collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

RockSteady

Dot Guests: 126 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129925
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: What is the best overall discriminating detector?  (Read 10405 times)

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
What is the best overall discriminating detector?
« on: August 08, 2008, 03:02:54 AM »
Ok everyone has a favorite detector.Favorite brand,whatever.I want to find out the best discriminating detector.Through the power of this forum,we should be able to narrow down the best.I just want to find the best at discrimating iron ect?Figuring out whats down there ,just want some opions on detectors that can do this?

Offline Eu_citzen

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Sweden
  • Kudos: 4
  • Geologists make the Bedrock!
Re: What is the best overall discriminating detector?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »
I think the White's V3 is one of the most potent. <-good_>
The rear end of a trilobite is called a trilobutt.

Offline mariner

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:45:32 PM »
Rockpup,

I got me a Whites GMT and it seems fine to me. It is not a PI - I think works at 48Khz?

How much do  you want to spend ? There are some real cheapies that work,but don't know how well - some others could comment on that. There's other that cost $4,500 or so - so you have a lot to choose from. Where do you want to use it ? I don't know what hot rocks or highly mineralized ground sounds like on my machine - so I cannot offer any real advice. I think I paid around $700 through Kellyco.

HTH

mariner
A retired old codger (ex millwright/marine engineer/stationary engineer) starting a new adventure with a new wife :-)

Offline lonetree

• Michigan
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Michigan
  • 200 Mesh Michigan Nuggets!!
    • Squirrel Dog Central
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »
I have a technetics omega 8000 (Avatar). I like it. I think fisher has the new GB2 out. If looking for gold it may be better.

Offline concrete man

• Province/State: Magna, Utah
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
I use a Whites TDI Pulse induction it takes a a while to learn how to discriminate but it does a great job for me

Offline Detectorman

• Province/State: Surrey BC
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
I have five metal detectors... but have never prospected with any of them... yet.

The best one for gold finds has been the Troy Shadow X5... that machine absolutely loves gold... well gold jewelry at least.

It will be interesting to see if it can pick out the nuggets as well.
Gold is where you find it.

I found mine in the parks and schoolyards of the Lower Mainland.

Offline prospector1

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »
You want to know what is the best detector out there,  Im not saying that my mine lab is thr best detector out there for the porpous of total discrimination.
But I can tell you this I can discriminate againstevery thing so the only thing ill pick up is gold, the best I dont knowI havent the experence it takes to lean that with other machines, But why would any want to total discrimste againist every thing, that doesnt make any since to me,
Ican do it but if I used my mine lab in that mode I would only pick up big gold nuggets I would miss all the rest of the gold that might be lying beside or under iron , apiece of metal can along side or under a hot rock you name it youll miss the smaller stuff believe me you would I do not close every thing outi im greedy I want every thing im seeking thats what its all about M&M

Offline prospector1

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 07:36:46 PM »
Hay me again sorry but I got to thinking which is dangerous for me any way.
But you know there are all kinds of detectors  out there of course some are better than others, My point is all machines are designed to do some thing they all have a lot of knobs , switches dials screens that are suposed to show yyou who deep to dig what not to dig but theres none that will show you a gold nugget, but still thats not what im driving at.
My question is this plain & simple what are all those knobs switches dials screens oh yes last bet not least whilstels put there for??? M&M

Offline mojorisin35

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 08:30:40 PM »
Minelab X-TERRA 70, hands down ...once you learn it

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »
I find the question and replies to be a bit odd.  I have owned multiple detectors over the years and the bottom line is once you get a decent quality detector, the ability to discriminate becomes academic.  If you want to find deep and small targets, you go without discrimination.  You depend on the detector to tell you something interesting is there.  The only time I use discrimination on any detector is when I have limited time and want to at least get my share of the good quality goodies and am OK with overlooking some of them.  The problem with this approach is you can really end up taking a pass on something really valuable.  By way of example, there are very few good machines that will miss a men’s 14 or 18 KT ring lying flat and fairly close to the surface.  Next, try to find a little lady’s ring with a honking big diamond at further than 5 inches.  Once discrimination is turned on, very few detectors will give you a good “bang” when the coil crosses over.
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA