collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 222 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12981
  • stats Total Posts: 130387
  • stats Total Topics: 18244
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Treasure of a Different Kind  (Read 4843 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
Treasure of a Different Kind
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:09:19 PM »
Thought I posted this long ago but canít find it in a search, so will bring it forth once again.

This is for the treasure hunter type, who roams in areas that have very old abandoned homes now in the state of disrepair and close to falling down. But be careful when in and around them.  Years ago when in Nova Scotia, I visited one such house, windows out, weather coming in and the whole nine yards. Back then, the old folks used to use a lot of wallpaper, and in this house many many layers were hanging loose.  Underneath, as a base, they used to use old brown paper, of which they saved from mail order packages from Eatonís and etc.  In peeling the wallpaper I was amazed to find attached, extremely old stamps of the day.  Such proved to be a treasure of a different kind.
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

ClickTheYellowChick

Re: Treasure of a Different Kind
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:53:01 PM »
Larry,

Sounds t'me like that house took a lickin' and the stamps kept a stickin'.... lol!!!@*

Thanks for the tip!

Megan

Offline Chuxgold

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Naches Washington
  • Kudos: 10
  • The thinker.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 05:10:31 AM »
Found a old 5 cent coke add, the same way.  They used newspaper in cabins in more remote areas. Me and my brother found the two coke adds, in a cabin that used to be on Frenchís creak in the Big Bend area. 
Chuxgold. <-thinking->
Give self, to gain wisdom,

Offline NSProspector

• Province/State: Mount Uniacke,N.S.
  • Kudos: 0
  • " Have Pan ---- Will Travel "
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:42:44 PM »
The Only thing I ever found in an Old Farm House in Eastern Ontario, east of Ottawa where I lived 15 years ago or so was old pairs of Long Johns stuffed between the rafters, you know them stark frigit cold eavnings in Eastern Ontario the secound coldest spot in Canada. Only outdone by Churchill M.B.. You want more heat in them days you would shove anything inbetween the rafters. lol!!!@*

I did find a treasure though up in the attic of the Old part of the built on kitchen, it was some old Star Weekly Magazines from the 1960's which some had those Hockey player pictures we all grown to love.

N.S. Prospector

Offline dacuz

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
I was helping a friend replace the bottom logs of an old cabin on his claim that was built in 1927. the chinking they used was newspaper and I love old news papers so I spent a few days unraveling the tangled mess. It turned out they used 'The Province Newspaper' and there was a lot of cool stories from the summer of 1927 in there. The best one was the last and hardest to open up and it was the front page of the Province newspaper from July 1927 (can't remember the exact day) and it had an address label on it for Blakeburn Community Centre, a ghost town up in the hills near Princeton. I was disappointed to find out the papers were tossed by mistake a little while later by a friend.

Offline bigwavedave

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: McAllister, Montana
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
Sometimes things are found that maybe aren't treasures but they can sure open your eyes to the past and the people that lived it, and send you away with a different view.  While remodeling an older home we pulled down a section of basement ceiling that had a small hole in it in the back of an old shelf lined closet.  When the old panel came down, a rush of old letters and objects tumbled out of the space.  There were old medicine bottles with labels indicating arsenic products, dozens of letters from 1917 and into the nineteen twenties.  There was also several curious looking glass syringes with hard rubber ends and thin rubber tubes, I guess what you could call needles.  We read many of the letters over our lunch break, including how directions on how to use the syringe (ouch!).   The letters were apparently written by young ladies of the time and were written to a soldier returned from the war, apparently with an "affliction".  Well, by now you can probably guess what the "affliction" was.  I guess the guy was quite a lady's man, because there were letters from at least five or six different girls, all inquiring how he was doing with different references to their "relationships" at the time.  There were naturally no letters from the gent, but you could tell as the few years of the letters progressed, that the treatments may not have been quite the cure they were all hoping for.  Well, we didn't keep the stuff we found, but did give it to the owners that seemed to find the things as interesting as we did. They said they'd research into it and see what they could find out from historical records, but we never heard anything back from them about it.  It would be easy to make up stories of what it all meant, but it was just a series of small glimpses into a small group of peoples lives over a few years worth of time.  I'm sure the stamps alone would have been worth something, but somehow the bitter-sweet glimpse into those long past personal lives, of the primitive means of administering medication, and the realization of how little relationships between men and women have really changed over time, was in its own way if not a treasure, then a message from the past.