collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mcbainDhodgins

Dot Guests: 305 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13019
  • stats Total Posts: 131049
  • stats Total Topics: 18331
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: NEW-- and needing info about sou,western NOVA SCOTIA gold prospecting  (Read 14009 times)

Offline AQUA_9

• Kudos: 0
Re: NEW-- and needing info about sou,western NOVA SCOTIA gold prospecting
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
HIYA BEAV...

TY for the replies --appreciate it

However i,m coonfused ---I been reading up on BATHOLITHS and it says they are gd spots for gold..but yet you say they are not and the Meguma Terrans is where resource maps show the concentrates..

The Granite Batholith in NEVADA is home to one of the largest gold discoveries.

Mixed signale---but i,m a newb   ;D

Offline beav

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: NS
  • Kudos: 10
  • Keep yer pan wet, and Butt dry!
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
That's why I said as a "General Rule"....I didn't say there would NOT be ANY place gold COULD be found in the SMB.
I'm carefull of making absolute statements you see. :)
Beav

Offline beav

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: NS
  • Kudos: 10
  • Keep yer pan wet, and Butt dry!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
So the SMB could be the source of some gold deposits but seems to enrich other rock types nearby as it cools down, the metals precipitate out of solution
and into the adjacent rock (like greywacky, slate, etc). That's why AQUA_9 i never say NEVER!  ;)
See this for explanation.
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/nhns/t2/t2-3.pdf

Offline AQUA_9

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »
HIYA BEAV !!

TY FOR THE INFO.

I understand the article no problem-- and i understand that -GOLD IS WHERE YA FIND IT SOMETIMES....but what is it that separates this granite batholith from others that are proven to produce  good deposits. ?
Also would the gold inside the batholith zone be  in lode form or a a placer deposit ?

Offline goldidig

• Province/State: Nova Scotia
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 03:55:56 AM »
Hi Aqua. I am a very close friend of Beavs and have been involved in prospecting projects with him before, as well as doing a lot of hardrock mining here on the South Shore for quite a few years. His advice is very sound. I have seen him sniff out gold in some pretty strange places over the years!  <-yahoo_> His suggestion to get involved in the NSPA is a good one, particularily if you are new to the hobby. There are some good guys in the group.  Never in 27 years of prospecting on Mainland Nova Scotia have I ever personally seen gold and granite related though. Not saying it can't happen, so examine things closely. My total experience has been prospecting for and mining hardrock in the Meguma Terrain and some minor placer efforts as well. I have worked at one gold district doing some drilling and blasting for another miner where the whole Meguma terrain was cut off by a granite intrusion. There was no special enrichment as we approached the granite and NO gold in the granite. I am now semi-retired from the prospecting and mining but I sure wish you the best of luck. If my body wasn't wearing out from the hard physical work, I'd still be pounding at it full steam! ;D There is still a lot of gold in this province to be found.
      If you ever get down on the South Shore and want to see some gold,equipment and have a yack session, drop me a message and we'll connect.
Al
H-4 Exploration and Minerals
HIYA BEAV !!

TY FOR THE INFO.

I understand the article no problem-- and i understand that -GOLD IS WHERE YA FIND IT SOMETIMES....but what is it that separates this granite batholith from others that are proven to produce  good deposits. ?
Also would the gold inside the batholith zone be  in lode form or a a placer deposit ?

Offline AQUA_9

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 06:49:05 AM »
HIYA GOLDIDIG--

Thank you very much for the informative reply-muchly appreciated.I been thinking about joining the the NSPA  and prolly will----be a great way to learn more about NovaScotia !!

I,m a total newb to this hobby and am only gathering information from my readings on the internet.Reason why i ask about the batholith area is because i,ve gotten a lead from a friend who,s grandfather had found some gold inside the batholith region--about 25 miles to the north of the granite -country rock  contact zone.The area is full of huge granite boulders with a stream running threw the middle of it from 1 lake to another lake.
So i was just wondering if i was wasting my time chasing down this story-lots to explore and don,t wanna waste a lot of time on this story.

Also -i was out yesteray for only my 2nd time ever and i found some gold !!!!!!!!!   Was NOT in the batholith area--it was in a small stream dumping out of a lake north of  Yarmouth .The gold was very small -i picked it up with my snuffer bottle along with a lil bit of black sand .When i got home i dumped it into the pan and could see more colours  but they were hard to see so I used a magnifying glass and found another 7 or 8 small pieces-assuming this is what you call flour gold. It was in some course gravel on the inside bend of the stream ...there wasn,t any signs at the surface and no signs deeper down--it was at about the 12 inch range down.
Reason why i stopped to try this stream was because there was a big rock about 4 feet across and 4 or 5 feet away from the stream with a 3 inch wide white quartz vein going  completely threw it-- i picked away some the vein but didn,t see anything in it .However in every pan of gravel was a lot of quartz and other minerally looking rocks... found a couple of clumps of what looks like clear quartz pieces and other kinds of mierals--it breaks apart easily and has a lot of rust inside it covering sone of the material--also in a couple spots i can see wat looks like small pieces of gold inside the clear pieces of quartz.
Wish i knew what i was doing !!!!!!  Is this a good sign ? and it was only about 100 feet from where the stream exits the lake----so what does that mean?--did this gold come from the lake or washed threw the lake from a stream entering the lake on the opposite shores ?
The stream also started to enter a bit of a swampy area so i didn,t go very far downstream--would there still be some gold in this kinda setting --the stream still contains course gravels enterig this swampy area.

Sorry for the long winded story and all the questions...but i,m a believer in asking questions to gain knowledge !!!

AND yes AL i would really love to meet with you someday for a chat--that would be awsum !!!!!!!!  You obviously have learnt a lot about NS.

I have a lot of spare time on my hands threw out the year as i,m a fisherman by trade and work by seasons.

Offline mrhemp

• Province/State: Sherwood Park, AB
  • Born-Again Hippy looking for gold in all the wrong
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »
anyone know if there are any regs regarding salt water suction dredging in nova scotia?
I wanted to try a "Bering Sea Gold" type of rig off the southwest shore and was wondering if it was viable??