collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 153 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130855
  • stats Total Topics: 18307
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Trommel Drives  (Read 10557 times)

Offline Montana

• Kudos: 0
Trommel Drives
« on: May 01, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
Looking to build a 30" dia trommel and an looking for the best way to drive it.  I thought a chain would be best but I cant find a sprocket nowhere that size.  So what is the best way to drive it and what would be a good length.
Thanks

Offline digger

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Rocky Mountain House
Re: Trommel Drives
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »
you could use a belt by welding angle iron around the out side of the barrel then squeezing it to fit the belt. There is a machine shop in Lethbridge that will build any size gear don't remember the name of it though, used to buildt some things on the farm and used them quit abit. Well Happy Welding!!!

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
I've seen pics of guys welding the chain to the outside of the barrel and have the barrel rest on the drive sproket (as well as the idlers wheich keep it all straight)

Offline Montana

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
I have a goldclaimer that is built that way.  I doesnt look like the drive teeth engages all that well , but it works.  I just dont think it would do for a larger unit.

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 16
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »
 <-yes_> hopefully i get this right. my download skills lack a bit. this post was by garyww a well respected forum member  and myself. my denver gold saver trommel sat on two full length shafts with two round hard rubber wheel on each. they were only 4" or 5" in diameter. one side drove the barrel while the two on the opposite side acted as idlers. they worked great. for the life of me i can see no reason to drive trommel any other way. i worked down on the kenai in the urea plant. there they used large tumblers 10 or 12 feet in diameter and about 30 feet long. they were driven in the same manner. just my 2 cents   jerry

Offline Meke

• Province/State: Quesnel, BC
  • Kudos: 1
  • Summer is too short!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
Hello

I have a 32 inch diameter trommel.  I have use a chain and sprocket to drive the wheels and the friction from the wheels drives the trommel.  This works well but when you over load the trommel the wheels will spin and you will have to shovel out the trommel.  On the other hand, its great for when a rock jams in your system because it spins out rather than snaps the shaft or chain or worse.  I have thought about using a direct drive with a chain around the trommel, you can buy sprocket pieces and weld them around the trommel  every 8 to 12 inches.  I have seen this on another trommel.  It does work very nice.

If you go with the shaft make sure its reinforced.

Offline spud

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 07:14:13 PM »

i have always used this principle for my trommells  no matter what size they were --use the weight of the barrel and the dire for traction

Offline Montana

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 08:50:26 PM »
Thanks for all the pictures it helps visiolize things.
 The more type of drives the better it looks.  Keep those pictures coming  {-applause-}

Offline PlacerWilly

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: British Columbia Interior
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 09:45:37 PM »
 How about a hand crank !  [!!DANCE!!]
Might need a friend or two if it's 30"s though........ ;)
bill and linda prospecting.com
"Up there's where we got to go !"

Offline Montana

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
Handcranking.......Not likely.  If there is a way to do it automated without a lot of people involved then I get it done.

I am on a limited supply of cash since the silver market dropped.  But I am building equipment for this summer's use.
Just wished I had a little spring weather instead of this winter crap.

BC Gold