collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 179 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13002
  • stats Total Posts: 130764
  • stats Total Topics: 18300
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Yale Rec Pan this weekend, or bust!  (Read 4607 times)

Offline MephistoCat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
Yale Rec Pan this weekend, or bust!
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »
come hell or high water, i am dipping a shovel and pan into the river this long weekend........

Anyone from the Vancouver area interested in going? i'm thinking of bringing the BBQ and camping overnight (somewhere on a logging road........ and hitting the Yale rec site........I'm going stir crazy at home and at work, NEED TO GET OUT and pan! heck its been almost 1.5 years now........... :'( :'( :'( :'(

thinking of leaving on Sat morning.....Oct 9 - co pilot (if i give a ride to someone) is responsible for coffees, timbits. Smoking (NO green leaf!!) ) in truck is A-Ok, just open the window. No farting.

<-laugh-> :D

used to be Mephisto here.........now im back as MephistoCat!

Offline Big Red 250

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Yale Rec Pan this weekend, or bust!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »
Sounded like a good idea until you said "no farting". LOL.

Offline MephistoCat

• PPT Invited
TRIP UPDATE!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:47:23 AM »
 :D got up stinking early saturday morn, loaded up the panning equipment and hit the road. Took a large and small gold pan, my Montana Rocker Pan,  a 5 gal bucket, shovel, and only three of my KEENE classifiers (1/2" , 1/4" & 1/8"). didn;t feel like processing all the way down to pixie dust.... lol!!!@*

Took hwy 1 all the way, little traffic. Stopped and gassed up (55 liters main tank), and filled 3 x 10 liter jerry cans. Always go prepared! grabbed two White Spot  breafast sandwichs....you ready for this?  one hamburger bun, slather with mayo and relish, with two hash browns, a sausage patty, an egg sunny side up, topped with BACON and cheese. PURE BLISS <-yahoo_>  <-yahoo_>   I ate one, and saved the other for lunch. Grabbed a coffee and hit the road again.

around POPKUM i had to perform an emergency accident avoidance steering maneuver.... ...Bambi decided to jump onto the freeway suddenly from the bushes. I ended up flat spotting my rear right drive tire.....badly enough that it thumped horribly while driving and shook the truck. Bambi was fine, but the INATTENTIVE driver behind me was not. He was extremely shaken up at having to suddenly brake and swerve....perhaps he should not have been 2 feet off my arse end......hmmm.......?  <-thinking->

Pulled into Hope, stopped by the good crew at kal Tire and dropped off my wheel. Then i headed up to Yale.

started by digging deep in an already dug out hole int he gravel/rocks. someone had been there before, and dug down two feet. I dug down further and processed about 5 bucketfulls of screened material thru in my Montana pan. Got about 4 cups of nice garnets , black sand, and fine sediment. AND some color!  enough in fact to make me mentally mark that rock for a future digout.

It was (censored)ing rain and starting to get late in the day by this point, so i packed up and headed back into Hope to pick up my new tire, then i headed out for a little drive.....by a little drive i mean i drove all the way to Kamloops.

and then i drove back the way i came, thru the Fraser Canyon, just got in now at 0245 hours .

put 890 kms on the truck, burned 100 liters of gas, drank 3 coffees, ate two snicker abrs and two Whote Spot breaky sammiches, and got to pan for gold.

nuff said.  ;D

pics by Sunday... :D

Offline Troy

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Vancouver, BC
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:11:38 PM »
Holy smokes that's some adventure Mephisto!

Sucks about the tire.  And ya, I hear ya about driver's tailgatin'.  People just don't know how to take into account the unexpected.

But you drove up to Kamloops?!!  Holy crap that's a few miles to be puttin on yer truck!
I'm wishin I could've gone up with ya.... I'll be lookin for another opportunity to head up in the coming weeks (although end of this month I got a pretty booked family schedule).  I really wanna head back up to Lytton again though.

Good on ya fer getting out there and making it happen! :)  I'll be checkin back to see yer pics :)

Troy

Offline MephistoCat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »
pics, hope they load  <~ShOcK~>

ominous clouds as i headed out of the city
IMG_0245.JPG

Yale beach, beautiful setting to pan in
IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

garnets any one? (say check out those fine colors!  :D
IMG_0256.JPG

better shot of the colors
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

my gear
IMG_0257.JPG

my triple stack KEEN classifiers (1/2", 1/4" 1/8") and a classic home depot 5 gallon bucket. I shovel into the top until full, then i full wash all the sand,  silt, gold, etc off . It screens into the next sieve where the process is repeated, and the leftovers tossed off. Then i take the cons and run them thru my montana pan until i have nothing but black sands and garnets (and gold!)) I can run a 5 gallon pail thru the pan in about 2 processes, about 15 minutes tops.

IMG_0270.JPG

heavy rain as i left Yale to drive further up the canyon road
IMG_0255.JPG

Offline MephistoCat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »
any time on weekends Troy is fine by me for some drive by panning  <-laugh->  i do work on call one weekend a month for the trucking (roll off bins) company, but i always know by friday 1800 hours if i am working the Saturday

Offline Black Lab

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 01:32:56 AM »
pics, hope they load  <~ShOcK~>

my gear
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

my triple stack KEEN classifiers (1/2", 1/4" 1/8") and a classic home depot 5 gallon bucket. I shovel into the top until full, then i full wash all the sand,  silt, gold, etc off . It screens into the next sieve where the process is repeated, and the leftovers tossed off. Then i take the cons and run them thru my montana pan until i have nothing but black sands and garnets (and gold!)) I can run a 5 gallon pail thru the pan in about 2 processes, about 15 minutes tops.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Hi there Mephisto, Sounds like you had a good trip. I'm curious about the Sluice box on the left. I think you called it a montana pan. How does it work ? I somehow think it looks like a back breaker but should work pretty good. Tell us more. Jack

Jack

Offline MephistoCat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 01:39:55 AM »
hiya Black Lab!

the montana pan is anything but a backbreaker. It rapidly pans out the overburden (i pre classify down to 1/8") and leaves the heavies.

i'll post a video up if i can find the DVD that came with it....

Offline Troy

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Vancouver, BC
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
Heya Mephisto,

Nice pics!  Good on ya for toughing out the rain too. 

I'm debating heading up to Lytton again soon, but I may have to leave on a Friday Morning and come back on a Saturday night.  Could be I got a 9-5 job in the pipeline and that'll be the end of my wonderful extended summer vacation! :D

Question: Those Keene classifiers won't sit all the way down into the 5 gallon pail will they?  The classifier I've got fits snug into the top of the pail, so if I fill the pail with water and rocks and dirt in the sieve get a quick wash.  But it seems like a lot of the Keene classifiers won't actually fit snuggly into the bucket.

Also, do you fill the bucket with water yourself prior to classifying?

Troy

Offline MephistoCat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »
^ nope i just pour water over the dirt/rocks, the bucket fills up an i empty out the water after a few screenings

Gear Pan
Gold Rat