collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 149 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130591
  • stats Total Topics: 18276
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Built my own drop trap sluice  (Read 91640 times)

Offline rgecy

• Kudos: 0
Re: Built my own drop trap sluice
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »
Well I finally got a chance to test my Fluid Bed Highbanker.  Here are some picts of it in operation.  We moved several yards of dirt no problem and it trapped even the very fine gold.  I did make a design modification and put a 1 inch diverter just behind the entrance to the fluid bed that would stop the water from flowing straight across the top of the bed and push the materials down in to it.  I think this helped trap some of the fines instead of allowing the high current flow to push them out the back.

Robert

Offline Maddog419

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2012, 11:47:08 PM »
I hope you can get enough information from this patent:

Sluice trap

Please show some pictures when you are ready.
1st thanks all for sharing your ideas,,,I like this design myself and might mess with it...But from what I see in some of your builds and the patent is one big major flaw...When you look close at 28/30 this is what makes this settup work...Sluice trap
Gold being heavy flow close to the bottom num 28 creates a drop in pressure and the gold follows it...I would think in my mind that an airplane wing design would work better,,,meaning that from the grizzly to the drop num 28...
Num 30 in this settup is just to force the gold back down in the box and let the lighter stuff float out...I,m thinking of a cone settup also for the box part of 52a/52b---I would keep the sq part of the box for max water flow but run it to a cone design at the end...That way the tube num 14 would get more water pressure,,,JMO
It would only make sense on this settup to have some type of earth magnet to help remove some of the black sands,,,clay you can see on your rocks and black sand you'll see on your magnet...

This is always a big plus on knowing when to do clean-outs,,,if I was in the testing of this settup I would run an earth magnet at least on the clean out end to see how it is doing...

GL

Offline Maddog419

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »
Tested my wooden gold trap version today.  You can read more about the different features of mine (compared to the bazooka) on the original post I did about it, way back in the thread.

Ok so I carried it all the way down to a stream to test today. It felt like a long walk in carrying that thing! Mine is much heavier then the bazooka and it was noticeable by the time I got to the stream, took about 15 minutes to hike there from the road.

Anyway, I picked a spot that I have worked before and always found fines there. No bedrock or false bedrock to skew results, just a gravel bar that washes down and comes back after every good rain, like we have had lately.

I used one of my pans behind it and tested the tailings. Some fine gold was getting out. In 8 pans, I had 4-5 pieces of 60 to sub 100 mesh gold in one pan, and a couple pans had 2 small 80 mesh or below.  2 of the pans had no gold visible. And 3 of them had 1-3 small 100 mesh, with one of those also having a thin about 40 mesh piece in there. So I was losing some small gold, but I think it was partly my fault. On my design, there's no kind of break inside to slow down the slurry. I am going to add some carpeting, fabric, or plastic, that will look kind of like the brushes you see hanging down in a carwash. Also I was running a little bit extra drop to help push the gravel off faster. It worked, but I think it was just too much drop for the fine gold.  I still captured a lot of fines, as you will see from the cleanup, but recovery could be better.  

Another thing I messed up on was I made the back top piece too high and it wouldnt fit in the bucket until I took that last top support bracket off. I will redesign that bracket somewhere else.  Luckily I had brought a screwdriver so I was able to remove it and get it in the bucket to cleanup.

On the plus side, the narrow width of mine helped push the oversize up and out much better then the bazooka does. The leaf blockers worked great and I had no plugups on the grizzly from leafs or other debris. The 4 mesh screen was almost perfect size, if still a bit big, but It kept the gravel I did get to a minimum, as when I screened it all down to 8 mesh, I only had about 20 1/4 mesh in there, and most of that was hematite with a couple garnets.  

Here it is setup.

With some rocks in it, notice all the small ones are already gone.

You can see where I had to take the top support bracket off to fit it in the bucket. Duh!

I didnt get to stay long to test it like I wanted, only about two hours total which was barely enough time, but I managed to dig a decent hole and sample pan the tailings after every 5-6 shovels full. Had to take the puppies to the vet. Hopefully this weekend I can get some more testing time in. All in all, I am pleased with how it did. It captured a really good amount of gold for the spot, even more then the bazookas cleanup from almost the exact same spot.

Cleanup:

To do list:

Fabricate something to slow down the water going through the trap better and also to break surface tension. A hanging brush would work good for this I think.

Also have to fix the back support bracket to fit inside the bucket. I might just add another side support since it seems sturdy enough.

I have a video of it in action but that will have to wait as I have some online work to do for college tonight.

Nice pic's,,,they do make sq buckets tho...On breaking the surface tension---I've done it a few different ways but what I've found that works best and easy (cheap too)  use dawn dish washing soap...Just fill a old sponge up with it and put it in a old sock,,,somewhere in the water flow...Just sqezz it and you will know when to refill it,,,you can use bar soap cut-up if need be also.

GL

Offline Maddog419

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2012, 12:35:20 AM »
Well I finally got a chance to test my Fluid Bed Highbanker.  Here are some picts of it in operation.  We moved several yards of dirt no problem and it trapped even the very fine gold.  I did make a design modification and put a 1 inch diverter just behind the entrance to the fluid bed that would stop the water from flowing straight across the top of the bed and push the materials down in to it.  I think this helped trap some of the fines instead of allowing the high current flow to push them out the back.

Robert

Nice--I like your helpers,,,get all the fam doing it...Just something that will help you out,,,I would build a 3 or 4 foot kicker out of the rear---that way the rocks do not build-up on the legs,,,saves alot of down time when cleaning the rocks away...I also use some 3/4" to 1" belting on the end of the grizzly,,,you can just wire loop it on if need be,,,what this does is make sure all the rocks are clean before the weight of them passes out the back side...I set everything for a one man working fource,,,I would have turn my high banker around the other way...Just easyier to kick the rocks downhill then uphill...

GL

Offline Fleng

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
Not sure why you want to use untreated white pine. I think a coat of poly or varnish would stretch the lifetime of the sluice considerably. I can see not wanting to use treated wood as the poisen would leech out.

Offline adangher

• New user
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »
I have read a couple of the posts and convinced me to become part of the group. It has also inspired me to built my own trap. I have used it for roughly two months and am very pleased with the results. Justhave to figure out how to post pictures. I have been going out to the local river infresno ca. This river us part of an ancient river system and has a history of gold. The gold here is very fine. That is why for my grizzlyscreen I used quarter in drilled plate.

Offline tiger4life

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
Here's my version of the gold trap sluice.

Its almost done, I just have to seal a couple seams on the back trap, and then add some more waterproofing.

I took pictures of it next to the bazooka to help show its dimensions.

My version is narrower then the Bazooka. I did this on purpose, when you have excessive width you are wasting energy that could be better spent moving overburden up and out of the sluice. Mine starts at 10 inches wide and tapers to 6 inches at the end. It continues tapering right up until the end because the narrower width should help push the oversize out of the sluice.

The first four pics is of the bottom section and the trap.

Top part that tapers inward, plus the grizzly.  

Inside the bottom half of mine.

Bottom half of the bazooka.

And then side by side photos of mine next to the bazooka.

For anyone not familiar with how these work, they use a fluidized bed principle to keep the material in the trap liquidized. As long as you keep the trap full of water, the material coming in from the top will settle the heavies in the trap and the lighter material will wash out the back. They work great in that they have a built in classifier and I can move about double as much material with a trap sluice like the Bazooka then my drop riffle sluices.  Also, its about impossible to lose gold, unless you displace the gold in the trap with something both heavier and smaller (which is hard to do).

There's downsides to one of these though. They require more water then a normal sluice or a drop riffle and in fact, the more water you give them the better they run. Also they generate massive amounts of tailings which have to be shoveled from behind the sluice or the trap will not work right.
From the picture looking into the backside of the Bazooka seems to be made out of Aluminum very interesting did not know that.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat