collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

kodibear

Dot Guests: 138 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12916
  • stats Total Posts: 129538
  • stats Total Topics: 18111
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Gold Cube Technology  (Read 205321 times)

Offline dig4au

• Kudos: 0
Gold Cube Technology
« on: November 01, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »
Hey guys, check out this new gadget coming out at the end of November:

[nofollow=http://www.goldcube.net]Gold Cube[/nofollow]

It concentrates a thousand pounds of dirt down to about a pound of superconcentrates with less than 1% loss of gold.  I don't know yet how much it's going to cost; have an email inquiry in to them now.   Make sure you check out how it works; pretty fascinating stuff.

Offline Bill_Carson

• Kudos: 3
    • The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Re: Gold Cube Technology
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:25:35 AM »

It concentrates a thousand pounds of dirt down to about a pound of superconcentrates with less than 1% loss of gold.  I don't know yet how much it's going to cost; have an email inquiry in to them now.   Make sure you check out how it works; pretty fascinating stuff.

Looks interesting ... but if you look at the sand they are using in their demo; it contains virtually no clay ... in the real world where quality Gold bearing river sand resides near bedrock, there's often a certain amount of clay to contend with ... I think the "trough" area of the Gold Cube may face "plugging" issues (even if the sand is classified to 8-) if being fed with sand that contains a certain minimum amount of clay ... one way around a clay-plugging effect might be to thoroughly liquify your concentrates/slurry in a bucket before adding to the Gold Cubes' slick plate... hopefully they've done some R&D with clay'ish sand and have some solutions.
There are 2 types of people in this world my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 16
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:47:49 AM »
interesting and bears watching but like bill says looked like mighty clean sand. be interesting to have a piece of slate for the slick plate.  jerry

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »
I will be interested to see what their final design looks like.
I note that the material they are running is not bank run but rather classified to minus 1/4 or so.
Nothing wrong with that but it calls for pre screening and judging from the gravels in the gravel bar they are operating on the 1000 pounds of minus 1/4 will be closer to 6000 pounds or more of bank run. Thats not a negative just an observation.
Many people forget that simple screening is in fact a concentration process and can be a viable cncentration step in and of itself.
If all your gold will pass a 1/4 inch screen and you can screen off three quarters of each bank run ton you have made a 4 to 1 concentrate before you even get to the next stage of concentration.
Now in the case of the Gold Cube the time and energy and equipment to get to that screened product has not been accounted for and it should at least be acknowledged.
Once again not a negative - just the reality of operation.
It took about an hour to run the 1000 pounds of minus 1/4 through the concentrator but it could have taken six hours of hand screening to get that 1000 pounds.  The oversize ratio is highly variable so really the Gold Cube people can only talk about how long it takes to run the 1/4 inch minus if they want to compare apples to apples. How much actual production of bank run it represents will be up to the prospector to determine. In my illustration above they could have hand screened 6000 pounds to get the 1000 pounds so six hours of screening and one hour of Gold Cube equals seven hours to run 6000 pounds of bank run.
Important for the prospector to consider.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline Bill_Carson

• Kudos: 3
    • The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »

I think the "trough" area of the Gold Cube may face "plugging" issues (even if the sand is classified to 8-) if being fed with sand that contains a certain minimum amount of clay ...

The "trough" area I speak of can be seen on this page ...

[nofollow=http://www.goldcube.net/#/complete-gold-cube/4545154829]Link[/nofollow]

... as seen on the side-view, the concentrates must navigate through three different 180 degree bends with an upward curvature ... that's the area's I think clay'ish sands could pose a plugging issue with ... as seen on the video, clean sand seems to work okay in the Gold Cube ... but I've found the high Gold grading sand occurs at the bedrock level and typically contains a fair amount of fine clay in the sand; which even after being classified, a certain amount of the sandy-clay tends to bunch together, and needs to be stirred in the bucket to create a liquid concentrate/slurry for running through a concentrator for best results.
There are 2 types of people in this world my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Offline lonetree

• Michigan
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Michigan
  • 200 Mesh Michigan Nuggets!!
    • Squirrel Dog Central
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
These would work really good on beach sand.

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: USA California
  • Kudos: 4
  • On the creek,, moving some material!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
The gold cube looks like a stacked version of the new zealand boil box that trevor posted before on yahoo
Cannot find if you do not look!

Offline lonetree

• Michigan
  • PPT Invited
    • Squirrel Dog Central
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
I will be getting one. We have nothing but super fine gold here, so need to classify down that far any ways to process material correct.

Offline Okie

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Kudos: 4
    • Gold Cube
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »
Hello everyone and thanks for looking at the Gold Cube.  My Partner an I have been working on this device for some time now.  This summer we struck gold, so to say, with this design.  Reading some of the posts to this point has found me impressed with the knowledge base.  Let me start with a little background and then I will answer some of the questions the back ground didn't cover.

In July 2009 I was on the hunt for some beach gold on Lake Superior Michigan.  Well I found some and asked the rangers there if I could set up a power sluice to capture some.  They said it was fine but later found out I needed a permit.  I got one and went back a couple months later.  See here's how I did.  [nofollow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ry5gHaHtA[/nofollow] Meanwhile, After finding out how difficult it was to retain very flat gold in 90% black sand, I contacted as many groups as I could to see if there was a trick to this stuff.   A couple of the groups actually led me to the information Trev had accumulated and posted.  It was great reading.  I contacted his lawyer buddy in Texas to see what the boundaries were if I came up with a device that incorporated the columning effect caused by the gated trough.  The trough idea could not be patented but the unit design could.  Looking at the pictures, we knew there needed to be some size reduction and the zig-zag design was it.  This accomplished two things.  It keeps things compact and it forces more water through the trough at a higher pressure to keep everything moving, even clay ridden material.   That being said, we also needed to find a suitable mat.  We found some incline conveyor belt that was perfect.  Since the flow in this unit is so fast, this mat had everything we needed for retention as well as being able to keep itself flushed of debris.  After quit a few prototypes and a few thousand dollars, manufacturing and patenting the design is underway.  This thing will be mule kick proof and easy to carry.   It is a recirculatable unit that will need water pumped into it.

There is a correct tool for every job.  This is not an off the bank type unit.  Everything has to be classified down to 8 minus.  Most of the gold in the world that can be seen falls into this category.   This is also where it gets tough to process.  The Gold Cube shines at the end of a day or at the end of a trip when you have many buckets of concentrates.  What will you use to get out your gold?  A Wheel?  A Bowl?  Water table?  A Pan?  If you have been working your favorite spot for a while with your dredge or power sluice, you may just have 10 or 20 buckets of concentrates.  I just picture this pile of buckets and standing there with a spoon at the ready to start feeding your machine of choice.  "I know, I'll just save it for winter!"  Now all you have to do is classify to minus 8 and run it through the Gold Cube.  Everything in that pile of buckets will be reduced to about a cup of material and now you can use your spoon with a smile.  All the larger stuff is an easy pan.  Even better, if you have a gold metal detector,  it should easily find gold 1/8" and bigger.  Just spread it out and pick up your pickers and nuggets.  So what are we missing here?  Hauling a ton of concentrates back with you, that's what.  Oh happy day!  Better mileage and more room for the dog.  

In the video on the site, There was a bit of clay but the act of classifying really broke things up.  It took us about 2 hours to fill the 16 bucket.  We classified with the bucket underwater to the rim so the material was washed pretty good.  All the concentrated material in a dredge or power sluice is washed pretty good as well.  You will also notice in the video that we were really pouring the steam to it.  We were racing the clock.   We really wanted this to fail or clog up, neither of which were achieved.  But we did complete in about an hour, I think it was actually 68 minutes.  It just kept clean and wanting more.  Earlier, we had even tried to get it to fail with 7 gallons of pure black sand in 10 minutes.  It just kept eating it!  On a side note though, the black sand was contaminated with 1/2g of gold, bummer!  The guy who brought it to us was sure he had gotten all the gold out.  We ran it again to make sure and discovered we missed 2 specks.  Truly not worth the effort of running again or saving.  

(Bill) I know this may invite more questions but we have done extensive R&D in many gold situations including Nome beach gold, Oklahoma red clay, drywash concentrates from NM, AZ and CA.  5 different locations in Colorado, and every type of material we could get our hands on.  If you have something you can't get the gold out of, I would love to try it, I'll send you back the gold.  So far the Gold Cube has not failed.  The worst that it did was back in Lake Superior, the hardest gold in the world to recover!!!  We solved the problem by adding 2 more layers.  It took our retention rate from 70% to 98%.  How did we know that?  100 pieces of gold counted and ran.  Then we counted the clean-up.  We needed to know for sure!  We have a lot of time and money in this thing.  Blood sweat tears and love and guts.  This will fill the part of the mining that has always been an issue.  The part between a pile of concentrates and you being able to see your gold.  Quick reduction without a lot of time and an acceptable minimum loss.  Such a small loss you will not be tempted to run it again or save it to run chemicals.  I have panned the Gold Cube super concentrates down to a 400 mesh.  and know it will hold them.  At the end of the video we state that we will run them again.  That is part two.  I panned the second run down to 400 as well and couldn't see any.  There were a couple 200, 100, and 50 mesh though.  About 1% as much as the first run.  It will be shown on the next video.

(Jerry)The slick plate does act like slate, When you dump the material in you can see the stratification.  It is a lot of fun to see the gold lagging behind.  Then down it goes.  Just a quick indication that, Yes, There is gold in this batch.

(GollyMrScience) As your assumption, yes there was more time involved than just the hour.  But as you have read, this is not intended to be the sole prospecting piece of equipment although it could.  The Gold Cube is intended to super concentrate after a dredge or power sluice etc.  That is where it will excel!  It is wise to point out material preparation as part of the time a miner spends but the bottom line is, when you grab a shovel and pick, it's work.  Whatever machine you run it through you will be left with the good stuff.  Your gold is in there somewhere.  If you are a hard worker or if you have a lot of help, you are going to have a lot concentrates.  typically at a ratio of 40:1  the more you move the more you get.  Our experiment on tape was about volume.  The gold was a nice bonus.  Man! could you imagine if we had been dredging and had all those bucket?  Whew!!!!!!!!  I need to sit down!!  Thanks for your factual mind.

(Deserdog)  Yes, this is a forced version of the same principle Trev shared with us.  Them old miners were smart, we are smart to learn from them.

(Lonetree) I'll put your name on one.

Please feel free to contact me.  I'll answer any questions.  I'm really proud of what has been accomplished an you guys are a jury of my peers.  I thank you for that.

Mike
[email protected]

Offline lonetree

• Michigan
  • PPT Invited
    • Squirrel Dog Central
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:45:50 PM »
Serial Number: 0000001 is coming to Michigan  <-yahoo_>