collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 170 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131073
  • stats Total Topics: 18332
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: My Bazooka Sluice Mods  (Read 10298 times)

Offline jcazgoldchaser

• Kudos: 4
Re: My Bazooka Sluice Mods
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »
The Gold Hog legs are well thought out and well built.  Once I saw them I figured that I could make my own, even though I don't have welding capability.  The Gold Hog legs are on my bigger Bazooka, and my homemade ones are on the smaller.  My homemade ones are riveted together, while the Gold Hog pieces are purpose built with some welding.

I'm interested in more details / ideas on building my own set of legs.  How have yours worked out?

Thanks,
-mark
Checkout the legs on this sluice:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/263238-my-diy-fluid-bed-gold-trap-sluice.html

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: My Bazooka Sluice Mods
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 05:53:01 AM »
I am not a fan of 'pre-set' adjustments for legs. I want to be able to set the leg 'exactly' where I want it...

Here is how I do it, notice the eye bolt is pressing into the corner of the 3/4" square tubing. This gives a lot of surface area to clamp the round 1/2" round stock legs:

See it in action:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ovy1orlwyk[/youtube]

Here are the directions I wrote up - first pass 'rough.'
Astrobouncer and Dr. Phil recommend standing in front of the sluice to slow down the water when pulling it.

Bazooka Frame Operating Instructions

1) Put all four legs in the main frame and lightly tighten them in place. The front legs should be around 1 inch shorter then the back to start.
2) Put the assembled frame into the faster running water (no sluice). In slower moving water, rock dam wings or the equivalent will be need to funnel enough water in the sluice ram and fluid bed for proper operation.
3) Adjust the legs one at a time pushing and turning them down into the stream bed. Don't worry to much about leveling yet.
4) Place some larger rocks between the back legs to help hold the frame down but more importantly to encourage water into the sluice ram and not all underneath the sluice.
5) Insert the sluice and adjust the height, level and angle. The water should flow over the highest point of the sluice past the grizzly. One inch of water is a nice place to start. Keep the angle as shallow as possible to move rocks through the system, increase the water depth before increasing the angle.
6) Tighten all set screws securely.
7) Remove the sluice and shovel some smaller rocks into the middle of the frame in between the large rocks you placed earlier. It is important to not let too much water go underneath the sluice.
8) Replace the sluice.
9) Run some test material through the sluice to make sure you have the system clearing rocks with minimal assistance (clearing the grizzly bars periodically is normal.)
10) Slip your fingers into the discharge of the sluice after the sluice has had a chance to clear. If your feel the material going past the middle of the PVC pipes you are probably scouring too much material out of your fluid bed and possible finer gold. Either raise the angle to be shallower or let more water around or under the sluice.

11) To empty the sluice, push back on the front and move the sluice backwards 3 or four inches. Then grab the BOTTOM of the front and the back of the sluice and raise up out of the water in a level fashion, carefully clearing the top retaining tabs. Dump the sluice into a bucket of water and rinse out with a up and down motion.

Tips:

a) The sluice likes LOTS of water and you should expect to wear rubber boots and put the sluice out into the water a ways.
b) When to empty the sluice? Really the best way to answer this is to watch the fluid bed for packing or too much material. You can poke at the fluid bed with a stick or even slip you (skinny) fingers in the back. It is ok to grab one of the legs and shake the sluice side to side a little (not too violently). This will help exchange some lights for heavies, just watch the level of those heavies (check for packing.)
c) The sluice is a work horse and can handle a lot of material, but don't get carried away. Feed the sluice at half throttle not turbo!
d) Stand in front of the sluice when pulling. Slows the water entering into the sluice and makes it easier to pull.

This frame design is much lighter then my first design(prototype). When transporting the Bazooka sluice, just leave the sluice in the frame...

My way... err 2 bits...

Did someone say       

Gear Pan
Gold Rat