collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dhodgins

Dot Guests: 157 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12991
  • stats Total Posts: 130641
  • stats Total Topics: 18282
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: 5 gal pail classifier 3/16"  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Pudder

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Didsbury
  • Kudos: 3
  • Rick Leaver by day!!
5 gal pail classifier 3/16"
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:53:50 PM »

Okay here is what I did- I had a lot of lacquer thinner cans around (i own a bodyshop) so I took one and it fit perfectly into a 5 gal Home depot plastic container. So I noticed the thinner can has a rolled edge near the top that would make it sit inside and kind-of on top the 5 gal plastic can. so I masked a 2" line around the thinner can and cut it with a cut off wheel on a grinder. Now make sure you have the top off and dry out the can or it will make the sound of a dog, and take your eyebrows off (WOOF!!!) Next i took some 3/16 flat expanded metal and sat the can on top of it. trace a circle then cut with grinder. Wear safety glasses. Next is the hardest part, I took my mig and turned it as low as it will go and tack welded it into place. Even on low i burned through and made holes. I turned it over and welded it from the bottom as well ( could actually do better welds on this side) now go back and weld up your holes basically by doing slow tackwelds. grind smooth with fine disc then paint if you wish. You can see the one pic it fits in the 5 gal pail and you shovel her full then just take the handle on the top pail and twist it back and forth. Fine and heavies will fall and you take the rest and dump it.

Offline BINZ

• Province/State: Christina lake, BC
  • Kudos: 0
Re: 5 gal pail classifier 3/16"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »
hmmm.... great thinking my dad has a body shop and there is always some thinner cans laying around ! :) I am gonna be using the plasma cutter and Mig this weekend i see ! :) i much rather this idea over melting the bottom of a plastic bucket and pressing it on top of a screen !
just dig it !

Offline Pudder

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Didsbury
  • Kudos: 3
  • Rick Leaver by day!!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
good things about it is- cheap- replaceable- can be any size- wont crack like plastic-prob last long time!!!

Offline matscards

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: innisfil
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »
the really nice thing is you could make a series of them down to the smallest size you could weld.

Offline PlacerWilly

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: British Columbia Interior
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:56 PM »
Excellent !  {-applause-}

I was dreaming up something silmilar, but this is much better then what I came up with.
Thanks  {cool^sign}
"Up there's where we got to go !"

Gear Pan
Gold Rat