GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: mcbain - Friday, 24 October 2014 04:04
Hi. B. J. rirght behind you on this one.I remember the Prime Minister that brought all these guys to canada.free citizen ship free couple years on welfare free every thing all you have to do is reac havoc a few years down the road. Well the havoc and war is here.And canada is not ready too fight the wars of crazy religous fanatics that put human life below dog poo.And the silly folks in power still want to take our rights to defend ourselfs.Wee are in for a nightmare that is not going away soon.Luck all Mcbain.
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

October 24, 2014, 10:31:00 PM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
advertise
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: microwave gold smelter  (Read 9189 times)
Traveller
PPT Invited
Trade Count: (0)

Canada Canada

Province/ State: British Columbia

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 1

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:27:07 PM »

Hello
The microwave gold smelter kit came up in a thread here about a month ago and was dismissed as a scam. As I discovered today, this is not true. This is a legitimate smelting device, does exactly what it claims and the process has been used industrially for years.
Just this afternoon, I ordered the Quicksand Concentrator from a company in California and had the pleasure of chatting with a fellow named Rob, who is credited with inventing this revolutionary concentrator. I commented that, while his concentrator is capable of capturing micron sized gold, it seemed counterproductive to try cleaning up the cons from this unit with a goldpan or spiral panner as most of the smallest gold would be lost in panning.
I mentioned that I had considered purchasing a gas fired kiln to smelt my cons and he asked if I had heard of the microwave gold smelter. I said I had , but most on this site felt it was just a scam. Not so, he said. He retails them for Angus McKirk and says he has many satisfied customers using them.
Of course, once off the phone I did a Google search on the smelter. Sure enough, I found everything from scientific papers on the process to YouTube videos to ads from companies marketing this item.
For $249, they give you the ceramic kiln, the kiln shelf, five pounds of custom flux, (4) 40 gram crucibles, one pair 18" fire tongs and a detailed instruction booklet.
Once everything is set up, smelting consists of running the microwave for 30-45 minutes on high.
Regards
Bob

"He was always cold, but the land of gold seemed to hold him like a spell.......Though he'd often say, in his homely way, that he'd "sooner live in Hell"......"
~~Robert W. Service~~

"When you live next to the graveyard, you can't cry for every funeral."   -  Russian Proverb

chadjensen
PPT Invited

United States United States

Province/ State: Utah

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 2

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:07:23 AM »

Unfortunatly I don't have 250 to try this out. Maybe we can take up a collection of maybe $20 a person and with 13 people we can buy this and send it to GMS and get a fair scientific evaluation. If the moderators would be willing to set up a paypal acct and handle the money.
What do you guys think?
Chad
tomcat
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 2

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »

Hummm...I'm still on the fence on this one....I suppost an assay of one of those buttons may tell us a bit more of just what is being captured...
To some people this might be the cats whiskers...I'm still pondering the benefit  Thinking
The button may have far less value than it appears  I Don't Know

New user

Canada Canada

Province/ State: B.C.

0.00 Nuggets

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Forum Sponsor Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:18:09 PM »

Kinda think I'll just build a gas fired one, was looking around the shop and found I had a old blower for this hidden in a corner, some fire bricks, will have to find some plans and crucible, the flux recipe will take some doing to find the ingredients in this backwoods town, so would most likely have to order that from Vancouver, but all in all can be done, likely around spring, would like to have it outside, the shops getting a little cramped as is, anyone know of some plans for a small forge...............Guest
jdrum

United States United States

Province/ State: alabama

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »

TRY IFORGE IRON THEY ARE A BLACKSMITH FORUN, AND HAVE ABOUT ANY THING YOU WANT
 ABOUT FORGES AND FURNACES.
Gas Forges - I Forge Iron
jim
New user

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Forum Sponsor Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:37:26 PM »

Cool, thanks, found a site on Microwave smelting, interesting heres the link...........Guest

Microwave melting of metals

New user

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »

With all this talk of smelting gold, I got to thinking, if you're smelting gold, you're going to be pouring it into molds, so the next logical question is what size of mold should a person have, got to thinking about it, and then the question, how much does a cubic inch of gold weigh popped up, seemed like a easy thing to visualize, so did a bit of surfing and came across this for an answer, seems about right....................Guest

What does a cubic inch of gold weigh
1 cubic inch of pure gold weighs 316.598 grams; 10.17886 troy oz; or 11.16767 imperial ounces.

The above answer is rounded to the nearest milligram or to the 5th decimal position on both imperial and troy ounces.

These numbers are detailed approximations based upon the following information and formula:

There are 19.32 grams of gold per cubic centimeter (assuming 99.9+% pure gold)
One cubic inch = 16.387064 cubic centimeters
One gram =
0.0321507466 troy ounce or
0.0352739619 ounces

This information reduces this to a matter of mathematics. Depending how detailed we need to get.

16.387064 cubic centimeters x 19.32 grams = 316.59807648 grams
316.59807648 grams x 0.0321507466 troy ounces = 10.178864530955899968 troy ounces

316.59807648 grams x 0.0352739619 imperial ounces = 11.167668487368806112 ounces

Wil
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
6%

Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »

Re: microwave gold smelter
Anyone know this beast's operating temperature?   ...Wil
WorkinHard
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 7

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »

Ya, I brought this up in a thread about getting fine gold out of black sand... I'm still planning to get one once I get 250... When you get yours let us know how well it works!!!!!  Grin  Good

GollyMrScience
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 129

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 100 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarded to members who have more than 50 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »

I posted in another thread about using microwaves to smelt with.
I have gotten it hot enough to melt iron though lesser metals are much easier.
One key is having a flux that not only fluxes the melt but is also highly absorbtive to microwave energy. As i said in the other thread fine powedered magnetite has worked for that and it fits with the placer person's aim to get gold out of black sand. Another key is to have insulation around the melt. Thats what the refractory container around the crucible is for.
A couple of things.
You need to have as rich a con as possible for this to work well. You are working without an inquart or any other collector metal so it cant be a few 100 mesh flakes in a few ounces of con. As Wolf is getting at with the volume calculations you have to have enoug roo in your crucible to hold the gold, the flux and the boil up if things get active and then you need a pouring mold that will hold all the gold and the flux if possible. In big commercial systems you will often see cascage molds set up so that as the first one fills the eccess pout cascades over the edge and into another mold.
There is some need to move smoothly and quickly and with the setup inside the microwave you can be challenged to get it out and on the table and the cruscible out and oured before you start losing too much heat. Check you setup before you start. Do a coule of dry runs to be sure you cn do what you think you can do as far as placing the furnace and getting the lid off and the crucuble poure without tripping up or pouring molten flux down your boot.
Watch out for refractory minerals in your cons. Things that do not melt at the temperature you will reach and will thicken the melt or gum up the pour. Platinum can be a real pain. Zircon also. Depending on the flux you can break down some of the problems makers.
Doing experiments is quick ans relatively easy so you can try various things at pretty low cost.

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: