collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

garryk50

Dot Guests: 67 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12497
  • stats Total Posts: 123985
  • stats Total Topics: 17139
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: G`Day from Down Under  (Read 10458 times)

Offline caauug

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Kalgoolrlie W.A. Australia
  • Kudos: 0
G`Day from Down Under
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:02:03 AM »
G`Day, I it good to see Canucks with there own forum. I am Located in Kalgoolrlie W.A. Australia and mainly read the Finders Forum as it relates to my area. Whether it be good or bad I do work for Barrick, a Canadian company and they do here give permission to prospect on there leases. I know there might not be much I can do from down here but I am willing to try to help out who ever I can if they do not do the same there.

It it great to see you all and all the best to working togeather for the common good.

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 47
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
Re: G`Day from Down Under
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:03:47 AM »
Hello caauug, and a warm welcome !

Nice to see folks from all around the world meld as one in our common cause.  I'm sure you have much you could share that would be helpful to so many, and we look forward to your active participation in not only helping to build this forum into a haven most any miner would wish to kick off his boots and relax to, but also your sharing of the little things the newcomer would find interesting and intriguing.

You work for Barrick, interesting, is that in regard to placer or hardrock?  And how are things fairing out ?  And are there any new equipment horizons about to merge out of Australia ?  A lot of folks down there are quite creative.

If you have any photos you'd like to share, please feel to post.

Hope you enjoy our content.  We'll swap words again, I know.

Larry
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline caauug

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 01:16:12 PM »
Larry, I work at a small mine called Bullant. It is hardrock as it is underground but marginal at best as our grade is low. It was started by Aurion Gold we were bought by Placer Dome and then by Barrick. Barrick has a lot of leases here in the Kalgoorlie region and with your sighning of there agreement you are free to detect anywhere they are not working. Nuggets can still be found with a little work but the leases have there fair share of junk as the old timmers were not known for picking up the rubbish.

I am not sure what you mean about equipment horizons. The only new piece of equipment I know of slowly coming is a Cat jumbo drill getting close to the test stages. I do not think that is what you want.

I dug the camera out of a box a few days ago, it needs a new battery and up dated software on the pc but I will see if it still works first before I start downloading. Any pics I had went with the old pc when the hard drive died.

Offline shiver

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Canada
  • Kudos: 23
    • CGPF
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 02:27:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum caauug!!  I'll be sure to keep an eye out for posts  or hopefully pics of your finds and experiences with and without Barrick.

shiver

Offline caauug

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:09:40 PM »
I am trying to post a pic so I hope this works. I got my camera working and did a few shots at work, it was just an experiment. The first one is of the new trucks or one of them. They are Cat AD55 for underground use. The do not look so new anymore as we have had a lot of new starters and there is not that much room down there. The mine was designed for Toro (Tamrock)40D`s and the Cats are larger.

Offline caauug

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:39:04 PM »
Looks like that one worked. This one is of the front of the workshop. The loader in the forground is an Elphinstone R2800, an old girl but still works good. The loader in the background is an Elphinstone R1700 II, it is fresh out of the stope as it was traped down there for nearly 3 weeks as it was in a rock fall. There are 2 of them on remotes so we do have a back-up when things like that happen or there is a major repair. The stopes are 18m or so vertical from drive to drive. I know some of the mining terms are differant than you might use so feel free to ask questions. You will notice the front of the workshop has no doors as it does not get cold enough down here, maybe 3 or 4 good hits of frost in the mornings all winter. At this point in time all the loaders and trucks come to the surface once a day to get fuel and serviced, we do not have an underground workshop.

Offline bcdigger

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Vancouver BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 12:34:17 AM »
Great Pics Caauug!!

Seems to me I could use a few of those machine's :D...and I guess a Gold mine wouldn't hurt either  ;)

How much material do you fella's move in an average day?
Is the ore treated on site?

Looks like an interesting occupation. Thanks for sharing

Digger
You'll always wonder unless you dig it

Offline caauug

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 03:26:27 AM »
BCdigger, on a good day 10 loads per tuck at about 45 tonnes a truck in a 12hr. shift. Not every day is a good day and I will say that would be a max. I should check and average for a few months but that is not really my end. The ore gets loaded from the "ROM" pad that is at the top of the pit and gets trucked via roadtrains to the mill, so no it is not treated on site. At this time it is treated at Paddington but will be sent to Kawona Bell after the devesment of Paddington takes place. That is likely too much information unless you are following Barrick down here. I will try and get a few pics of the road trains they use as they can be 4 trailers long.

It is a very interesting job, I am in the maintenance end and have worked at this mine for nearly 5 years. We look after another small project that is closing down, they are taking out the crown pillars now. This will be the third small project since Bullant started in mid 2002 that we have also covered. I find I am still learning lots every day as mining methods change and the equipment is changing allso.

If you are looking to buy a gold mine there are a few up for sale here, I can put in a good word for you.

Offline bushguy

• Province/State: Ottawa, Ontario
    • Prospecting with LarryB
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 08:20:35 PM »
 :) Welcome to the Forum there Caauug! I'm new here too but love Gold! ;D Tell me, do you do any surface prospecting around there? I've heard there's lots of gold there and it's being found, very often with metal detectors. Is that true for the area you are in or have you checked yet?

I think you're going to like this board friend, I know I sure do! {cool^sign}

BG
Gold - The Eternal metal...

bushguy

Offline caauug

• PPT Invited
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 10:24:21 PM »
Bushguy, there is a lot of people useing metal detectors, myself for one. I will admitt the cream is gone and now you have to work for most you get. There are still some full time prospectors that only use detectors but most full timers use dozers or loaders. There is a lot of old workings around Kalgoorlie and the ground is heavy in rusty metal around these areas, that is why loaders etc. will get you more. There are some dry blowers, from shovel up to loader feed working in the area also.

Myself I use a minelab 2200 with a few up-grades. I am partners with a couple of other blokes and in the past we have done really well, but we are in a dry spell at the presant. The next big cash in I will likely up grade to a 3500 or 4000, but that might be a while yet.

I am experimenting on building a magnetic rake, I am changing the design a little so yes I have had it out and it did pick up some rust but not enough. Most people with detectors stay away from old workings as it gets frustrating digging crap all the time, but the old timers found gold there so it is a good place to look. I just have to solve the problem of the rust. The rake will also pick up the ironstone that is covering the ground in most of the gold bearing areas.