collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 113 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: `The Capricorn Slide' (name now dubbed)  (Read 5240 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
`The Capricorn Slide' (name now dubbed)
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
 :o
As we all now know, this was a catastrophic event, but thankfully it did not dam to create an even greater one.  So lucky it was that no one was killed or hurt.  And now the geologists flog to this area in droves, while many a prospector’s mind plays thoughts of earth’s riches now becoming exposed and ripe for the pickings.  Possibly so !

While it appears there’s no placer staking in the area, no ‘new’ mineral claims have emerged since the Slide occurred - - those which were staked previously, pretty much covers Capricorn Creek in totality (northward, southward and westward) and extends eastward, to a point approximately one kilometre west of the confluence of Meager Creek with the Lillooet River.  ‘Tis a pity there’s no placer staking in the region, for one can only envision an opportunity of a lifetime.  It would be like one massive hydraulic operation happening all at one time. Hmmm - - I wonder how many cool nuggets would be found for years to come, in the wash areas as Mother Nature works her little placer-miner miracles?  Then, the new prime detecting areas that ensues from all this.  Should I be so bold as to dub such an event, before it even happens, as “The Capricorn Gold Rush ©” ?  Sounds like a plausible name, and a realistic projection.  For those who do wish to get in on this Rush, maybe it would pay to get your requests into the Ministry, petitioning that they re-zone the entire area from the immediate vicinity of the slide area and downstream for 10 to 15 k’s, for placer staking.  Get your letters in early and designate the exact locations where you would hold an interest in staking, and that ought to land you first dibbs, provided you were indeed the first.  Without question, the early bird gets the worm.  And for those entrepreneurs up in the Pemberton area, you too will miss the boat if you don’t hop onto some promotional advertising to generate new tourist revenue to the region.

What makes me seriously wonder, is, how come this even happened the way that it did??  Yes we know it was from melt water from the glacier, but why so much in such a short period of time?  I cannot perceive there was something similar to a huge water-body buildup way up on a mountain peak, and then it all let go.  In my mind, there must have been a direct cause for such glacier to melt away, and that quick - - of which I conclude to be the most likely - - the old volcano taking on a new life, whereby a thrust of inner heat then caused a rapid melt on the abutting glacier - - soaked the till, then we all know the rest.  So, could it be, possibly even a greater catastrophic event might be in the making - - old Capricorn losing its beanie?   I guess time will tell, aye?  And for our international friends, the word ‘aye' spoken only how a true-blue Canadian can render it.

So - - if anybody hits the jackpot slipping around up at The Capricorn Slide ©, do let us know, keep us up to date on your operations, and, lots and lots and lots and lots of photos would be quite fine, too.  <-yahoo_>
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline myrtle the turtle

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Elliot Lake Ontario
  • Kudos: 0
  • retired paramedic 37yrs.=camping fishing looking f
Re: `The Capricorn Slide' (name now dubbed)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
Larry I am shocked with only one reply to my " BC slide " and your zero.

Is this not the best turnover of earth and a huge sluice that should excite one to their toes with imagination .
If you ain't happy   : (
What are you doing about it   : )

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Larry
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »

LOL  Concern not, for I think most everyone is still a bit bedazzled by it.  And being as their still looms a threat to humankind, folks are still coming to grips with it.  Sooner or later the potential will sink in. Judging about all the natural oddities going on across the globe over the past two years, and my inquisitiveness about how such a rapid melt could occur, my biggest concern is whether there may be a volcanic eruption in the making.  If so and it's a biggie, though I'm roughly 120 miles away, I still wouldn't want to be in this area of BC if she did blow.  'She / He'... for gender concerning folks.  One thing's for sure, it will offer a lot of geological study for decades to come.

Offline myrtle the turtle

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Elliot Lake Ontario
  • retired paramedic 37yrs.=camping fishing looking f
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 07:23:53 AM »
Larry I also think that Mantle heat was rising and undermined,
Tis nice that two old farts still love imagination even when our bods tell us no.

I do hope your gov, sends in vulcanologist's and not just geo.

Larry if your beer starts getting a head on while sitting , time to away FAST!!! <~ShOcK~>

If you ain't happy   : (
What are you doing about it   : )

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Larry
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 07:22:47 AM »

With many months now passing us by, I've yet to hear one peep from 'anyone' regarding the Capricorn Slide.  Wondering if the Gov put it on lock-down to reserve its potential mineral offerings, much like they have done in other areas throughout the province (by making them Parks), or if not one prospector took interest to see what Mother Nature opened up for querying eyes.  With the amount of debris that got displaced, surely there'd be some neat geology to gasp over.  Anybody got any feed on what's happened/happening up there?

Inquisitive me......

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 72
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
Larry,

What is (or was) this "Capricorn Slide"?

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Larry
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »

Early August last year.... up on Meager Creek.  The Capricorn Glacier melting and the whole side of the mountain let go.... this was second only to the Hope Slide, jusy east of me.  Check it out on the net....   Google

Strikes me odd some of our BC boys more handier than I, hadn't gone to check out what it may have tendered up.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 72
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
Thank you, Larry,

Last August I was probably a visitor on Jerry's claims in Alaska, enjoying his beer and his lovely wife's "Most Excellent Dinner" - most certainly steaks on the barbie.   [-1st-] [-1st-] [-1st-] 

For those who ever make it up to Jerry's claims just off Cache Creek - it's a rare treasure to be savored! ---- Oh, I guess Jerry's company is ok too.   lol!!!@* <~ShOcK~> lol!!!@*

Joe

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
Wow Larry, I totally missed that fairly 'major event'  <-shock_>

Amazing force of nature - does make one wonder as you mentio, what the cause of the sudden release may have been.  Anyone know anyone who has been up that way or know any geo's that might have looked into it?

Offline Coastal Prospects

• Province/State: South Coast B.C.
  • Technical Prognosticator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »
This slide event occurs with some regularity. So much so, that locals who live in Pemberton Meadows KNOW that when the Lilloet River suddenly stops flowing to GET OUT!!!

...because the BIG SUDDEN RELEASE is coming!!! While the Lilloet River did briefly stop flowing, the resumption of flow contained itself to within the banks and spared the valley of majpr flooding.

The slides cause a huge dam to form until it lets go with ferocity. The last big one was about a decade ago and ripped  up the feeder river for miles,  that enters the Lilloet River.

The rivers around Meager are not really known for gold, as far as I know, which isn't much. A friend of mine held a mineral claim in the area for extracting pumice. The claim was sold to someone with the resources to develop it. I believe that is the source of the pumice of one of the block and cement plants in Vancouver. The lighter weight of pumice in the aggregate offered benefits such as lighter weight concrete block and mortars.

The flood mayhem wiped out the road to the hotsprings, but a road is now in place with temporary, read permanent, bridge for the hotspringers. How nice! The river through there now proceeds along its merry pace again. I suppose some panning in the new river couldn't hurt, as it has acted long enough to be a nice concentrating sluice now. Perhaps some panning samples where the excavators were were working mid-stream to replace the bridge would give a quick tell if the area is worth investigating for gold. If no gold is found in that area then I highly doubt the rest of the now high and dry carnage areas would be worth checking.

If a panning adventure there doesn't show color, one can always take solace in soothing their muscles in the hot springs. How many gold claims can say that?  {cool^sign}

Gear Pan
Gold Rat