collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

AlxMNS Gold Seeker

Dot Guests: 130 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12014
  • stats Total Posts: 117783
  • stats Total Topics: 16116
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

Author Topic: Boilerbox sluice to highbanker conversion - Video footage finally!  (Read 19173 times)

Offline scar420

• Kudos: 0
Since I can't use my sluice in a stream, and its too much work to use a drive pipe to get water to it on one of my claims that I would rather turn it into a high banker. So I had 2 ideas. One would be to just block the end off with a 2x4 and attach a spray bar but this would require all my material to be classified to 1/2" or 1/4" which is time consuming I think .. but still much easier than panning. But I would much rather add a hopper, a slightly more difficult task for me as I don't have access to metal working tools, so I have been looking at the 10" hopper with spraybar for the Keene a-52 that is available on this page CALIFORNIA SLUICE BOX - HIGH BANKER PARTS , now the only problem with this is the hopper is for a 10" sluice, my boilerbox explorer is 12" wide, I'm not too sure if that is going to be big enough, the only other one they have is 16" which is too big. So my only other option is making one out of wood which I don't really want to do but I will if there is no other option. I don't have a pump yet but I'm hoping I can pick one up in Cranbrook somewhere, something like a wx10 or wx15...I'll get to that after the highbanker is built.
So i guess my question is...would that 10" hopper from the link suitable for the sluice I have or would I be better off making one a bit wider out of 1x4? I really like the idea of having that drop riffle in there. Does anyone have one of these DIY hopper setups and could give me an exact measurement of the width of the bottom of the hopper please?
Also are there any other DIY type hopper setups which I can order online, similar in price to what cal sluice offers, they are the only ones I know of at the moment..

Any input would be much appreciated.

Video is on page 6.

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
Got any pictures of yer equipment, then might be able to make some suggestions..........Guest

Offline scar420

Here's a picture of the sluice.

12"x4ft

Vikingsniper

I seen these Blue recycling tubs at Home Depot, I was thinking about turning into a hopper. :)

Offline Guest

• New user
Okay assuming you don't have a lot of metal working tools at your disposal, would take and put a piece of wood in the one end, get some more expanded metal for riffles, available at most metal fab shops, check out their scrap bin, cash deals fairly cheap.
For a hopper, check out CT or Wallyworld, looking for rectanglur buckets, and cut to fit, then some punch plate for the grizz, again the metal shop, rivet into place or bolt, adjustable legs??? will have ta give that some thought........Guest

Offline scar420

Ok, I plan to take a trip into Cranbrook either today or monday, I think unique metals is open today so I would be able to grab some punch plate and expanded metal from there, though my neighbor has lots of extra expanded metal and offered me some last year so I can check with him before I go. I think I actually have a bin already that might work...one of the green ones from superstore, attached some pics...what do you think? Its the same plastic as the recycling bins, I have been using these for firewood and hauling dirt around.
I haven't thought that far ahead as the legs yet, I figured I would tackle that when I get that far..lol. Though I have some 1x2 trim that I might be able to figure something out with.

This is one of the green bins I have kicking around.

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 15
mornin scar; just checked my keene combi which has a 12" riffle box. the hopper is 11 3/4". they have just the hopper for sale which is also sold as an add on for the a-51 and a-52 sluices. it is # hbckh but pretty spendy at $280.00 . the cal-sluice hopper could probably work with some adaption for mounting but you would probably have to add an alaska flapper to spread the water out full width. there is also the possibility of making one out of the hopper from an old lawn spreader. also nothing wrong with building one out of wood just seal it real well. i built one several years ago out of an old arctic cat snowmachine tub with  a wood box set up to use as an on shore dredge or banker. sold it last year and it is still going strong. good luck.   jerry

Offline Guest

• New user
Some tin or aluminum riveted to the bottom with a sort of V  to direct things into the sluice box and the punch plate for the classifer in the top side for a grizz, pvc 1 inch inside dia for your spray bar, angle iron and some 3/4 sq tubing for legs, with 1 inch sq tubing for  the clamping thingys little welding, and yer off to the races..........Guest

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 34
    • Discover the Difference

I converted my Keene A-52 sluice to a highbanker by using a high density plastic
Rubbermaid container from Home Hardware. The translucent almost clear plastic
container is approximately 16" X 10" X 10" or very close to 10". I used 1/4" galvanized
ready rod for supports across the inside of the box to attach a grizzly screen which was
a chrome or nickel counter top plated rack for placing hot pots on. Rack was about 10" wide,
I clipped the feet off it and recall it was a tight fit. I may have made a slight modification
to the rack by clipping out a section. Used cable ties to tie it to the cross ready rod
supports. Also put some 1/4" hardware wire screen on top of the rack using cable ties
to secure the screen.

Material goes through the screen directly onto the slick plate. One ready rod support
doubles as a hinge to raise the box upward toward the front of the sluice. I bent some 
1/4" aluminum bar, attached it to the front bottom of the box, drilled holes in the bar
and sluice to take 1/4" bolts and wing nuts to secure the box to the sluice.

I used 1 1/4" PVC water pipe, the white pipe, for spray bars and a 2000 gph water
pump. Worked fine except the 1/4" screen tends to pick up organic type matter like
moss, etc. The Rubbermaid "hopper" and system is okay but more for hobby or testing
or if one does not want to put a lot of money into a beginner's system.

I made other mods to the sluice like V mat, a type of miner's moss and expanded
metal riffles. I did not use the Keene riffle system. I had to make a type of hold down
system to hold the expanded metal riffles flat against the moss. My sluice came with
typical 1/2" square aluminum tube legs complete with the bolts and wing nuts.

I cannot post a picture of my highbanker due to an accident. The Keene sluice was
okay but part of the Rubbermaid box got smashed.  {-censored-} When I repair
the highbanker, I will buy a proper 10" hopper!!

For production the rod type of grizzly those guys up in the Cariboo make would be
much better. You may be able to get a skookum proper "hopper" from those guys
made exactly to your needs if you are going into serious hand mining. Believe I
have seen hoppers available from other suppliers too if you look around.

Wow, lots of action posts on your need for a hopper while I was typing this!
So there you go with lots of good ideas. Punch plate on the ready rod supports
is a great idea!   <-good_>

Best of luck with your project.

:)

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 15
 <-good_> ditto on the moss and grasses on the screen as placer mentions. happens with the punch plate also. a bit of a pain but not the end of the world. bars are better but harder to build.. cheers   jerry