collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

JOE S (INDY)KenKlondikeBC Handyman

Dot Guests: 142 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12113
  • stats Total Posts: 118838
  • stats Total Topics: 16346
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

Author Topic: Do you have plans for building a Boil Box?  (Read 10162 times)

Offline twobro

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Edmonton
  • Kudos: 0
Do you have plans for building a Boil Box?
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:22:16 AM »
 Very happy to join this web site, it's the best one I've seen so far.  Heading back to my claims in Atlin end of July, and looking for plans or suggestions on building a boil box, to add to my trommel set up.  If anyone could offer assistance, it would be greatly appreciated!

Offline shiver

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Canada
  • Kudos: 22
    • CGPF
Re: Do you have plans for building a Boil Box?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 04:00:31 PM »
Hey twobro, Welcome to the forum!!  {cool^sign}

Here is a drawing of a basic boil box. I suppose the area of the sluice could be cut and the box constructed of aluminum. You'll see from the drawing the basic components and the general placement of them. Note that the vortex is created on the right portion of the boil box (when referring to the drawing) as the water swirls and continues back up to sluice level.

I hope this helps  :)

[attachimg=#1]

Offline Rege-PA

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »
Hi...The boil box design used in New Zealand does not have the bottom baffle, which allows the material to be carried up ward and spread on the downward lip. The material will stratify according to specific gravity starting with Platinum, gold and so on with the lightest material at the bottom.

Offline twobro

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 08:12:56 PM »
 Thanks guys, the help is greatly appreciated, will build one and let you know how it works. I was also thinking of adding rare earth magnets on the underside of my sluice box in hopes of catching more magnetite, any thoughts on that? I have been experimenting with leaching my concentrates, and have found that some magnetite's contain micron gold . When I think back on all the black sand that I threw away in the past; well I don't want to think about it. Thanks for the help.

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:42:11 PM »
I would use a separate tray to catch black sands.I find it builds up in my expanded metal rifles.I have a black sand machine ,using a rolling drum to catch black sand before entering my fine gold sluice.Easy idea,drum rolls,magnets in drum,scraper on back of drum removing black sand build up.just flow material over drum and magnets get black sand.brush scraps off into hollding tray.im using a rechargable drill as a motor to turn the drum.it works great,and I can control the speed.Rechargeable with spare battery.Im sure it would be a little small for your system lol!

Offline twobro

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:15:58 AM »
Thanks for the tips and info, folks.  Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product (just don't look at the welding).  I plan to put it at the end of my sluice instead of the front, as I think that this will catch all the fine gold that I suspect is getting blown off the end.  I will be trying it out in August, when I head up to my claim in Atlin BC, and will let you know the results when I return in September.

Offline goldhuntertraveler

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »
What is a boil box?

Offline jcazgoldchaser

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »
From the suggested topics list below...

http://gpex.ca/smf/index.php?topic=1343.0