collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 201 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130854
  • stats Total Topics: 18307
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Winter Gold Prospecting In Idaho  (Read 27439 times)

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 12
Re: Winter Gold Prospecting In Idaho
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
A snuggy? I only wished. The truth of the matter is, these photos can make winter prospecting & its gold seem easy. To be honest, I sometimes struggle with each quest getting prepared for such an adventure and after all this, you'll probrably think I am a cheap schmuck. The fact is, what might seem as a simple pair of hip waders with regular clothes, is a far cry from what I need for such an exhilarating trip to the river. The good lord knows there's a dry suit out there for me that can weather my conditions (Idaho is a mini-Alaska gold rush). A day's outing consists of 3 prs. of socks, pants with 2 wool shirts, snowmobile suit, 2 gloves, big jacket, and a lord's prayer before my descend. Pretty crazy huh? Well that's what it takes to be a miner in these parts. I hope that the weather is above -0 in your parts so that your regular clothes will suffice on your next prospect. Thanks for taking an interest in my need to pursuit this winter's activity. * A simple man ,,, gathering gold to make a living.

Offline lou2u

• Kudos: 0
  • i know it's here somewhere!
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
So another tip for the day, <-idea-> When I was a young sprite an old gal I knew used to know ice skated the frozen lakes of Canada for hours,  she said to take just a few grains of pepper and put them in your second pair of socks and it will keep your feet warm never against your skin it will blister it and not to much your feet will sweat and get cold from sweating, well I tried it I figured my feet get pretty cold so I went way over a few grains, OMG my feet were on fire!!!!!! now I just put acouple of grains when it is reallly cold and it WORKS don't ask me why I do not know it just does!  <-thinking-> Also I work with a guy out of New Zealand heavy into winter wave running and guiding we started gabbing about mining and cold water he sent me to a New Zealand site called Seventhwave, they have speciality winter wetsuit gear with state of the art neoprene although 4/3 winter wetsuits they are also titanium lined and allow for freedom of movment while winter surfing and diving, they also make a heated kidney belt so you may check it out I did and am intrigued. not cheap but custom fitted, he has been using them for years and are the one piece with the long pull cord in the back just incase the drysuit doesn't work out for you.
I saw a ray of sun today  <-yahoo_> Hoorah!!!!!!!!!!!
Mary Lou

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
With tips like that, who needs to go through the typical "trial & error" process. Keep those tips coming Mary Lou.

It's nearly time to put a close to this post. Winter is starting to give way to our wet seasonal Spring. I did however, make one last trip to the claim to retrieve some good gold. I'd like to think going back to the hole that created this discovery as: "I robbed the cradle." Two weeks ago before these melts, I  did the last "winter prospect" on no better place than the area that I started with this post. A much better depth proved to be a gratifying take. Picture #1 shows this winter/ice activity with some heavy rock removed. Pic #2 shows a great promise to all the previous diggings. This last day I found the best what lay beneath those rocks that I removed. Photos 3 & 4 is a closer look of the 1 gram nugget taken on that last venture (note the quartz sill inside this piece). Lastly, pictures 5 & 6 are of the last " Winter Gold Prospecting In Idaho." Stay tuned to the gold amount taken with a shovel, pick, pan, through the ice of Idaho in 2012.

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
Wow  <-hypnotized-> once again I'm blown away, you get such nice gold with just a pan. I've spent all day with 2 of us and a high banker and not even gotten half that, goes to show what perseverance and testing and more testing can find eh. Just wondering what kind of gold do you find in the top layers? And how deep do you dig to get down to bedrock? I've gone out to my claim 3 times now in 3 feet of snow, and am finding nice gold in every pan but most of it is in the top foot of gravel. When I get below that there seems to be less gold, I haven't gotten to bedrock and cleaned it yet.  My question to you is, do you get less gold but larger when you go deeper? Or further up the creek?         <-thinking-> thanks for the inspiration

Offline lou2u

• i know it's here somewhere!
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2012, 11:59:45 PM »
WOW Beautiful Stuff! I need to have you Bless my gold pan! maybe a blessing from the master will bring fortune I think my little flakes are dieing of lonelyness LOL!!!!!!!!!
Take care Summer is on the way guess your posts will be thin soon I really like the way you added the garnets Nice Pic's. may your spot refill dailey so the rest of us can watch your posts and dream, dream, dream!
Lou

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2012, 03:54:23 PM »
Tamarackman:
My claim yields more gold near the bedrock than it does in the gravels of overburden. Same can be said for the larger gold recovered. Bedrock here can be found within 1-3 feet of gravels. However, there are some areas that can be as deep as 5 ft. or more. As a rule of thumb, there has to be good reason (a good showing of color) to want to shovel gravel to the depth of 5 feet. It is a rare occasion that I do go that distance but never beyond. As for what colors exist in the gravels themselves, I have found no certain depth to where there was a "lesser amount." Unlike the layered pay streaks, the gold here is generally concentrated in curtain spots (commonly known as pockets). It is in these likely places that I find anywhere from 8-12 pcs. of gold per pan. A less concentrated area may only produce 1-2 pcs. of gold per 3 sample pans. Please keep in mind that these number of pieces are no smaller than 20+ mesh. Again, this would be my claim's "small gold or fines." Obviously, I choose to work the more concentrated areas and in doing so, 9 out of 10 times I'll find the bedrock and the larger gold.
   Not to change the subject but I have worked larger streams; finding no bedrock and virtually no gold values below the top 18" of gravel. In this circumstance, I found the only way to profit from such a stream, was to work only that first foot and half of overburden. In this recovery, the gold was much smaller (flood gold) and would be no larger than 30-50 mesh. As a prudent miner, I accepted this flood gold as payment and continued searching for better ground. That perseverance has finally paid off and its good fortune can be seen throughout my posts. For those who followed this particular post there was a total of 8 trips to the claim during the months of Jan - March. These trips in 2012 yeilded 16.4 grams of gold. My best wishes to all who mine the winter months! Cheers.

Offline NWminer

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 07:26:19 AM »
Wow,

You are a true miner! I thought I was crazy, But with all the gear you have to wear just to get there is a real workout. I would think with the pieces of gold with matrix would be coming from not to far away? Gold seems chunky and not to rounded. I think a few days up stream looking for the source would be warranted. You may even get into some better-larger pieces further up. I am excited for you and you have done well in your adventures,
God luck and may all your trips be this great!

NWminer

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »
Thanks IdahoGoldGettR for walking me through that I'm happy to be getting what I've got and hope that I can learn from the ground to find better paying ground. Like you were, I'm working what I think to be flood gold. I will keep working and testing different areas of my claim and hopefully I'll find some pockets with 20+ pieces and maybe even some nuggets at bedrock.
 May the summer be prosperous

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 03:05:41 PM »
Thanks for the comment NWminer. Much work has been done on this placer stream to indicate that the source exists not further upstream but up higher^^ (meaning hillside). That search will begin within the next 3-4 weeks. It should be a doozy of a work out but then again, I love a good thriller. I  hope to share this event with all when time permits. Until then, I thought I'd share a photo of this 2012 season gold take during the eight days of Jan - March (slightly better than a 1/2 ounce). A great start to a fabulous season yet to be unveiled. Once again thanks to all who have enjoyed this post!

Offline SpokaneTim

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2012, 10:55:03 PM »
That's a great hord especially considering the weather conditions. Do you know it's weight? 

Gear Pan
Gold Rat