collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 162 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130591
  • stats Total Topics: 18276
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: My prospecting B-Train  (Read 13954 times)

Offline ahh_me2

• Province/State: Edmonton
  • Kudos: 3
My prospecting B-Train
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
Hey guys,

Since I typically find myself on the North Sask River, with long stretches of flat to walk, I devised my own transport system for hauling sluice/pump and all associated gear.

It's a couple of used kid's chariots/ trailers to be pulled by a bike.

I ran some tests over the past week, and I must say, it works quite well!

Here's a pic of it without any gear loaded on it:

Offline Blister

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
Re: My prospecting B-Train
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:18:50 AM »
 Brilliant  <-good_>
 There are some good cargo bikes out there, or may be an xtra cycle, that would work well. less wheels = less rolling resistance = easier cycling.
 When ever I'm in the bush, I wonder how well a mountain bike with a bob trailer would work for getting around. Now you have me thinking I'll try it.

Offline BioBert

• Province/State: QC
  • Dig till it hurts
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »
Nice setup ahh_me2 .

if you add a little helper on that train you might find that your little train might go a little longer with half the effort.

I built this a couple of years ago and love it in the woods.

Offline ahh_me2

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »
BioBert,

Thanks, I had looked at buying one of those kits, a friend was trying to sell me his about 2 weeks ago actually, but 2 things worked against it.

1- The areas where I go have an interdiction on motorized riding vehicles of any kind
2- The specs on those kits indicate the gearing is set for a higher speed, and as such can't run in the 2-10 kmh range

In Devon for instance, the larger rocks make it very difficult to go fast.

Now, I do have plans to try and make a motorized (gas powered) system, whereby I can walk beside it and control throttle and steering, this should get me around the restrictions on motorized riding vehicles.

Offline ahh_me2

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »
Blister,

I had originally tried with just the last trailer, it had a 3rd wheel on the front and I had a handle for pulling, but it was awkward to get everything loaded on it.

I decided I would try and find a child bike trailer, and a local bottle picker in my alley offered to sell me his, as he was going back to working a real job.

If I'm just going out panning, I can take the bicycle and the child trailer, and I barely notice the load while riding over the rough rocks at prospectors point/Devon.
With the modular approach, when there are hills or steeper inclines, I can detach each unit and hand tow them individually up the slope.

I also just picked up a cheap 1500 lb 12 vdc winch from Canadian Tire for $49, and plan on using that to get the 2 trailers back up the hill in Devon on the load out.

Motorized riding vehicles are not permitted in all the locations I seem to go panning/sluicing, so this system works very well for my current needs.

Offline WorkinHard

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Kelowna
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »
BioBert,

Thanks, I had looked at buying one of those kits, a friend was trying to sell me his about 2 weeks ago actually, but 2 things worked against it.

1- The areas where I go have an interdiction on motorized riding vehicles of any kind
2- The specs on those kits indicate the gearing is set for a higher speed, and as such can't run in the 2-10 kmh range

In Devon for instance, the larger rocks make it very difficult to go fast.

Now, I do have plans to try and make a motorized (gas powered) system, whereby I can walk beside it and control throttle and steering, this should get me around the restrictions on motorized riding vehicles.

Hmmm not a bad idea! Maybe an old walk behind roto-tiller with no "tiller" on it... it powers the wheels at a slow pace and you just stroll behind :)

Offline ahh_me2

Re: My prospecting B-Train *Updated*
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »
I've been frequenting a different area for digging this year, and due to the slightly rougher terrain, and a couple small hills, I decided to motorize my B-train!

Unfortunately, with a power plant, the child carts are too narrow, (tip over), and not suitable for sustained hauling!

So I built a custom trailer using the 20" bike tires from one of the carts, combo welded steel and bolt together, for easy modding down the road should I so desire.

I also decide I should have a backup plan should the power plant fail!

Here's a few pics...

This shows the frame assembly, and as the child carts, the wheels have a quick disconnect axle, except now they are supported
on both sides for extra strength and increased weight bearing capacity:

Here is the frame with a sheet of ABS laminate as the deck:

Here is the backup mode, a couple pins underneath quickly connect the handle:

And here is the "power plant"  lol.....a used dirt-bike I picked up for $200, as well as the loaded gear.

And here I have arrived at my dig site!

Today was the first chance I had to test it out...it worked flawlessly! I had some concerns about some of the hills on the way out,
but even though the bike is only a 100c 4 stroke, I could have climbed steeper and longer hills!

Well, now I can wear myself out shoveling...lol...as opposed to hauling gear!
The trek from where I park to where I dig is about a kilometer.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, as I'm sure there are others in similar situations, it might give them some ideas!

Offline PlacerWilly

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: British Columbia Interior
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
Looks like a handy rig !  <-good_>
"Up there's where we got to go !"

Offline Callsign_Sys

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »
Mmmmm wonder if i could modify my sled to do this lol you guys are crazy inventive! Beats hauling gear and heavy sand by hand!

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:03:43 AM »
I LIKE IT, very cool idea, I've been looking around for an old beater bike myself right along those lines............ <-good_> ......Guest

Gear Pan
Gold Rat