collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 161 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12991
  • stats Total Posts: 130634
  • stats Total Topics: 18282
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Built my own drop trap sluice  (Read 91666 times)

Offline goldmann

• Kudos: 1
Re: Built my own drop trap sluice
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »
drop trap sluice  drop trap sluice

Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice (a fluid bed, how it works, an inside look)

Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 1

YouTube
        - Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 1

Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 2

YouTube
        - Looking for Gold - Episode 6 - Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice - Part 2

I wrote Todd at Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice and he told me that his sluices(Mini, Prospector, and Miner) CAN be made into a highbanker but he did not elaborate and explain how to do this or how it can be done?

1)  Does anyone know how the Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice is at catching fine gold?? Good to catching down what mesh size of gold?? Will it catch 100, 50, or only +20 mesh sized gold??

Offline muconium

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »
drop trap sluice  drop trap sluice

I wrote Todd at Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice and he told me that his sluices(Mini, Prospector, and Miner) CAN be made into a highbanker but he did not elaborate and explain how to do this or how it can be done?

1)  Does anyone know how the Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice is at catching fine gold?? Good to catching down what mesh size of gold?? Will it catch 100, 50, or only +20 mesh sized gold??

Here is a drop trap sluice set up as a highbanker, thanks to Indy and Nugget:

YouTube
        - Bazooka Type Highbanker / Dredge

It's strange that you got a response from "Todd." I wrote and called him to make sure they were still in business. I got no response and went on to make my own "Bazooka."

Rusty dirt makes me drool.

Offline rgecy

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2011, 11:45:14 PM »
Starting to assemble the pieces on my Power Sluice with Gold Trap!  Didn't get enought time to get it finished this week, but should be done by Tuesday/Wed and headed up to NC.

Robert

Offline Toppossum

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
  • He who hesitates waits.
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2011, 06:29:39 AM »
Excellent fabrication work.  Very impressive it looks professionally done. 

Offline astrobouncer

• Province/State: Greenville South Carolina
  • Kudos: 13
  • If your back aint sore, you didnt move enough dirt
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2011, 08:06:43 AM »
1)  Does anyone know how the Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice is at catching fine gold?? Good to catching down what mesh size of gold?? Will it catch 100, 50, or only +20 mesh sized gold??

It will catch 100 mesh and smaller all day long. I use 4 mesh screens most of the time and still catch tons of fines (-60 and smaller). If all I had was fine gold I would go smaller with mesh size to perhaps 20, but sometimes I find some decent coarse stuff so I like to stick with the 4 mesh.

Heres some of my recent cleanups with it.

Offline muconium

• PPT Invited
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
Robert, that looks good enough to eat from. Seriously, you should go into production with your work... You might find lots of customers on the forum.

;D

Offline rgecy

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »
Robert, that looks good enough to eat from. Seriously, you should go into production with your work... You might find lots of customers on the forum.

;D

Thanks for the compliment!  Not sure about production, its been a lot of hard work!  Believe it or not, I had never used a sheet metal brake till now.  Although, I learned a lot from this one and probably could fab it a lot faster and make some imrovements on the next go around!

I am very detail oriented (probably too much) and spent a lot of time on the dimensions and engineering to figure out how to make this thing work.

I think the coolest part is the fold down door on the trap to get the cons out.  This thing cant be just tilted up into a 5 gallon bucket to clean out the cons.  So I had to figure a way to do it while it was still in place.  Thought about the drain plug like in the Schmidt patent, but it just seemed like the gold could still be trapped in the corner and hard to rinse out.  This way, it will all wash down into a a tub. 

Robert

Offline muconium

• PPT Invited
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »

I think the coolest part is the fold down door on the trap to get the cons out.  This thing cant be just tilted up into a 5 gallon bucket to clean out the cons.  So I had to figure a way to do it while it was still in place.  Thought about the drain plug like in the Schmidt patent, but it just seemed like the gold could still be trapped in the corner and hard to rinse out.  This way, it will all wash down into a a tub. 

Robert

One of my deciding factors for not putting in baffles was the problem of getting the cons out. I also lost sight of main goal: to make a replica of a Bazooka and see how it works. I plan to test it with a definite number of lead birdshot, which I can count at the beginning and end of the day...

I had a flash of insight about 2 hours ago when I was just looking at my work and figuring out what's left to do: The trap on a Bazooka has an entry and exit that are in line with the flow of water, and I think that makes everybody have doubts about their ability to keep gold in the trap without the current scouring it out. So, why not close off the downstream exit-slit and have the flow of water and tailing-slurry leave through the two sides of the trap?

The pipes that cause the fluid bed in my trap are NOT set at right angles to the flow of water (although I read that setting them at right angles helps in gold retention). One of the problems solved by a side-exit would be that the flow would, at least for a short distance, be forced to move at right angles to the pvc pipe.

I might try this if I make another one. Just thought I'd share the thought.

Offline johanssonsan

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Marsta Sweden
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2011, 06:59:08 AM »

Offline rgecy

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
WOW! THAT KID IS LIKE....WHAT 12 YEARS OLD!  DID YOU SEE THE SLUICE BOX HE MADE ALSO?

HE SEEMS PRETTY SERIOUS ABOUT GOLD PROSPECTING.

Robert

YouTube
        - gold panning kit

Gear Pan
Gold Rat