collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 185 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131073
  • stats Total Topics: 18332
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Built my own drop trap sluice  (Read 92092 times)

Offline astrobouncer

• Province/State: Greenville South Carolina
  • Kudos: 13
  • If your back aint sore, you didnt move enough dirt
Re: Built my own drop trap sluice
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 06:12:33 PM »

Guys, have you seen this?

http://49ermike.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=181&topic_id=83896&mesg_id=83896&listing_type=search

Lots more good fluid-bed stuff.

----Snip----
 The patent says that these "overhangs" above the trap are "important to the operation of the device because when the fluid and material enter the first opening there is a tendency for the fluid and material to move directly to the second opening and immediately exit carrying some of the desirable material [gold] out of the container. The overhang causes the flow to strike the side and the overhang and curl back against the flange where it is directed downwardly toward the center of the container. This gives the heavier material a greater opportunity to fall to the bottom of the container."

----------

Right, this is what my own testing shows. Fine gold entering the bazooka will be carried right out the back with the rest of the slurry if the current is too strong. Which is why I am going to be testing some brushes in there to force the material down and into the trap better, instead of just riding the current out. I might have to make some modifications to the trap beyond turning the water pipe sideways as well. Thanks for the info and I am glad to be able to talk with someone else that is interested in this design.     

Offline muconium

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 06:23:15 PM »

glad to be able to talk with someone else that is interested in this design.     
[/quote]

I've been pretty much obsessing over it since the weekend!! LOL. That thread also was pretty inspiring, plus the fact that there are three of us all working on our own projects at the same time.

The design solves SO MANY damn problems that I've had, too. Classifying is such a big time drain. It takes away way too much time from actualy digging...
Rusty dirt makes me drool.

Offline muconium

• PPT Invited
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
Astrobouncer, what about something like this:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Same as the Schmidt, but inserted under the flat deck that Bazooka has above their trap where the grizzly bars terminate. The "deck" could be lowered down a little to force water under the deck and create a steady, reliable flow of water past the trap-openings.........

Just a thought.  <-thinking-> <-thinking->

Offline astrobouncer

• Province/State: Greenville South Carolina
  • Kudos: 13
  • If your back aint sore, you didnt move enough dirt
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »
It looks interesting and might work better then how it does now. Needs some testing!

Offline rgecy

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 06:58:49 PM »
I am very intrigued by this design.  I would like to incorporate it in to a power sluice design though that would allow a higher rate of material thru it.  I think I have the basic understanding of how to do it, but facing the delima of how to design it so it can be easily cleaned out.  I guess it would have to be detachable some how or have some type of drain plug to release the concentrates.

The ability to feed big shovel fulls into a hopper that classifies it down to 1/2" minus and then down the sluice into the fluid bed trap with 1/4" or 3/16" minus material.  Hmmmm!  Just sounds peachy to me.  Maybe even some riffles before it to catch any larger pickers!  I think I am starting to salivate!

Any thoughts?

Robert

Offline Toppossum

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
  • He who hesitates waits.
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »
I am also thinking of using a design with a removable trap and riffles to trap larger gold before it reaches the trap.  The riffles I'm thinking about would be a drop riffle design.  The material for the drop riffle would be plastic cutting board 3/4 inch thick and the riffles would be routered into the plastic board.   The board would not get water logged like wood, should last longer, and should weigh less than a wooden equivalent.  I think that this design would catch quite a bit of the gold before it reached the drop trap.  Any thoughts on this?

Offline muconium

• PPT Invited
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
I am very intrigued by this design.  I would like to incorporate it in to a power sluice design though that would allow a higher rate of material thru it.  I think I have the basic understanding of how to do it, but facing the delima of how to design it so it can be easily cleaned out.  I guess it would have to be detachable some how or have some type of drain plug to release the concentrates.

The ability to feed big shovel fulls into a hopper that classifies it down to 1/2" minus and then down the sluice into the fluid bed trap with 1/4" or 3/16" minus material.  Hmmmm!  Just sounds peachy to me.  Maybe even some riffles before it to catch any larger pickers!  I think I am starting to salivate!

Any thoughts?

Robert

Robert, this link might help you.

http://49ermike.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=181&topic_id=83765

The thread starts out talking about Bazooka Gold Company sluices, but eventually shifts to talk about fluid-beds in general. If you scroll down until you see some pics, there is one of a fluid-bed made out of some PVC and a kitty-liiter box that the maker used in-line with his high-banker. I didn't read it all (I'm more concerened with making a replica of a Bazooka sluice, which is a modification of the Schmidt Black Magic sluice) so I don't want to repeat what he said about his method cuz I might mislead you. But, you can just let your tailings from the high-banker drop into the kitty litter box, after they've been classified down to less than 1/4". The fluid-bed runs on a separate pump, or a by running a line from your high-banker pump. It seems pretty easy....

Offline muconium

• PPT Invited
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 03:18:33 PM »
I am also thinking of using a design with a removable trap and riffles to trap larger gold before it reaches the trap.  The riffles I'm thinking about would be a drop riffle design.  The material for the drop riffle would be plastic cutting board 3/4 inch thick and the riffles would be routered into the plastic board.   The board would not get water logged like wood, should last longer, and should weigh less than a wooden equivalent.  I think that this design would catch quite a bit of the gold before it reached the drop trap.  Any thoughts on this?

Astrobouncer makes his own drop-riffle sluices. He uses wood and coats them with truck-bed-liner paint, which is something I'm about to try on my wood drop-trap sluice.....

Offline muconium

• PPT Invited
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 03:57:33 PM »

Toppossum, I also want to test my drop-trap, once it's done, by running the tailings into my LeTrap. Which is backwards of your plan......... lol.

Offline Toppossum

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
  • He who hesitates waits.
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 09:13:31 AM »

Toppossum, I also want to test my drop-trap, once it's done, by running the tailings into my LeTrap. Which is backwards of your plan......... lol.

muconium, whatever works I'll giv'er a try.  Experimentation is half the fun of this hobby.  The idea of the drop riffles at the top was to catch small nuggets and gold.  That way I would have some visual clues to the gold being there without having to clean the trap to check.  Of course I could just buy a Gold Spear and then just poke it into the trap every once in a while to check if gold is present, but that wouldn't be as much fun.  ;)

Gear Pan
Gold Rat