collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Suave

Dot Guests: 173 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130834
  • stats Total Topics: 18306
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Gold Cube Technology  (Read 213275 times)

Offline Old Crow

• Kudos: 0
Re: Gold Cube Technology
« Reply #330 on: January 04, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »
Kinda what I was thinking just wanted to be sure I was on the same page with others.  I haven't found anything in the tailings and will discontinue the re-run.

Love that Cube!   <-yahoo_>

Crow

Offline Okie

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Kudos: 4
    • Gold Cube
« Reply #331 on: January 04, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »
Hello Crow
Usually I will only find gold in the tailings if I am in an area where the gold is real flat as well as small.  Add in some really heavy host material like black beach sand and there will be some loss (a % or 2).  That all being said, all you have to do is remember to make sure your mats are bubble free (video #4) Bubble Video and make sure that you don't over feed the Cube.  River gravels max feed is about 16 buckets, black beach sand is about 5.  Both piles will weigh the same, so remember, it's the weight that you need to pay attention to.  Glad you like the Cube, we sure do, LOL

Offline Old Crow

« Reply #332 on: January 04, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
Thanks Mike,
I may have been guilty of overfeeding but no more since Iíve been enlightened!  I do go the extra mile to ensure no trapped air on the mats.  However, both of the conditions Ė small and flat do apply to my area.
I wanted to go thru a lot of material I processed before I got the Cube but unfortunately itís been incorporated into one of Managementís flower beds and as a matter of my own personal health and well being, I better just stock pile new material!
You and Red have done an outstanding job with the Gold Cube.  Stand by, we may be takiní you on full time any day now !!!!
 {-applause-}

Crow

Offline Doug Watson

• Province/State: Hoquiam, WA
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #333 on: January 05, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »
We've had loses of 10% and more on our WA beach sands through the GC. I've had my tailings and each tray run on a wave table to see what was happening. The results were 40% caught 1st tray, 30% 2nd tray 20% 3rd tray 10% loss. This was material directly off our beach not cons or pre run material. If you test with pre run material you are dealing with gold that has been caught before. Some gold just doesn't like to be caught due to it's shape. If you're checking your tailings and have really fine gold you will also see fine gold wash out of the tub or bucket you're catching them in and into the outer tub or on the ground so that's also something to think about when testing your tailings. I'm not trying to knock the GC but just being realistic on the material I've run through it. Dirty water and clay will really plug up the matting also so try to keep your water clean, as we found out on testing at a commercial placer operation that was recycling water. If you're not dealing with lots of fine gold don't worry. If fine gold is your primary concern I'd be more concerned. Hope this helps without hurting too many feelings.

Offline Okie

• CGPF Sponsor
    • Gold Cube
« Reply #334 on: January 06, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
Thanks for the input Doug, no feelings hurt that is for sure.  This is a real world thread and I have been to Cape Disappointment there in WA and have played with the same stuff.  There and Lake Superior MI are the two holly-crap locations I have encountered for gold retention.  One of the ways I analyze a condition is a devise I have called a drop-zone.  It is an 8 second device that will isolate the deck once every 8 seconds.  It uses a teaspoon of material for the test.  The typical result is there will be most of your gold in the 1st second isolation.  Then some in the 2nd and in the 3rd you will start showing black sands and so-on until the 8th second where it will show blondes and silt with no black sand or gold.  Here is what was found on beach gold.   1st second, less than 5% of the gold.  2nd second there was almost no gold and black sand already showing up. 3rd second was a huge dump of black sand and still almost no gold.  The majority of the gold was found in the 6-7th seconds, way behind the black sands.  Why?  Shape!  All of the black sands were round and were able to drop straight down.  The majority of the gold was very small and extremely flat.  It would flitter/flutter through the water and take it's time.  In a riffle situation, you are doomed.  In a Gold Cube you stand a chance because of G-force and Vortex.  If you need better than 90% on the beach there are only 2 things to do.  Slow your feed rate down and get a higher percent retention, but at the end of the day come home with less gold weight.  Or add another tray, maintain the same material rate and gain at least another 5% or more. 
Doug makes very good points,
The one I like is "Some gold just doesn't like to be caught due to it's shape."  No truer words for sure. 
Also his points on the finer the gold the cleaner your water needs to be.  Dirty water acts like oatmeal to fine gold, if it can't sink to the mat, it's gone!

Thanks for your input on this Doug, no two locations are ever the same and some, for sure, need special attention.  In a river situation or closer to the source of the gold, gold acts like gold, and offers a little forgiveness.

Mike

Offline blucorundum

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #335 on: January 12, 2015, 05:50:12 PM »
had the opportunity to use the cube. ran material yesterday, was not impressed. as in all things one must try and try again. ran material today at a slower feed, less amount in the laddle and more liquified into the slick plate. 2/3rds of a 5gal. bucket down to cup and half of con. there was a lot of blacksand. after cleanup was quite impressed with the results. right down to super fine flour. can now run this concentrate through the oscillating sluice which will recover 90% plus in the first compartment clean. the rest can later go through a shaker table. the only black box in mining i have seen work. quite the innovated design. did 4 pans of tailings and found 1 piece of gold. your right about the weight factor. make sure the mats are well soaked first. excellent work guys.

Offline blucorundum

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #336 on: January 13, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
ran yesterdays cup and half cons through cube today. that was fun to watch. nice to watch the gold fill in the the matting, and the blacksand out. ran the tailings through the pan, no gold visible to 10x. quite the unit.

Offline thomasc

« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2015, 11:03:59 AM »
Well I finally have most of the bugs worked out of my gold cube and trommel setup.  Thought I would post a video of the system working.

The Gold Cube with Trommel - YouTube

Offline Okie

• CGPF Sponsor
    • Gold Cube
« Reply #338 on: May 02, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »
Nice set-up
Be careful to not over water the Cube, About 1500 GPH is max.  If you are using a trash pump or some other water source, use this method to make sure you are not over watering the system.

1. cut a 5/8" dowel rod to 10 inches.
2. roll the dowel down the water tray slick plate and it will jamb and dam up the water all but an inch on either side.
3. With the water on, you will see the water getting deep above the dowel.
4. Watch the scooped out section of the plastic that forms the Cube side openings, the water should not overflow out those sides. 
If it stays contained, you are good.
If it overflows out the sides, you need to dial back the water with a valve.

Hope this helps, let me know if there are any questions

Mike

Offline southgadigger

« Reply #339 on: May 12, 2015, 01:35:16 PM »
I just bought one and I've had no problem with the clay down here stopping it up in any way.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat