collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

garryk50suburbanator

Dot Guests: 135 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131082
  • stats Total Topics: 18333
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: My VAC-PAC Version  (Read 10198 times)

Offline MIKEW$$MAG

• Kudos: 0
My VAC-PAC Version
« on: October 04, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »
I found some plans on the WWW for a Vacuum Suction device using a leaf blower and a five gallon bucket. However the plans were quite old and I could not find the suggested leaf blowers. I just picked up a "Homelite Mighty Lite 26bv. I will post the pictures as soon as possible. The blower is extremely light and comes with a leaf vacuum attachment for the bottom that is easily shortened and attached to a bucket lid (one way of doing it). I also adapted an ABS (black plastic) drain pipe reducer to fit over the bottom of the blower. Its a little heavier and provides better support for the blower. The reducer is 5 Inch to 4 Inch and I had a local machine shop remove 1/8 inch from the inside of the 5 Inch opening to provide a slip fit to the bottom of the blower. I will update this posting when I finish the VAC-PACK and provide some pictures.

Offline shiver

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Canada
  • Kudos: 25
    • CGPF
Re: My VAC-PAC Version
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 05:47:14 PM »
Looking forward to seeing them MIKEW$$MAG  {cool^sign}

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 05:24:44 AM »
Is the homelite the best!I here that brand  mentioned all the time,I want to build a vac pac,but why waste money on a wimpy one,I want to find the most suction you can get!It sure costs alot for a factort built one.The Jobe vac-pac claims to be the strongest suction?Could a guy make one better than that?If I didd buy one that would be the one,but where would a guy order one in canada?

Offline MIKEW$$MAG

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 09:48:16 AM »
Not sure if Homelite is the best way to go. The Mighty Lite BV is designed to be a Blower / Vacuum not just a blower, the blower side is supposed to put out 200 MPH exhaust not sure where that relates to the strength of the vacuum side until I test it. It is a lot lighter that most of the other blowers I picked up (at my age the weight matters). I will keep you posted as I progress. The blower/vacuum is listed at this web site for $89.00 U.S Homelite :: UT08550 also you can order a reconditioned at this web site https://www.gardnerinc.com/recons/lawn_garden/catalog_lg.php for $62.99. I bought one here and it was in excellent condition and cheaper than I could find at a gargage sale.

Offline iso9001

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »
Homelite has good value.  If you spend more on a better brand, you may not get an increase in CFM airflow but you will get a longer lasting blower.  I dont think you need to worry about having the worlds most powerfull vac-pack, so long as you have a pick and a wire brush to loosen up the gravel, none of them should have any trouble sucking it up.  For example, I own a top of the line Echo backpack blower, cost me almost 800$ a few years back, It COULD be modified to fit on top of a 5 gallon bucket, but it would probably just suck everything right through it, WAY too powerfull.  Stick with the handhelds.

If you are looking for a reputable brand name for a blower that will last a long time and start consistently, look into a Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo.  I personaly like Echo myself, 5 year consumer warranty and the quietest of the bunch.  Plus, it's the brand that Keene and Jobe vac-packs use.  The Jobe vac-pack uses a slightly higher model of Echo blower than the keene, but the difference shouldn't be noticed for this application.

Really, for gold mining, unless you live in the desert, that homelite is the way to go.  If it ever breaks down, just buy 3 replacements and you're still ahead in ca$h!

Do your research and good luck!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat