GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: sinister_steve - Monday, 01 September 2014 04:32
so anyone in kamloops that can e mail me that has a claim that's worth panning. I will pay if needed. I am tired of flakes I dont want up tranquil cr and watching cr. been to both many many times in the past 15yrs and never find anything worth keeping just small flakes.< >plesse e mail me< >hod333@hotmail.com< >thanks< >steve Panning
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

September 01, 2014, 11:29:18 AM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Gold Cube
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Boilerbox sluice to highbanker conversion - Video footage finally!  (Read 14444 times)
scar420
Trade Count: (0)

Canada Canada

Province/ State: BC

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:05:43 AM »

Since I can't use my sluice in a stream, and its too much work to use a drive pipe to get water to it on one of my claims that I would rather turn it into a high banker. So I had 2 ideas. One would be to just block the end off with a 2x4 and attach a spray bar but this would require all my material to be classified to 1/2" or 1/4" which is time consuming I think .. but still much easier than panning. But I would much rather add a hopper, a slightly more difficult task for me as I don't have access to metal working tools, so I have been looking at the 10" hopper with spraybar for the Keene a-52 that is available on this page CALIFORNIA SLUICE BOX - HIGH BANKER PARTS , now the only problem with this is the hopper is for a 10" sluice, my boilerbox explorer is 12" wide, I'm not too sure if that is going to be big enough, the only other one they have is 16" which is too big. So my only other option is making one out of wood which I don't really want to do but I will if there is no other option. I don't have a pump yet but I'm hoping I can pick one up in Cranbrook somewhere, something like a wx10 or wx15...I'll get to that after the highbanker is built.
So i guess my question is...would that 10" hopper from the link suitable for the sluice I have or would I be better off making one a bit wider out of 1x4? I really like the idea of having that drop riffle in there. Does anyone have one of these DIY hopper setups and could give me an exact measurement of the width of the bottom of the hopper please?
Also are there any other DIY type hopper setups which I can order online, similar in price to what cal sluice offers, they are the only ones I know of at the moment..

Any input would be much appreciated.

Video is on page 6.

New user

Canada Canada

Province/ State: B.C.

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 1

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Forum Sponsor Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:24:24 AM »

Got any pictures of yer equipment, then might be able to make some suggestions..........Guest
scar420

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »

Here's a picture of the sluice.

12"x4ft

Vikingsniper
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »

I seen these Blue recycling tubs at Home Depot, I was thinking about turning into a hopper. Smiley
New user

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Forum Sponsor Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »

Okay assuming you don't have a lot of metal working tools at your disposal, would take and put a piece of wood in the one end, get some more expanded metal for riffles, available at most metal fab shops, check out their scrap bin, cash deals fairly cheap.
For a hopper, check out CT or Wallyworld, looking for rectanglur buckets, and cut to fit, then some punch plate for the grizz, again the metal shop, rivet into place or bolt, adjustable legs??? will have ta give that some thought........Guest
scar420

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:33:32 AM »

Ok, I plan to take a trip into Cranbrook either today or monday, I think unique metals is open today so I would be able to grab some punch plate and expanded metal from there, though my neighbor has lots of extra expanded metal and offered me some last year so I can check with him before I go. I think I actually have a bin already that might work...one of the green ones from superstore, attached some pics...what do you think? Its the same plastic as the recycling bins, I have been using these for firewood and hauling dirt around.
I haven't thought that far ahead as the legs yet, I figured I would tackle that when I get that far..lol. Though I have some 1x2 trim that I might be able to figure something out with.

This is one of the green bins I have kicking around.

juu907
PPT Invited

United States United States

Province/ State: alaska

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 15

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:39 AM »

mornin scar; just checked my keene combi which has a 12" riffle box. the hopper is 11 3/4". they have just the hopper for sale which is also sold as an add on for the a-51 and a-52 sluices. it is # hbckh but pretty spendy at $280.00 . the cal-sluice hopper could probably work with some adaption for mounting but you would probably have to add an alaska flapper to spread the water out full width. there is also the possibility of making one out of the hopper from an old lawn spreader. also nothing wrong with building one out of wood just seal it real well. i built one several years ago out of an old arctic cat snowmachine tub with  a wood box set up to use as an on shore dredge or banker. sold it last year and it is still going strong. good luck.   jerry

* ac hb 2.JPG (305.24 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 718 times.)
New user

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 10:42:41 AM »

Some tin or aluminum riveted to the bottom with a sort of V  to direct things into the sluice box and the punch plate for the classifer in the top side for a grizz, pvc 1 inch inside dia for your spray bar, angle iron and some 3/4 sq tubing for legs, with 1 inch sq tubing for  the clamping thingys little welding, and yer off to the races..........Guest
PlacerPal

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 34

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam Awarded to members who report forum related errors Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »

I converted my Keene A-52 sluice to a highbanker by using a high density plastic
Rubbermaid container from Home Hardware. The translucent almost clear plastic
container is approximately 16" X 10" X 10" or very close to 10". I used 1/4" galvanized
ready rod for supports across the inside of the box to attach a grizzly screen which was
a chrome or nickel counter top plated rack for placing hot pots on. Rack was about 10" wide,
I clipped the feet off it and recall it was a tight fit. I may have made a slight modification
to the rack by clipping out a section. Used cable ties to tie it to the cross ready rod
supports. Also put some 1/4" hardware wire screen on top of the rack using cable ties
to secure the screen.

Material goes through the screen directly onto the slick plate. One ready rod support
doubles as a hinge to raise the box upward toward the front of the sluice. I bent some 
1/4" aluminum bar, attached it to the front bottom of the box, drilled holes in the bar
and sluice to take 1/4" bolts and wing nuts to secure the box to the sluice.

I used 1 1/4" PVC water pipe, the white pipe, for spray bars and a 2000 gph water
pump. Worked fine except the 1/4" screen tends to pick up organic type matter like
moss, etc. The Rubbermaid "hopper" and system is okay but more for hobby or testing
or if one does not want to put a lot of money into a beginner's system.

I made other mods to the sluice like V mat, a type of miner's moss and expanded
metal riffles. I did not use the Keene riffle system. I had to make a type of hold down
system to hold the expanded metal riffles flat against the moss. My sluice came with
typical 1/2" square aluminum tube legs complete with the bolts and wing nuts.

I cannot post a picture of my highbanker due to an accident. The Keene sluice was
okay but part of the Rubbermaid box got smashed.  Censored When I repair
the highbanker, I will buy a proper 10" hopper!!

For production the rod type of grizzly those guys up in the Cariboo make would be
much better. You may be able to get a skookum proper "hopper" from those guys
made exactly to your needs if you are going into serious hand mining. Believe I
have seen hoppers available from other suppliers too if you look around.

Wow, lots of action posts on your need for a hopper while I was typing this!
So there you go with lots of good ideas. Punch plate on the ready rod supports
is a great idea!   Good

Best of luck with your project.

Smiley

juu907
PPT Invited

United States United States

Province/ State: alaska

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 15

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 11:05:01 AM »

Good ditto on the moss and grasses on the screen as placer mentions. happens with the punch plate also. a bit of a pain but not the end of the world. bars are better but harder to build.. cheers   jerry

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: