collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 165 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12992
  • stats Total Posts: 130653
  • stats Total Topics: 18283
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Mountain Goat trommel  (Read 7649 times)

Offline 0013eh

• Kudos: 0
Mountain Goat trommel
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
Does anyone out there have any experience with the mountain goat trommel. What did you think of it?  I may purchase one in the spring.

Offline BLACKPEARL

• Province/State: Van Isl
  • Kudos: 7
  • If you can't grow it....mine it
Re: Mountain Goat trommel
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
No experience with one.....but it looks like it would work well with my Big Jim SportsCamper and Tonka EX 400  lol!!!@* like most mining equipment it seems a little overpriced for what it is.....if I had 700$ to spend I think I would build a highbanker and put the cash into a good pump ect.....my 2 cents  {-applause-}
The meek shall inherit the earth...but not my mineral rights

Offline MadKate

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
I had one demoed for me.  I saw it working, I have carried it around, it's small and lightweight (about 16 pounds), will work about 2 yards of classified materials down in a day.  I bought one two months ago.  It's got the chute to feed directly into my desert fox. 

I am not disappointed.

And before someone tells me go big or go home, I will tell you this.  I can stick everything in the trunk of my Camry, drive to a location and set up a small *ONE* man operation and go home with my cons or gold or both without killing myself.  Portability is a key factor.

You really want to know what one is like, find a person that owns one or a mining store that carries them, ask for a demo and put it through its paces.  If you like what you see, buy it.  If not, you have that money and you can play with a highbanker, dredge or whatever else tickles your fancy.

My 2 cents.

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:54:56 PM »
Okay, Madkate, .

2YARDS, 54 CUBIC FT of material,  <-shock_> <-shock_> on this I'm sorry I would like to see this, with a hopper you feed with a small trowel, I really need to see this one..................Guest

Offline MadKate

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
You forgot of classified material. 

It takes about 5 to 6 hours to do that and I have a hefty scoop.  ;)  So long as you got good flow, and the material is classified between 3/4 to a 1/4 inch, she'll go.  That's why I had it demoed.  Fellow came in while we were putting it through it's paces and as soon as we were done, he bought that one.  Now I did not go though 2 full yards.  I barely made 2 5 gallon buckets, but it took about 5 to 8 minutes to clear a bucket and I was not tossing it in like madness.  Just scooping it nice and steady.  No clogging, no mess.  I stopped to dump the tailings out of the tray and went back to feeding.

Yeah, I tested it.  I was not disappointed then and I'm not disappointed now.  I will look forward to getting dirt from the "wilds" run through it.  Should be real interesting.

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
Okay so what yer sayinjg is that you had a bunch of other folks there classifying it down from 2 yards of pitrun to a few buckets or materials  ???? did I get this right....Guest

Offline MadKate

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
Crisson has an interior panning trough.  We set the mountain goat up in the trough.  There is tailing in the trough so we grabbed a few buckets that they keep under the benches and scooped the tailings into the buckets.  The water was not big deal as all the tailing in the trough displace the water.  We got 3 and a half buckets filled.  These are 5 gallon buckets not the 2-2.5 gallon buckets.  Put the pump into the trough, clipped it to the studs.  We hooked up the converter and plugged it into the wall socket and flipped the switch.  Got the water going and the trommel turning, we scooped the stuff in.

Now yeah, it was wet and pretty soupy stuff and already at #10 mesh with a few larger pebbles.  It did exactly as advertised.  While I was waiting at one point to see what Tammy could do for me price wise (I do a fair bit of business there), the guy was asking me questions about it.  I took the nugget trap off it and had him look into it while I turned it on.  Once he saw the inner workings (they're simple, c'mon... not like rocket science here), he went out, came back in and then went into the mining store.  After we finished out there, Tammy worked me up a price for the trommel and chute (still need to get a second converter) and I was done. 

I no sooner walk out to the car and he comes out with the biggest grin on his face and the trommel that was demoed.  That's ok.  I got mine drop shipped to me from Camel Mining and Tammy gets the biggest grin when I wander up.  She knows she'll have a fox or a goat or both sold before the day's end.

If you think that's nuts, wait until you see me working a metal detector.  That GoldSpear makes folks stop and stare.

Offline 0013eh

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 06:36:33 PM »
Crisson has an interior panning trough.  We set the mountain goat up in the trough.  There is tailing in the trough so we grabbed a few buckets that they keep under the benches and scooped the tailings into the buckets.  The water was not big deal as all the tailing in the trough displace the water.  We got 3 and a half buckets filled.  These are 5 gallon buckets not the 2-2.5 gallon buckets.  Put the pump into the trough, clipped it to the studs.  We hooked up the converter and plugged it into the wall socket and flipped the switch.  Got the water going and the trommel turning, we scooped the stuff in.

Now yeah, it was wet and pretty soupy stuff and already at #10 mesh with a few larger pebbles.  It did exactly as advertised.  While I was waiting at one point to see what Tammy could do for me price wise (I do a fair bit of business there), the guy was asking me questions about it.  I took the nugget trap off it and had him look into it while I turned it on.  Once he saw the inner workings (they're simple, c'mon... not like rocket science here), he went out, came back in and then went into the mining store.  After we finished out there, Tammy worked me up a price for the trommel and chute (still need to get a second converter) and I was done. 

I no sooner walk out to the car and he comes out with the biggest grin on his face and the trommel that was demoed.  That's ok.  I got mine drop shipped to me from Camel Mining and Tammy gets the biggest grin when I wander up.  She knows she'll have a fox or a goat or both sold before the day's end.

If you think that's nuts, wait until you see me working a metal detector.  That GoldSpear makes folks stop and stare.

Thanks for the input. Portability is a big thing for me. And yes it is  definately a bit pricey but I am putting a little money aside till spring. I will show you the mounds of gold later in the summer.  lol!!!@*

Offline MadKate

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
For the type of gold you might be looking at, you may very well want a long talk with Greywolf or with CaribooAU.  Both build highbankers and both are serious high quality.  I *know* you can stand on and hop on a Greywolf highbanker.  Both of them will take a lot more material than a mountain goat and in a shorter period of time.  When you look at the type of gold involved, you really need to consider volume of dirt moved to get x amount of gold.

In Georgia, I am blessed with nuggets, pickers, and flakes.  Fines are there but most folks will pan them to cons and deal with them at home with a miller table or other separation means.

My advice, find one (a mountain goat) and get it demoed.  Same with a highbanker.  Then consider the sort of claim you are likely to work.  The guys in B.C. know the ground best.  They are the ones you really need to ask.

Offline 0013eh

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 05:37:09 AM »
Okay so what yer sayinjg is that you had a bunch of other folks there classifying it down from 2 yards of pitrun to a few buckets or materials  ???? did I get this right....Guest

how would I go about checking out your highbankers.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat