collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 123 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: building a homemade mini crusher for cons/fine gravels  (Read 7881 times)

Offline MephistoCat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
building a homemade mini crusher for cons/fine gravels
« on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »
scored three 2.5" diameter hardened steel bearings from the junkyard. They weight about 2lbs each.  <-shock_> I'm going to take a section of 10 or 12" steel pipe, weld the ends with plate steel, cut out a hopper door(gasket sealed) and put a center axle with pillow block bearings on it. Add a small pulley attached via belt to a much larger pulley and a hand crank. Pour in cons, add the three big bearing balls, close and bolt hopper door and crank. I tried this already with a large coffee can and it reduced 1/8" gravels to fine materials.
 :D

pics in a few weeks when i get all the parts cut out.

used to be Mephisto here.........now im back as MephistoCat!

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 16
Re: building a homemade mini crusher for cons/fine gravels
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:14:04 PM »
 {cool^sign} good idea mephisto. looks like you are into heavy equip. so if you need more ball bearings check with your local equip repair shops. the track excavators. use nice large bearings for the swing and need to be replaced on occasioni. keep us posted.. to bad you are not closer as i have several pieces of 10" pipe from 1 to 2 feet in length and i could sure donate a couple to the cause. cheers  jerry

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 03:36:10 PM »

In mechanizing that, or similar scaled down ball mill, what hp would you need for a gas engine and similarly an electric motor, to operate it?  And what would be the optimum rpm’s for achieving the best results?
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline twistedfuse

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:56:45 AM »
Look forward to the pictures.

Offline Gyro

• Yore Eminence
  • Privateer Ancestors
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:04:59 AM »
scored three 2.5" diameter hardened steel bearings from the junkyard. They weight about 2lbs each.  <-shock_> I'm going to take a section of 10 or 12" steel pipe, weld the ends with plate steel, cut out a hopper door(gasket sealed) and put a center axle with pillow block bearings on it. Add a small pulley attached via belt to a much larger pulley and a hand crank. Pour in cons, add the three big bearing balls, close and bolt hopper door and crank. I tried this already with a large coffee can and it reduced 1/8" gravels to fine materials.
 :D

I'm new to this site but looking for ways to 'loam' for gold in the field. Your idea sounds like a great alternative to a dolly pot. Can I ask, is it a straight section of pipe that is turned end for end? How long will it be?
Gyro Gearloose (or 2)

Offline old digger

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 07:57:37 AM »

In mechanizing that, or similar scaled down ball mill, what hp would you need for a gas engine and similarly an electric motor, to operate it?  And what would be the optimum rpm’s for achieving the best results?

I would use a windshield wiper motor, very much torque, and some are two speed or variable speed . very cheap at junk yards or on line. i have used these motors for a couple of projects very good results. got last  one on line for$ 25.00 / shipping still working great. good luck!just found the web site where I bought the last motor <www.monsterguts.com> (very pleased with it)

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »
Given the size and speed that you would be turning this unit gearing down to get the right speed from most electric motors would create significant mechanical advantage along with the speed reduction. It does not take much of a motor to turn a small ball mill.
More important is the speed and charge volume. You want enough balls in the mill turning at speed that causes them to bunch up and climb the side a bit so they tumble but not so fast that you hit critical speed and they are thrown against the sides and cling under centrifugal force to the point that they go all the way around or too high on the side to the point that they are falling too hard. Think of a cresting wave rather than falling rain.
The windshield wiper motors are cheap and easy to come by - sometimes even free if you scrounge (that old truck wasn't being used by the neighbour anyway right?  ;D )
If you want to use regular power and not 12 volt another cheap motor can be scrounged out of bread makers. Many come with reduction gears etc already and they are pretty good torque. The last one I picked up at a local church second hand store for 4 dollars. The whole motor and gear reducer came on a metal frame so easy to set up.
Do you plan on running this as a ball mill? In that case the pipe is on its side and you would need a bunch more balls including some of different sizes to get better grinding.
If using it like a tumbling mill and turning the pipe end for end with the balls and charge dropping from one end to the other the action is very aggressive and unless you have a good charge to buffer the drop, as well as really put some thought into how much drop to use, the hardened steel balls will take real punishment. Often shattering the outer layers off and ruining the balls. Suprisingly a mild steel ball will survive better though the surface will work harden in short order and spalling of the surface will result. A pain to deal with the chunks that come off. The tumbling mill must also have really good support and bearings that prevent the shock from transferring too much or the bearings will fail quickly.
Some other quick and free motors can be gotten out of washing machines and furnaces -both often found in scrap yards or in the recycle bin at the dump. You can also get them from the people who pull them out to replace them. Furnace repair people and applicance stores that advertize that they take away the old appliances for you when they deliver the new ones.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline alaskan

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 02:21:09 AM »
 I have a gas cement mixer I has a reduction gear attached then to a belt driven wheel. the engine is a three horse briggs and stratton engine. you can still find these engins as they are used on go carts and mini bikes. a friiend got a 1/3 horsen power electrict motor from a washing machine and used that on his cement mixer. you will adjust the speed depending on the size of the material.you will have to play with it to find out how long to let it run. He runs the belt from the motor directly to thbe cement mixer without a reduction gear and he says its just right. One idea I have is to run the steel pipe put 4 castors to support the pipe and attach a pulley to the end of the pipe and use belt to drive it from a gas or electric motor...its just a thought.another idea is to you small tires instead of castors like from a small boat trailer or someting similar alaskan

Offline Chuxgold

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Naches Washington
  • Kudos: 10
  • The thinker.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:18:18 AM »
 I have a crusher I built out of a peace of pipe line pipe. 20''inch. It has a pre jaw roller. Its a 7 by 7 peace of ship drive axle. Weighing about 70 pounds. It is turned in its own quaranted off area with 4 inch reinforced angle as lifts, to lift the hammer. When it falls off it falls all of 12 inches. Enough to break any rock that can put in under 2 inch.
After it breaks the larger material down. it is allowed to pass to the main chamber. Were 2'' heavy chain cut to three links each. Takes it to dust.
Nomadic tires are a goods idea. Also can gain some impact protection from mounting on a trailer.
As far as drive. I used a series of pulleys to step a motor down to drive a chain drive off a rototiller. A vary tough drive. That cuts the speed down to practically nothing. And lifts  all the weight effortlessly. And when the hammer hits off a bit it dues not cause any stall to the motion of the turn. So the motor and drive can be seen not getting strained.
I will try and post a couple picks latter. Really need to any ways as I need some of its parts. And it may never be hole again.
Sad. But I never have used it beyond knowing how well it worked. And its trailer would be perfect for a rocker to be trailer on. 
Chuck. 
Give self, to gain wisdom,

Offline turtleman

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »
Hi Chuck

Really interested in your rocker. How's it coming? 

Tom

Gear Pan
Gold Rat