collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

poncho

Dot Guests: 292 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13016
  • stats Total Posts: 131029
  • stats Total Topics: 18328
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: classifier for your gold pan  (Read 7923 times)

Offline ve7it

• Province/State: Nanoose Bay
  • Kudos: 1
classifier for your gold pan
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »
I know you all have junker fry pans around. The cheap aluminum pans are nice and light, a good size to fit in your gold pan and help break up clumps of clay and washing larger rocks. Drilling the holes is much easier of you have a CNC mill, but it doesnt have to be beautiful to work. I used 3/8" holes spaced 0.55" apart. It got muddy today... a treat to use and weighs nothing to pack with your pan.
Lawrence in Nanoose

Offline nite hawk

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 10
Re: classifier for your gold pan
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »
I think using an old fry pan for  a classifier is a great idea. What size is your frying pan?
    We used a decent sized steel gold pan that no one was using and made it in to a classifier.
The size fits perfectly onto a 15" plastic gold pan. It is incredibly tough and durable, and no worries of the mesh tearing away from the plastic like some of the plastic /mesh classifiers. You can treat it pretty rough, and it isn't going to break.
 We took a 1/4 inch drill and drilled the bottom full of holes, however that steel is so incredibly tough we had to use plenty of  "cool-cut" on the drill to keep it from over heating.
       Another cheap classifier, ( not as durable though) is take any old plastic bucket and a 1/4" drill and drill it full of holes all over. Make sure that the bucket you drill full of holes is slightly smaller than a second bucket or a rubbermaid tub, put the classifier bucket in your tub, fill er up and agitate back and forth sort of like a washing machine.
Can be on the heavy side if you over fill it. On the plus side, if it breaks no big deal,
to make another one isn't going to cost you anywhere near what it costs to buy a commercially made classifier...
Nite Hawk

Offline ve7it

• Province/State: Nanoose Bay
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
This pan was a 10" Teflon pan. The bottom pattern of holes is about 7.25" diameter. I removed the handle so it would sit inside my old steel gold pan (handle was just in the way and it would be awkward to carry a pan full of rocks using the handle). There is just enough room between the frypan and the gold pan to get ones fingers in. I found it worked quite well for cleaning grass and moss that was dug out of cracks in the rock when sniping. Rubbing the grass across the bottom of the classifier was kind of like using a cheese grater. All the sand and muck is easily released from the roots.
cheers

Offline Flexoboy

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
I wonder if i could make one of the fry pans disappear from the kitchen without SWMBO finding out?  Shouldn't be too hard, she has about 15 of them!!! <-shock_> And they complain about us collecting gear. ::) 

By the way nice drilling work.  looks like you deburred the holes as well.

Cheers
Flexo

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 16
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o  ding-ding-ding. 15 is not very many in a normal household. and im betting the one you snag will be the one she reaches for next. not a pretty sight.    <-NO_> <-NO_> jerry

Offline barndawg

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
Pan??? Honey, what pan  <-dont~know-> ??
 Why not avoid the wrath of the wife and go to goodwill or a yard sale and grab a cheapo used one?

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »
FOR ME I GRAB WHAT I WANT OUT OF KITCHEN WIFE CAN GO FLY A KITE I TAKE WHAT I NEED WHEN I NEED IT LOL MAN UP HERE LOL CHEERS RAY I MEAN AFER ALL SHE JUST GONA BUY A NEW ONE TO REPLACE IT.

Offline MrDave

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Central Alberta
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »
Go to a dollar store and buy a colander, plus a wire mesh one. Between the two , that's all I use for packing in for sampling. Forget one in the bush, and I'm out $3. Lol way better than a hundred dollars on classifiers, like some guys.
Happy to have achieved Dirty Old Man status. Finally a goal achieved.

Offline gordmanca

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »
Mr Dave is right, the Dollar Store rule's!  Fry pans, classifiers, scoops, wire mesh (waste basket), turkey baster snufter bottle, tweezers, magnifying glass...and all of them are dirt cheap. Or in this case, miner cheap.
Self made Bullionaire.

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
Gold Rat