GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

What does an once of Flour Gold look like?

<< < (5/6) > >>

garyww:
That's very good for sure so stay there and keep it up. That amount of material is worth the effort. One of the problems with this fine material is that when it's smelted you usually end up with loosing about 75% of the weight to waste products so that's kind of disappointing for the first few batches. Another problem is the purity of the material to begin with. Down here we're pretty lucky in that respect in most creeks but on one of our claims the purity is very poor so that has to factored in as well if you look at the economics of a small operation. By the way a Miller Table will give you the 'cleanest' fine gold of any process that I know of but even then it's very time intensive to get rid of the last little particles of black sand whn you're working down to this level of particle sizes.

Number9:
Gary,

The areas I've been researching and prospecting is off the edges of the Dahlonega gold belt in north Georgia.
The fine gold from this area is known to have high purity. The old miners knew this type gold was there.
Back then, as it is today, a commercial mine wanted to move the most material to recover the highest percentage of gold in the shortest period of time, with the least amount of money spent on the operation. This left a lot of flour gold concentrated in the old workings! Even the hobby prospector of today thinks this is the only way to recover gold.
To do any good in the "flour gold world" it will take different thinking, equipment, and methods.

garyww:
Fine gold is still gold and old traditional methods still work well if modified to specifically target the fine and ultra-fine materials. Dry processing actually works better if you're after minus 100 mesh materials and if you need to use wet methods rockers work better than sluices. In fact rockers set up for fine gold are probably the best device to be using for small scale wet prospectors. A dry washer would be my first choice if there was a huge amount of material. Working dry, in any situation, will allow the miner to work about three times as much material in the same amount of time as a wet operation and the recovery is usually far better. I kind of chuckle when I see people promoting sluices for fine gold recovery as that's kind of counterproductive for serious prospectors. I think a guy called Chuxgold had some good rocker info posted here. He was most certainly on the right track with respect to fine gold recovery using wet methods. For dry processes almost any drywasher works well but the bigger the better. At the end of the day all of your clothing will be coated in ultra-fine gold. I once got almost a gram just by washing out a polar-fleece jacket I was wearing one day.

Number9:
Gary,

I've made the statement before that a sluice is a very poor piece of equipment to collect fine gold, because you don't have total control over the water.
If water is needed in you equipment to supply the "action" to concentrate your gold, it is also stealing much of the fine gold.
This didn't set very well with several sluicers! <-laugh->

pandemonium:
Quote from: Grizz700 on June 22, 2011, 04:48:26 AM

Thanks for the replies guys,

I would consider Flour Gold anything I could not pick with tweezers.  I'm new to prospecting and don't have a lot of experience, not too sure with mesh sizes.  The gold I have found would be the size of pepper and smaller. I have been out a few times but with the rain here in Edmonton it's making it hard to get out more.  I want to take my kids with me but I'm a little scared to take them down to the North Sask. River with it being so high.

Grizz

good call Grizz700.  Where about are you going in Edmonton?  When the water drops I'd like to stay close to the city [<-panning->]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Mining Advertising

Sandvik