collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 166 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12991
  • stats Total Posts: 130634
  • stats Total Topics: 18282
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Yuba Jig  (Read 11206 times)

Offline ramdu

• Kudos: 0
Yuba Jig
« on: December 19, 2010, 03:17:19 PM »
I am looking at purchasing a well used 42x42 Yuba jig, I figgered I better do some homework first and check out the price of diaphrams as the ones on it are pretty sketchy. I can't seem to source any parts suppliers for this unit. Anybody know where you can get diaphrams for this?  What the cost might be? The way they are designed it would be very difficult if not impossible to make yourself.
                                                                 Thanks Randy

Offline TnGldHntr

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: North East Tennessee
Re: Yuba Jig
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »
This is the only thing I can find on it. Yuba Jig
I did find mention that the company that was manufacturing them went out of buisness in 1957.

Offline J-Bear

• J-Bear
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
I have seen info that a tire can be trimmed and used as diaphragm.
 :)

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »
The Yuba Jig design has several diaphram designs depending on what materials the manufacturers have available.
You will have to look at what they have used but as an example I have seen everything from conveyor belting to diaphrams from diaphram pumps used.
Keep in mind that you can adapt the jig to a new material setup as long as you can match the action with the drive mechanism.
Amazing what a little bit of time and a welder can get done.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline ramdu

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 07:44:29 PM »
Thanks guys; Ive looked at a few jigs and i've never seen a diaphram like this one. I'ts a molded piece of rubber, with a bellows cast into it. there is only 6 inches between the mount on the hopper and the centre plate on the plunger, and the whole thing is over 30 inches across. I guess it could be converted to the flat style diaphram, but it would be hard to get the same stroke out of a flat piece of rubber as this one gets out of folded material. That might be the answer though, shorten the stroke to match the new material. right now it strokes over 6 inches, and i'm not sure that much is neccessary! 

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »
it is a question of displacement in the hutch. The bellows allows greater throw on the camming arm. You want sufficent displacement to move the volume of water and sometimes thats done with big diaphram and shorter throw or smaller diaphram and longer throw. The actual movement of the water may appear to be minor but of course the larger the hutch the more volume that diaphram has to move. Yu can easily do a calculation to determine how much volume would need to be moved to move the jig bed a certain amount though calculation of the volume the bellows will move can be tricky.
Depending on the overall design you might get away with a straight switch over to a relatively thin flexible diaphram material that may be flat but has the flex to make up for the lack of bellows. You may face higher wear on it but if its cheap and easy to replace it just become part of the regular maintainance. There are some very tough conveyor materials out there that would easliy last months.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline Steppegold

• Province/State: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:53:31 AM »
Hi Randy

Your post caught my attention.

Are you certain its a Yuba Jig?
You mentioned its dimension as being "42x42". This suggests its a Duplex Jig (42inch seesawing with a second 42inch jig), and that makes me think its a Pan-American Duplex Jig.

To check, you can see pictures of Pan-American Jigs at these manufacturers' websites:
 USA -International Resource Development Inc (IRD) of Carson City, Nevada - AAA Manufacturing
 USA - Goldfield Engineering Co, of Lindon, Utah - Goldfield Engineering Co. - Gold Recovery Equipment
 THAILAND - Dove Engineering Ltd – Mining equipment, mining equipment machinery manufacturer, gold mining, mineral mining, metal mining, gem mining equipment
 CHINA - China National Gold Corporation (CNGC) - www.chinagold.org.placer.html

If it is the standard 42"x42" Pan-American Jig, then there is a very useful study by Daniel Walsh, Dhoma Rao and Donald Cook (1987) who listed these adjustable features:
 amount of ragging- typically 425lbs (193 kilos) per cell;
 type of ragging– typically 3/16 inch (4.75mm) steel shot;
 feed pulp density– 30% to 60% (w/w);
 feed rate– 20 yd to 30yd per hour (15 to 23m per hour);
 hutch water added– 50 to 100 gallons per minute for each cell (2.3 to 4.5m
 stroke length– ¾ inch to 1½ inch (19 to 38mm); and
 stroke frequency-120 to 200 cycles per minute.

Back to Yuba Jigs - here are my notes...

Yuba jigs were first built by Yuba Manufacturing Co of California USA and awarded Richards jigs have been built in the several decades by Richards Engineering (Richards Engineering Ltd. - Alluvial Mining Plant & Equipment). Of particular relevance  is that the manufacturer has a long experience in manufacturing plants mounted on wheeled trailer units. These units are towable to the mine site and have proved themselves in the frequent small relocating that is the with trucking of placer eliminated and rendering achievement of continuous rehabilitation of the mine site not only possible but affordable.

Yuba-Richards jigs differ from other ‘diaphragm jigs’ by the diaphragm being positioned on the outer wall of the hutch and therefore easy to inspect and replace without expensive delay - the diaphragm of other ‘diaphragm’ jigs is inside thej diaphragm at the drive end is straightforward – drain off the hutch water, remove 4 bolts through the centre flanges, uncouple 2 side connecting rods, remove the clamp band and then lift out the complete diaphragm.

Hope this info helps.

Steppe

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 09:02:07 AM »
The suggestion of a bellows shaped diaphram had me thinking Pan Am as well.
Randy where were the diaphams mounted?
How are they driven?

For awhile I saw a whole bunch of Yuba design jigs show up made by various small companies. All sorts of variations on the Yuba theme.
Any other details you can share would be handy.

Offline ramdu

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 02:06:09 PM »
Ok Guys; It says Yuba man. on a plate on the side. The diaphrams are mounted on the front and the back of the two hutches. It is electrically powered with a double acting rod setup that runns down both sides of the unit. It is unique to any others I have seen in the fact it has 2 rods pushing opposite each other for each diaphram. This gives double the pulses for each hutch. Any of the pan american ones I have seen have the diaphrams on the bottom with a single actuating rod for both hutches.   This thing is NOT new, It's been around for a long long time. The forward diaphram is totally exposed to the sun and is very weather checked and perished. The rear is protected by the drive stuff and it looks fine. 

Offline Steppegold

• Province/State: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 04:57:26 AM »
Hi Randy, OK it has a Yuba plate on the side. The head spinner is that YES is means the jig was made by the Yuba Manufacturing Co., but they made a lot of different types of equipment including several types of jigs, not just the Yuba Jig.

Here is a photo of a set of new Yuba-Richards Jigs, given to me by the manufacturer for inclusion in a book:

Your description seems to tally fairly well with these. Yuba went bump, but Richards are still in the business.

I hope this helps

Steppe

BC Gold