depth.

How do you set ground balance?
Setting Ground Balance

Shiver

Offline Golddigger

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
Don't coil the cable from the control box down to the search coil. Instead, tape the cable in a single line up the shaft to a point above the collapsible joint. Start the coil from there. As you swing the coil from side to side, a loose cable coiled around the shaft, and near the search coil, can give false signals.  {cool^sign}

Offline Seeker

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC Canada
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »
i'd guess my best tip was to approach your site different ways on each time you visit a favorite site. Diagonally, Circular  ect..

Offline Seeker

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC Canada
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 03:15:17 AM »
Have you ever been out metal detecting and received a sweet coin signal only to find out that the great coin signal you had turned out to be a deeply buried aluminum can?

These deep aluminum cans can often pose a problem to hobbyists that do allot of metal detecting on the beach or along rivers, they can also pose a problem in other areas. They are especially bothersome to a hobbyist that doesn't quite have his or her detecting ear fine tuned yet. I'm going to give you a surefire tip for distinguishing coins from cans and other over sized garbage targets. Just keep in mind this technique is intended for the coin shooter and jewelry hunter the hobbyist that is only interested in coins, jewelry and other smaller objects.

I came up with this technique in my early years of metal detecting, I was primarily metal detecting an area that held many deep soda cans and other large garbage targets. I canít tell you how many 1 foot holes I dug chasing a beautiful coin signal in the beginning only to unearth a deep soda can and as you can imagine it got old really quick, so this is the technique I adapted early in my metal detecting career, hopefully it will be as useful to you as it has for me.

Ok your out metal detecting and you pick a serious, clear as day coin hit, you have gotten a few of these before in the area you are metal detecting, but they turned out to be cans or other large trash objects, but your still pretty new to the hobby of metal detecting and you are still really unsure about passing up a signal that sounds so sweet.

Once you are over the signal simply start swinging your coil above the target lifting your coil further from the ground with each swing, until you are swinging the coil of your metal detector about 5 or so inches above the ground, if at this point you are still getting a SOLID repeatable coin signal, move on, its not a coin. But if the signal fades as you lift your coil off the ground, you can dig, it is a coin or some other small coin sized target. Could still be trash, but one thing is for sure it wont be a can or other large trash item.

This tip is a simple and very effective for maximizing your time as a coin or jewelry shooter. {cool^sign}

Offline RocksForBrains

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »
Well maybe not the best tip...but useful. A scoop is needed for beach hunting, Try attaching a magnet inside the scoop to pick up all iron objects so that you don't have to keep searching for that item that is too small and slips through your scoop.
Have Rock Hammer will Travel

Offline jonniebud

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: british columbia
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 08:50:05 PM »
ground balancing and dig everything  cause practice makes perfect {cool^sign}

Offline shiver

• Administrator
    • CGPF
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 03:16:51 PM »
Wearing headphones!!  Such a basic tip but often an overlooked one.. myself included.   As much as I hate not hearing whats going on around me. You can really zero in on those deep targets that would otherwise be missed.