collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

kodibear

Dot Guests: 174 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12962
  • stats Total Posts: 129986
  • stats Total Topics: 18181
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Cordova Ontario and the mobile saloon  (Read 2399 times)

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
Cordova Ontario and the mobile saloon
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »

Here is an interesting story regarding a small gold and silver mining town in eastern Ontario called Cordova or Cordova Mines.  The ghost town is located 9 KM north of Marmora on Peterborough Road #48. 

Like most mining communities, Cordova was 'officially' dry and the refreshment parlour served only non-alcoholic beverages.

However legend has it that just north of the village there was a mobile saloon, situated on a road that was also right on the county line between Hastings and Peterborough.

Word travelled fast in those days and whenever the authorities approached, the saloon would quickly be wheeled over from the Peterborough to the Hastings side of the road.  I bet if somebody to day could narrow down this location with some additional research, then they would have a “field day” exploring it with a metal detector. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
Re: Cordova Ontario and the mobile saloon
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »
Before I get corrected, Cordova is not a ghost town.  It is much smaller, now then in its hay-day.  It is a village that still sports a general store and a liquor store. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
Re: Cordova Ontario and the mobile saloon
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
Yes many places served certain knock at the door secret hand shakes. You can never stop it flowing it always will one way or another. Thats where race cars come from so many hot rod drivers after made legal. Thats where stock car raceing come from and rest come after that. So we owe drinking for raceing today. Then bars were here one day and gone the next day somewhere else they kept ahead of the law then. Few got raided but many lived and moved when they needed to very smart ppl cheers Ray