collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

KenKlondikekcm

Dot Guests: 129 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12146
  • stats Total Posts: 119360
  • stats Total Topics: 16418
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

Author Topic: Gold sucker plans  (Read 17805 times)

Offline Idahoau

• Kudos: 0
Gold sucker plans
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:50:36 AM »
I am looking for plans for building a gold sucker. Does anyone know of any that has a schematic not just a list of parts. Thanks.

VikingSniper

Re: Gold sucker plans
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:53:20 AM »

Offline steve_tech

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:09:36 PM »
I have built this exact sucker and it works very well, the only drawback is it will loose a small amount of meterial when you lift it out of the water.

VikingSniper

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
Steve you are 100% right they do lose gravel and water when you pull out of the river.
I would also like to add...don't use pipe with threads,they build up with sand and etc and is very hard to
change nozzles...I had to use a pipe wrench and vice to get the dam nozzle off  {-censored-}
You almost have to make it like a snuffer bottle or have a one way valve.

Offline PWJM

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:28:50 PM »
I made one with a Y pipe just after the inlet nozzle to act as a catch can. Hardly any lost material (only light stuff really) and all the heavies settle into the catch can which unscrews from the bottom. I'll get a pic up if I can. It cost me about 20 bucks to make.

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: USA California
  • Kudos: 4
  • On the creek,, moving some material!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:48:37 AM »
Here is a picture of a gold sucker with a  collection chamber.
I would also like to add that the secret of having nozzles not bind up is to use electrical fittings. Most electrical fittings have no taper on the threads, plumbing fittings do have a taper and can be very hard to get off. But not all electrical fittings will work either. I have found the best brand of electrical fittings is Cantex. I have been using this type of gold sucker since 1998, and have never had a problem of the nozzles binding up.
Cannot find if you do not look!

Offline Idahoau

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:51:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I tried to view the You Tube video but I have dial up connection and it takes about 40 seconds to download 2 seconds of the video. I would like to download it to my computer but as far as I know you cannot do that with You Tube. Is that correct?

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: USA California
  • Kudos: 4
  • On the creek,, moving some material!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:43:48 PM »
Another thing I would like to add is that all gold suckers, ones built like  snuffer bottles and ones with check valves, lose a small amount of material out of the nozzle when  you take it out of the water. The larger the nozzle, the more  you lose out of the nozzle.
Cannot find if you do not look!

Offline shiver

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Canada
  • Kudos: 22
    • CGPF
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I tried to view the You Tube video but I have dial up connection and it takes about 40 seconds to download 2 seconds of the video. I would like to download it to my computer but as far as I know you cannot do that with You Tube. Is that correct?

There are some programs you can download, including a few Firefox extensions to download YT vids.

Google

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=video+download&cat=all

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 07:34:35 PM »
if on could use a ball valve,and somehow close it when your plunger is at its end.If one could use a rod ot control it?
I made a drawing and hope ot helps explain what im saying.You would need a certain amount of space to get the gate to close,but if you could make the stroke on the sucker to leave a inch on the end it would let this valve close.Just a thought im not sure if it would work.