collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 165 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13047
  • stats Total Posts: 131587
  • stats Total Topics: 18398
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: making a BIGGER bLue bowl?  (Read 36131 times)

Offline Bill_Carson

• Kudos: 3
    • The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Re: making a BIGGER bLue bowl?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »
Here's the dimensions of the Blue Bowl as posted by someone else on a different thread ...

There are 2 types of people in this world my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Offline CanuckBC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Kelowna BC
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »

Offline Bill_Carson

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 08:09:59 PM »
The picture at the top of that link is just showing a pump motor ... and their Blue Bowl Kit just looks like the standard size unit.

With over 2,700 views on this thread, there's obviously some interest in making a bigger Blue Bowl. 

There are 2 types of people in this world my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Offline CanuckBC

• PPT Invited
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
so that and some sort of auto feeder your set

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Portland OR, USA
  • Kudos: 6
  • All my hair fell through.
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »
If you make one for yourself, that is kosher, but if someone makes one for sale, then I would call that patent infringement.

Do any of you have the slightest idea what a plastic billet and the machine work for what you propose would cost? That is just for a one- off. A mold would be many many thousands of dollars.
 The cost of the mold is why a blue bowl is 70 bucks rather than 30 or so. They have to amortize the cost of the tooling over the expected number of units that they figure they can sell during the period of the loan of capital for that tooling.
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

Offline CanuckBC

• PPT Invited
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »
I'm kinda of a lazy guy sounds like to much work to build one so ill just go buy 3 and have them all running at the same time so ill have a 3x bigger blue bowl

Offline Bill_Carson

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »
Hi will ... I talked to Keene Eng. the other day ... they gave me some rough figures to engineer a Mega Blue Bowl ... I'm also currently talking with the company who purchased the Blue Bowl patent back in 1990 from the original inventor; I'm trying to talk them into Super-Sizing it.

BTW... if patents are only good for 20 years ... the patent protection period looks like its has expired for the original Blue Bowl ... which may explain why there is a number of knock-off's out there.

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Portland OR, USA
  • Kudos: 6
  • All my hair fell through.
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »
Thought the BB was newer than that. I do like mine. It is one of the most wizardly mining tools I have seen yet. If the patent has expired, then one can be made for you, but IMO it will not be cost effective. Would you like me to do a quote for you. I can make one. Would you like it in blue? Pioneer mining is the current master distributor, and may hold the rights for the unit. Nice folks there.

The plastic billet to make a large one would not be cheep, nor would the vertical boring mill time.
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 11:07:03 AM »
Just turn it on a wood lathe, then spray it with polyurethane....done...no big deal  <-dont~know->

But I think it would be easier just to buy 6 of the standard BB and set them up on a table with an auto feeder in the middle.

You could even put them on a lazy susan type of revolving stand...just throwing ideas out there  <-good_>

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 11:15:58 AM »
Thinking about this idea, as I have a blue bowl as well, and it does work pretty good I will say, the thought that comes to mind is the amount of water used in the operation is about 3 gallons per minute of clean water, these things don't seem to work on dirty water all that well, so recycling the water doesn't look like an option to be use.

So as you increase the size of the design one important feature that comes to mind is how do you deal with the used water, things are going to be getting pretty wet around the table or your feet, sort of something like this, lets say that a 10 inch dia BB has a surface area of 78.5 sq inches now if you were to go to a 20 inch dia BB you would have a surface area of 314 sq inches, 4 times the area so now that you have doubled the dia, I'm thinking in order to make this work you are going to have to double the height of the bowl and the inside funnel to have everything work as designed, so we are now having to use 3 gpm x 4 area x 2 height = 24 gallons per minute that you are going to have to be able to dump or depose of some how, getting a little wet around her as we speak we're up to 1440 gph and we have only doubled the dia of the Blue Bowl, I may be a little off on my calculations but thats going to be using a fair bit of water..............Guest

Gear Pan
Gold Rat