collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mike(swWash)

Dot Guests: 119 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12799
  • stats Total Posts: 127453
  • stats Total Topics: 17826
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Gold Cube Technology  (Read 198225 times)

Offline TheFinder

• Kudos: 0
Re: Gold Cube Technology
« Reply #350 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
When I was using the Gold Cube I classified my material down to 1/8" like they say you should. But because I don't mind the classifying process at all, I wished I had gone down to -16 or -20 before I ran my material because it is generally accepted that the smaller the better for the Cube.
So now I have a bucket of material that is -16, and one that isn't (-8).
Should I run the bucket of fines through the Cube first, or does it matter??
The reason why I ask, is even when I was cleaning the Cubes matting in the backyard with the garden hose, I thought to myself, " I wonder how much micro-material get's pushed deeper into the matting by the water pressure". And when I cleaned it out in the field, I KNOW I didn't get it all out of the matting from one run to the next (wimpy hose/pump).
Would running the course stuff first block the finer second run if the mat is not 100% completely clean, please?

And is there a thread that has miners debating "Gold Cube Material, Wet or Dry"? I wouldn't mind reading that!

Offline Okie

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Kudos: 4
    • Gold Cube
« Reply #351 on: February 02, 2016, 09:39:28 PM »
Hello Finder!
1/8" is the size that will run best through the Cube and will allow you to get through the most material as possible as quick as possible.  If you are out in the field and running, it is best to stay that size.  Otherwise you will be spending all your time and effort classifying.  That small gold will settle in the vortex and stay put even with larger material there.  Now if your Cube is already full of gold, (terrible problem to have) the finer gold will be the first to go.  This usually happens around 35 OZ.  So be careful LOL.

When you are home and running controlled batches or running cons, sizing your material will give you some advantage.  If you are running milled material, it is best to run everything 30 mesh minus in one batch and everything else up to 1/8" in another or send it back through the mill.   Do a clean-up after each run and it won't matter which one you run first.  In my Cube, I have gotten 400 minus gold and just used the 1100 pump to spray it out.  If you feel there is still gold in there, use a soft bristle brush to dislodge it and spray it again.  Personally, I never use a brush or high pressure water. 

As far as wet or dry?  If I am out in the field, I use a goldbanker or the trommel and it pre-wets the material before the Cube.  If you are running small batches of dry, you can just sprinkle it back and forth across the water flow and all will be well.  If you feed too fast you will get clumping, that could carry some of your gold further in the system.  If you are classifying to 1/8" dry with a screen and bucket, those 1/8 balls could have hundreds of smaller pieces, including gold stuck in there.  If it does not dissolve right away in the Cube,  it will act like a light mass instead of heavy gold.  That means it will flow right on through.  Then when you do a clean-up and check your tailings and find gold, you will think the Cube was set wrong or not worth a crap etc.  So, make sure your material dry dissolves quickly when wetted.  otherwise you will have to pre-wet to get things dissolved and liberated so your gold will stay in the Cube on it's first run.  If I am hand classifying in the field, I use a 1/2" at the dig and then 1/2 fill a mixing tub with water. set the classifier in the water and add dirt and twist and shake it.  This will give you the pre-wet as well as allow any vegetation to float to the top of the larger rocks in the bottom of the screen.  When you lift out the rocks you remove the vegetation as well.  Now just feed the material with a scoop as normal.  Bottom line, pay attention to your material, do whatever it takes to segregate it into single particles and gold will act like gold.

Have fun out there,   Mike

Offline TheFinder

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #352 on: February 02, 2016, 09:48:29 PM »
You've answered my questions perfectly Okie, Thanks!!

Offline johnedoe

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #353 on: July 20, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »
I spoke with Okie a couple days ago and told him I added deep "V" mat to the slick plate, he said others had done the same but not the whole slick plate being covered in it like I did.
Here are my results of cleaning up some cons for a friend of mine...... <-shock_>

Offline Craig1

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #354 on: August 08, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »
I like the NEW full gold cube setup with the trommel and nugget zone. But this clay issue I never thought of.. any thoughts?

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 118
« Reply #355 on: August 08, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
Hi.I do not care how you slice and dice it.Trommel or not.The cube is a finishing device.The trommel still classifies to 1/8.Do you want to move material or do you spoon feed all day.Just saying.Better off with a good quality high banker.Clay will be a problem no matter which way you go.Watch all the gold hog vids before you waste your money.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Okie

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Kudos: 4
    • Gold Cube
« Reply #356 on: August 10, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »
Clay is a big issue.  There is no better portable solution in the field than the Gold Cube/High Banker solution.   Leave a layer of gravel on the plate, add the clay material and push it around.  The gravel will roll and grind the clay into a milk.  As soon as it is ready to give up it's gold it will be on it's way through the Cube.  When all the gravels on top are clean, you know you are ready for more clay. 
I used to use a paint mixer and a bucket but found that even after I made a slurry of the clay, it would coagulate back into clay before I could get it run.  The banker sends it through as it is ready. 
The small trommel we have is not suited for clay.  It's purpose is river rock.  And it will flat wear you out!  Now if you  have 3 or 4 shovels going, obviously you will need a bigger machine and it better be able to handle a gas powered pump.

Now both the Gold Banker and the Trommel are going to discharge everything larger than 3/16" and for that we have a brand new unit called the Nugget Zone.  It will handle all the large tails and process out any nuggets trying to attempt "Catch and release"  Have a look here https://www.facebook.com/Nugget-Zone-By-Gold-Cube-2226047554078770/

Although the Cube line of equipment is an awesome finishing system, it's mobility, ability and accuracy make it a go to primary system as well.   When you are in an area that all your gold is 50 minus, why trust a machine that can go through a "lot of dirt" with "acceptable loss"  When you can grab a #2 shovel, not a spoon, and get a higher yield with less dirt moved use a Cube system.  "Cube it, or lose it!" 

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #357 on: August 10, 2018, 09:20:52 PM »
Want to buy a cube cheap.Check the adds in Canada.Most that bought them have them fore sale.They are a finishing tool Know matter how you slice it.The cube is a great unit when used for its design.My matts keep -200 without classifing,that is good enough for me.Luck,Mcbain.

Offline Fraser Raised

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #358 on: August 27, 2018, 09:10:53 PM »
I was kind of surprised to see this post on the gold cube. Is this the first time some of you have seen it. It's been around for a bit. Doc at Gold Hog is a fan of them. He built his own concentrator multi sluice now but used to use the Gold Cube. Kim the owner of Kimanski Gold Panning Supplies is a retailer of them here in Grand prairie. She has had demo days down on the Smokey River and brought out a bunch of equipment. I saw the Gold Cube in action there. Works like a hot dang. It has a screen fixture you can't get for the top so you can run unclassified material on it. Just as good as a high banker.  You can also buy a Gold Fox Omni mini trommel and mount it on a Cube. They are very versatile little units. I may get one yet.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2018, 09:57:08 PM »
Hi.I amnot kocking the cube as a finishing tool works great.But when I am in the field I want to move as much material as possible by hand.2 to 3 yards min.My hi banker does that and retains the finest gold.Yes I can spend the day classifing a bucket down to 1/8 minus but what do you have at the end of the day?You got a bucket of very fine material that might have 1 spect of gold.You just wasted a whole day and about a 1000.00 to learn that.Each and every tool has a place and the cube is still a finishing tool.So lets go mining.Luck Mcbain.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat