GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: brotherjames - Thursday, 30 October 2014 17:26
November 16, 2014 YUKON PLACER FORUM - All who are placer miners, placer claim holders, or simply interested in current research of placer geology, placer gold recovery, and other news about the Yukon’s placer industry are welcome to attend. This is a free event - h://www.yukongeoscience.ca/documents/placer_forum_POSTER_final.pdf < >
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

October 31, 2014, 12:43:31 PM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Gold Cube
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Recreational Gold Panning Reserves in BC - Cayoosh Creek (Lillooet)  (Read 8998 times)
Troy
PPT Invited
Trade Count: (0)

Canada Canada

Province/ State: BC

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 4

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:55:24 AM »

This is a continuation of my August 2010 tour of BC Recreational Panning Reserves. Click here for Intro & Hope, and here for previous post of Van Winkle Flats.

Cayoosh Creek - Lillooet
August 18, 2010.

BC Energy Mining & Resources government maps:
http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Titles/MineralTitles/Documents/cayoosh.pdf
http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Titles/MineralTitles/Reserves/Documents/RecPanningReserves/RecreationalPanningReserve_CayooshCreek_329448.pdf

I left buddy at the motel to sleep and went down to the information/museum in Lillooet.  I asked the lady there about recreational panning and she was a great help.  She showed me on the map how to get down to the bridge and where the pullout was and what she thought might be some good places to pan for gold.  (Also, the Lillooet Museum is densely packed with interesting artifacts, worth taking a look at if you're in the building.  I read too that Ma Murray's Printing Press is in the basement, I'll have to see next time Smiley ).

I also dropped by the Jade Museum across the street.  I got a deal on a sparkly chunk of pyrite from the fella there for the little one at home and joked "this is as close to finding gold as Daddy's gonna get on this trip".

The initial pullout she suggested is down by the bridge.  There's a bizarre metal sculpture there with some plaque to explain it I guess. I didn't seem to have any access to the water level at all from here though.

Google Street View of odd sculpture.

I drove back and drove down into the Cayoosh campground.  This is a "self registration" campground.  I thought about it and looked at the registration form and then thought "well, I'm not actually staying in the campground, I just want to get down to the water". So I took the form with me, and thought I could explain if anyone was bugged by my being there.  I drove through the campground and down to the beach area.

Wikimapia entry

The rocky area of the beach has some interesting boulders on it which I wonder if they might be jade?  

Jade? Or Just a Dull Green Boulder

Lots of interesting rocks in the area.  After seeing the prices of some of the rocks for sale in the Jade Museum in Lillooet I'm wondering if learning a bit more about geology might be in order.

On the beach I saw a little sandy rivulet of water with lots of gold flecks in it washing in and out with the waves.  I'm thinking this was pyrite though because it floated so easily.  

Fool's Gold Floating on the Water?

I walked over to the Cayoosh creek.  It's beautiful clear water with lots of round stones.  I tried panning some shovelfuls, but I really didn't think I was going to find anything.  I took a lot of pictures of the mountains around Lillooet.  They're grand.  Pictures don't do them justice.

Got The Old Honda Right Down To The Beach

Looking Across The Fraser River,  Cayoosh Creek Is To Right

Looking Out Towards Creek.  Balanced Camera on Rocks, Hit the Timer and Back to Panning

Another tip from the lady at the Lillooet Info Booth: The Seton Lake Reserve Beach is definitely worth checking out for a nice afternoon at the lake.  I drove down in time to catch sunset there.  It was just beautiful.  Made the whole trip worth it.

Seton Lake at Sunset

The next day my friend was good enough to handle travelling so we just made the long drive back.  It was a good trip though, enough for a first time out; we didn't get lost or killed and the car didn't break down... a definite success Smiley

Goldbug

Canada Canada

Province/ State: bc

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 2

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »

The rocky area of the beach has some interesting boulders on it which I wonder if they might be jade?  

Jade? Or Just a Dull Green Boulder

Might be jade and may just be Serpentine.
There was a lot of jade recovered on the Frazer and major tributaries
honeyman76
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:42:35 AM »

Hi Troy. Great photos of the area. You were correct in just driving past the Campground Office. Also, you could have accessed the area by the wierd green sculture which turns out to be a wild onion lol. Who could have known though hey! To get to where you were, park by the green onion thing and walk towards the bridge. There is a trail leading down on the left side (facing the river). Lots of people even fish for sturgeon up stream from the bridge. I  love seeing those mountains! Home sweet home!

TimHortonsAddict
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »

99% sure that's fools gold floating in the water. All though, gold can float =) I believe I recall someone saying that it has to do with the fish oil in the water? Or of course the water retention causing it to float (Just like it does in your pan, or well... mine according to my other post lol)

If you're ever not sure if it's fools gold or not, there's no harm in scooping it up and putting it in the pan, pan it down as far as you can and if there's anything left try poking it with a knife or some tweezers. If it breaks into pieces, it's not gold =)

Life Would Be Much Easier If I Had The Source Code!
Troy
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »

Thanks guys,

@TimHortonsAddict, I think you're right that it was pyrite.  I recall reading about fish-oil sticking to gold too.

@Dwayne: Thanks for info about the little path Smiley  That's precisely why I wanted to make these posts... any additional info on getting down to the reserves is helpful for all of us noobs for sure!

@Goldbug: I should read up about Serpentine. Also, I should've splashed some water on that boulder. I saw a demo where boring jade stones with water splashed on them are suddenly very pretty to look at.  I noticed Lillooet has large polished jade boulders setup all through the town so there must be lots of it in the region.
Goldbug

Canada Canada

Province/ State: bc

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 2

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 08:12:59 AM »

Thanks guys,

@TimHortonsAddict, I think you're right that it was pyrite.  I recall reading about fish-oil sticking to gold too.

@Dwayne: Thanks for info about the little path Smiley  That's precisely why I wanted to make these posts... any additional info on getting down to the reserves is helpful for all of us noobs for sure!

@Goldbug: I should read up about Serpentine. Also, I should've splashed some water on that boulder. I saw a demo where boring jade stones with water splashed on them are suddenly very pretty to look at.  I noticed Lillooet has large polished jade boulders setup all through the town so there must be lots of it in the region.

Jade does have a hide on it that makes it very difficult to distinguish.
I have a cut slab off a jade rock and the outside skin looks very different and if that is all you saw you would be hard pressed to know it was jade.

finch68
PPT Invited

50 years mining experience

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 23

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »

Hard to know for sure what the "-- gold flecks in it washing in and out with the waves" might be without pictures, but I would put my money on them being mica flakes.  Pyrite is pretty heavy and doesn't usually float around in the waves.  Mica can look a lot like gold in certain light conditions, and definitely moves around easily.  In your pan mica will come to the top, look like gold and wash out with the light stuff.  Pyrite will end up in the heavies.

My 2 cents.

finch68
Troy
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 11:56:06 PM »

Hi finch,

Mica sounds like a possibility for sure.  I'd never heard of it prior to last weekend ( I had a most awesome weekend at the Fraser River Gold Panning Competition.  I've been debating posting about that one).

One of the fellas up there was mentioning seeing Mica a lot in the field.  Suspect I should go do some googling on the topic.  Thanks for the lead!
Mine

mining is good

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »

Hi Troy,

Did you bring some stone sample back?
I know something about jade.
If you want, I can meet you somewhere to see them.

You can contact me by the following email.
info at MiningEtc.com

Thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: