collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 120 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12581
  • stats Total Posts: 125036
  • stats Total Topics: 17255
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Plastic Beach Sluice  (Read 14438 times)

Offline cloudwalker

• Kudos: 2
Plastic Beach Sluice
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »
Here are a few shots of the beach sluice I just finished.  It it designed to be used in streams where they run onto the beach.  I have a trip to the South Oregon coast coming up in June.

It is made from the sides of a 13 gallon plastic garbage can.  The braces and rock bridge are made from old curtain rods attached with pop rivets.  The lower half has square ribbed rubber matting that gold sticks to like glue. At the very bottom is a picker trap made from a piece of gutter guard that is held in place with the original gutter clips.
It is 16 x 43 inches when assembled and 16x22 when taken apart.  The rear slick plate/flare overlaps the riffle section when assembled.  Total weight is 5.8 pounds.

I have run several buckets of material classified down to -1/4 in. and it catches small gold just fine.

Comments or suggestions welcome.

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
Re: Plastic Beach Sluice
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:28:25 PM »
Very ingenious.... I'm glad to see someone came up with a use for old curtain rods  {cool^sign}

What is in the funky 5 gallon backpack....a classifyer, a small hand trowel perhaps ?

Offline cloudwalker

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »
Very ingenious.... I'm glad to see someone came up with a use for old curtain rods  {cool^sign}

What is in the funky 5 gallon backpack....a classifyer, a small hand trowel perhaps ?

The bucket backpack is something I came up with that I call the "Gold Tote".  It started as a wrap around bucket caddy made for fishing.  I added backpack straps, a pad for my back, and tighting straps.  It holds everthing I need for those long walks.

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »
cloudwalker
Looks like you pretty much have everything covered.... {-applause-}

Except for maybe toilet paper and cold beer  ;D

Or is that in your partners Gold Tote   :)

Offline CaribooAu

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Province/State: Prince George
  • Kudos: 54
    • Boilerbox Highbankers
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »
Cool set-up and great to see your family getting involved.
May The Fever Be With You...

Offline Vagadero

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
 {-applause-}

honeyman76

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:28:53 AM »
I think thats awesome that your including the family. The whole reason that I got teh gold fever to begin with, was because my Step dads friend took us out to his Bridge River claim when I was young, maybe 10 years old or so. I have been hooked since!. The bottom line is, when your kids are young, thats when you want to make a good impression on them. Gold Prospecting is a healthy past time.

Offline cloudwalker

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 08:50:47 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  It's actually more fun when I take my daughter along.  With children there is always something new going on.  She is also very good with the pan and sluice and can out-do most adults.  This adds to the gold collection, two for the price of one.
Children love to play in the water and throw rocks.  Just convince them to throw a few in the buckets.

Offline Woodspirit

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Knoxville, Tennessee
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:34 AM »
CW,

So this is the project you were telling me about. I like it.   {cool^sign}

I use the same gutter screen in my poop tube sluice, works great.

I hope your new sluice works for you on the beach in Oregon. Your trip should be a lot of fun.

TJ
Coker Creek

honeyman76

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  It's actually more fun when I take my daughter along.  With children there is always something new going on.  She is also very good with the pan and sluice and can out-do most adults.  This adds to the gold collection, two for the price of one.
Children love to play in the water and throw rocks.  Just convince them to throw a few in the buckets.

Child labour, I love it! LOL