collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

JOE S (INDY)

Dot Guests: 127 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12170
  • stats Total Posts: 119712
  • stats Total Topics: 16478
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

Author Topic: best way to set up a recirculating le trap sluice  (Read 8462 times)

Offline roryhunt

• Kudos: 0
best way to set up a recirculating le trap sluice
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
ive been trying to figure out how to set up my le trap with a 800gph bilge pump but cant quite seem to get the gold to stay at the top , i live in alberta so all i deal with is flour gold any suggestions?

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
Re: best way to set up a recirculating le trap sluice
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:17:17 PM »
What is the width of your sluice, kind of thinking that you don't have enough water GPM or GPH going through and over your riffle in sluice box to make the riffles actually perform as they should...........................Guest

Offline roryhunt

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »
46'' long and 15'' wide

Offline TroyB

• Province/State: St. Alberta
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
Hey roryhunt,
I too have a recirculating system set up at home with a le Trap sluice. Experimented for many hours before I was satisfied.... Until... Ahh_me2 sent me the actual link for the instructions for the le Trap.

After checking my tailings I discovered that I was only getting about 70% recovery before reading and following the instructions. www.jobewholesale.com/pdf/Le%20Trap%20Sluice%20Instructions.pdf

I classify my material down further than suggested in the instructions. I use a 1/4 inch classifier on the NSR and then classify that down even further at home to about 20 mesh before running it trough the sluice.

Anyways I have discovered, after running my tailings through a small miller table as well as a blue bowl that my recovery has increased to 85-90%. A large volume of water at medium velocity seems to work best. Obviously you will have to experiment a bit to get acceptable recovery.

I am planning on building some sort of hopper system this winter to accompany my le Trap so I can bring it down to the river after spring run off. If you want to compare ideas let me know.

Hope this helps

Offline lsfog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Hinton, Ab
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:13:38 AM »
As Greywolf said --- more water --- from what others -with Letraps have told me  - you need at least 20 GPM "minimum" to get those drop rifles to work proper.
A trip to Princess Auto is in your future --
I personally tried near everything in the 12V line, cause I hated gas pumps, with mixed results.
Recently I bought a small Robin Subaru pump and hokesmokes what a difference.
Now I bring the water to me instead of packing the material to the water.
Too soon old // too late smart.

Offline Wil

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:40:06 AM »

Isfog:  Now you've gone and tweaked our interest.   <-laugh-> <-laugh-> How much difference?  How many GPH?  Where did you get it?  How much $$?
How heavy?  Self powered?  Got a photo? 
It's sounding really good!   Thanks....Wil

Offline Al in Ogden

• There's much more gold in Utah than meets the eye!
  • Kudos: 2
    • alanmeyer.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »

Isfog:  Now you've gone and tweaked our interest.   <-laugh-> <-laugh-> How much difference?  How many GPH?  Where did you get it?  How much $$?
How heavy?  Self powered?  Got a photo? 
It's sounding really good!   Thanks....Wil
This is the Robin Subaru PKV101 I use with my 2 inch LeTrap dredge and it works great. They are hard to find, but justwaterpumps.com seems to have them. I got mine from Harbor Freight for under $200 on clearance. They don't carry them now. It's a light, quiet, powerful little 4 stroke.
Al

Offline Wil

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 06:58:19 AM »
Thanks Al
Not a bad price when you consider what Keene charges for the 1 1/2" Honda combo and you don't need too much volume...Wil

Offline lsfog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Hinton, Ab
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
Al -- 2 inch Letrap dredge ?? please give me some info on that.
Ya the R S pump is a winner in my books.

Offline Al in Ogden

• There's much more gold in Utah than meets the eye!
  • Kudos: 2
    • alanmeyer.com
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
Al -- 2 inch Letrap dredge ?? please give me some info on that.
Ya the R S pump is a winner in my books.
[attach=#][/attach][attachimg=#]
This the only photo I have of my Letrap dredge, (That's my grandson giving it a try)
It has a flare from Angus Mackirk, so I can also use it as a sluice and this adds a stronger base to attach and old Keene box I bought from a friend. It's 2.5 incher which I've necked down to 2, but I think the RS pump might handle a 2.5 suction nozzle. I run it at half throttle with my 2" so it doesn't overload the Letrap with sand. The floats are from a pool lounge chair with a .5 pvc pipe frame. I have beefed up the frame somewhat since this picture was taken. I run the sluice as flat as I can, since the gold here is small and there's lots of blacksand. My suction noozle is from an old Keene P60 dredge and has opening bars to block rocks larger than .5". It works well on this Middle Fork of the Boise claim, but at the full 28 gpm, it fills the Letrap with sand quickly unless it's at a steep angle, which loses most of the fly speck gold.

I made spacers to fill the gaps on either side of the boiler box and the flare. They leak a little water, but I don't want the seal them in place so I can still use the Letrap as a stream sluice. An earlier version had a homemade aluminum boiler box that was sealed to the Letrap with silcone, but it eliminated the stream sluice option. I've checked and found I'm loosing little, if any powder fine gold with the slightly leaky, set up. The spacers are made from spray foam insulation over a layer of aluminum foil and trimmed level on top with a knife and painted with a few heavy coats of laxtex.

The pump sits on light aluminum bars, attached with rivets, and spaced to fit the bottom pump. That's an idea I got from a small Angus Mackirk back pack sluice I have. They brace the sides of the somewhat flimsy Letrap and are great to put a big rock on when sluicing in the river.

It's great fine-gold-getter in either configuration!
Al