collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mcbainmeens

Dot Guests: 146 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12416
  • stats Total Posts: 123121
  • stats Total Topics: 17023
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Snow Suits, Hip Boots and Chainsaw Prospecting  (Read 12606 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 47
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
Snow Suits, Hip Boots and Chainsaw Prospecting
« on: February 24, 2007, 02:59:51 AM »
Title sure does sound weird!  But for many years I've wondered.... just what the results might be.  If one could actually use a chainsaw to enhance the bulge in his/her gold poke. ?????  You bet !!!  Well, if you wouldn't I'd bet then.

Okay, for the wondrous who have not yet sorted this one out, "harvesting gold in the wintertime."  The word "harvesting" coming out from many years being a trapper.  Going back on track now !  As my mind sometimes wanders beyond the norm... follow along and tell me what you think.

Rivers.... water flowing.... float gold floating their finest for great distances.... a free journey to some hidden haven to elude once more, man in hot pursuit.  And as I say, it's just a wonder.  Suppose you live handy a good river or sizable creek which is known to transport fine gold on its crests.  Then picture as temperatures drop and it partially freezes over... or even that bend which has created an ice-jam.  But the river keeps flowing.... and the float gold keeps floating.  So then, does that float gold near the surface drop under the ice or is it forced by the water's actions to climb upon yonder ice barrier ?  And the river keeps running all winter.  Gosh.... there then must be a lot of gold built up on top of that ice.  Awe....... the need for a chainsaw.  Harvesting blocks of ice just like the old timer's used to.... but for an altogether different reason.  Yup.... chunk a bit of ice, get the bride to fetch her largest iron pot and fire up the old wood range.  No need to even go to the well for a bucket of water.  Oh yeah... 2007 now aren't we !  Well, a good propane heated vat might work.

My mind asks........ why not ??

One word of caution.... winter water under ice I think would be very very cold.  If you go there, use a rope and do the buddy system.  And by all means, please tell us all about your results.

Anyhow, some of you folks must think funny things too.  There's a lot of empty pages here and the pen's right there by your finger-tips.

Larry  ::)
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline mikeprospecting

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Charlottetown PEI
  • Kudos: 0
  • 150 years late
Re: Snow Suits, Hip Boots and Chainsaw Prospecting
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:27:35 PM »
I originally come from a long line of ice fishermen, and that sort of makes sense. Is there any facts on what the yield has been for those poor hard working winter miners.

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Larry
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
Okay Folks.... being as "true" winter is again upon us and the whole country, and likely most other locations  in the northern parts of the globe, are under a blanket of snow and colder weather, I'm gonna revive this post. But my objective is to motivate as many as we can muster, to check out my theory. That being, does float gold actually build up on gradually freezing river/creek ice. The aspect of it being quite likely... now's the time for some our forum members to give it the test..... an earnest shot.

Being as the days of my youth has somehow flown by and much has changed within, including my vigor to done a Ski Doo suit and get right out into it, I'm going to leave the winter-water-side joys to as many of you more youthful souls that wish to pioneer the theory.  So.... let's have our Forum's membership partake in this experiment. But by no means, do not put yourselves in any form of jeopardy. We certainly do not want to hear of any ice accidents.

The objective would be... test sampling the ice at or near the head of the water's run. Preferably, where freezing has not been that rapid and there has been a continued flow of fresh water to build up the head-run of the ice. And let's get scientific.... the sampling program would be to cut out and secure, as close as is possible, the equivalency of "one" cubic metre of ice, then melt it down in a container (even in a pot on the stove - once you've got the bride's approval, that is) and see how much, if any, float gold had accumulated. Several one cubic metres samples from the same general watercourse (if it is indeed showing gold) would be even better and offer some sort of evaluation of how much gold does travel down that water-body.... thus, we may then (scientifically) determine just how our rivers and creeks respond, and how much gold simply floats away on us. If the counts prove good, or should I say good enough, possibly then, during normal season conditions, the capture of all that float gold might be done with some sort of surface-water filtration. And I'm sure many of our members will then concoct many various ways or equipment for doing that job.

PS... for those in platinum bearing locations, remain alert to "float platinum".... of which I've never personally heard one word about.... but quite logically exists. ?????

So...... how many wish to give it a shot ?  But as said, be ever so careful not to have any accidents.... for once under the ice and subjected to the river's flow.... well, let's just place that in paramount consideration and prevent all that .

I patiently await the outcome.  <-good_>

Larry

Offline Auminer

• Placer Miner and Photographer
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Haines, Alaska
  • Alaska
    • Photographer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:26:36 PM »
...float gold floating their finest for great distances...
hmmmm, sorry Larry, I just can't get a handle on this.  My take on "float" gold is that it floats because of surface tension or has an envelope of tree sap or similar stuff. Now if you were to be considering "flood" gold, that's another story as it could be frozen in the sands and picked up with a breakup etc.

Also sounds like a more advantageous us of a chainsaw in the winter is for its intended purpose.  Maybe cutting a hole for fishing, but mainly keeping warm while going over those old maps again...

Dave
Dave

Offline Seeker

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC Canada
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:55:37 PM »
Actually Auminer, gold is made buoyant from a variety of different reasons.  Any source of grease or oil from boat motors, old workings, fish oil, organics.. even dead animals introduced into the local environment will taint the fines causing them to float.

Also the surface tension of water is much higher cold... it wouldn't take much to float the micron gold up onto a layer of ice.

Offline Auminer

• PPT Invited
  • Alaska
    • Photographer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 12:50:04 AM »
...it floats because of surface tension or has an envelope of tree sap or similar stuff.
Ah yes, I believe I covered this.  I'm not knocking or questioning the fact that there is floating gold, I've seen it floating out of the pan as I'm sure others have too.  Gold will also "float" our of a dredge or box, but not far.

What I can't get a handle on is a circumstance that seldom occurs causing a "build up" worth noting.  I mean what is accomplished by redeeming a dimes worth of gold over maybe a week or lets even say days of cold work?  I guess it's just an experiment to prove or disprove Larry's theory.  No attack or anything like that Larry, just looking at the other side of the coin.  Interesting tho...

Then there are plants absorbing gold...  Hey we're gold miners not scientists. 

Dave
Dave

Offline crazieman_47

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »
you would almost be better off to run a electron magnet under the ice and run it all winter long to collect the float. And if you don't think its possible, there is a guy in Ontario here who developed a magnet that can hold gold. He's developing it to run as Brakes on a car instead of two pads rubbing the Magnetic friction will slow you down and you never have to replace your pads ever again.

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Larry
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »
Interesting views, boys, but I thinks maybe the true context of my post might have been a bit misconstrued. My objective was/is more to the scientific end of it - - to identify whether or not float-gold does buildup in the river/creek ice, and if so, to what dimension. It would be logical to assume it does, but the interesting part would be to identify to what capacity (volume). I personally have never heard tell of any study that identifies “how much” gold floats passes us by every day, month, year. If it is shown to be significant, then I’m sure creative individuals will work out ways to harness this un-tapped resource. If there a large amount we can do something with, then it sure would be nice to impliment some surface process during those hot summer days. And who knows, maybe, just maybe, the dime’s worth may work out to be portions of an ounce or even better. Just another potential accumulation point. ??

Hopefully a few of our numbers will give it a shot - - modern day pioneers.

And please do give us more on this new magnet affair.

Offline Auminer

• PPT Invited
  • Alaska
    • Photographer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 01:42:17 AM »
...then I’m sure creative individuals will work out ways to harness this un-tapped resource.
Activated Coconut shell, and hard wood charcoal has/is being used to collect this micron, stuff out of water.  Folks pay good money for the activated variety.

I personally don't see the time being worth it, I've seen folks playing with their fines till the cows come home.  In order to be productive there is nothing like working and digging for it.  There is more gold available than you can shake a stick at, why dally with these micron fines?

But sure does get the typing fingers in shape for the spring thaw.
Dave

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Larry
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 03:42:55 AM »
G'day Auminer

Do agree on the clinkers and clunkers, yet, many folks don't have the ground for that advantage. And am quite familiar with the coconut shells and a broad host of other methods, but still curious to see how much simply floats away. Being an old fur-trapper, my mind for any such float (if in qualifying abundance) would be to set the traps and revisit them 2 or 3 time over the season.... and just let Mother Nature do all her fine work. No matter the origin, gold is gold.... along as it's economical.

See you're US.... where abouts?  And which "generalized" area do you do your recovery at ?