collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

garryk50PrinceGeorgeGoldGuy

Dot Guests: 172 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129934
  • stats Total Topics: 18174
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Infinity Jet 2"  (Read 4836 times)

Offline nuggetstoosmall

• Kudos: 1
Re: Infinity Jet 2"
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:58:08 PM »
The screws were removed and the 3" to 2" reducer glued into place. Only reason for that was local club members wanted to see the inside of the infinity jet. Next build is a 3" and parts have been ordered and should be finished and running in a week or so. Can't wait to take that on the river and work some prime spots. Will be hooking a 4" or 6" corrugated black tubing to it.

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:55:34 AM »
Nice work, what kind of suction is this making for you?
Any video?

A 4700gph pump wouldn't last more then 2 hours on the best of batteries... Why electric?

Did someone say       

Offline nuggetstoosmall

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
The batteries do last more than two hours. Depends on what type battery. The BLM in Colorado is talking of closing down dredging except for gravity dredge and this is known as a gravity assist. Which is ok.  Normally the battery last 5 hours of constant use. Longer than you'll be in the water. Its 42 degrees in the water. Yes its easy to switch to a gas pump.

Offline goldsnare

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 05:28:56 AM »
nice write up and pic's.

I'd like to make a couple suggestions to make it easier on building the jet. Try using a 3x3x2 pvc hub as the housing and connect the bilge pump using a rubber coupler to the 2" side input. Install a 3x2 reducing bushing into hub (input end) and ream out the bushing so a 2" pipe slides right through but is snug. use a piece of 2 1/2  shc40 electrical pipe for the outlet(exhaust) end. Using a heat gun or hot water on stove, heat up approximately 4" at the end of the 2 1/2 pipe and flare the pipe using a 1 liter glass wine bottle that has a nice sweeping flare. Takes some practice to get it right and some lubricant helps. The large end of the flare can be glued to the hub outlet if you can get the dimensions right. Take the 2" inlet pipe and slide it in until it meets the flare at the outlet pipe and adjust the gap. Use 4 set screws like your pic's to set the center of the pipe(I like to grind off the screw points) The set screws can hold the pipe in place and allow for moving the pipe for cleaning out debris. By using a 2 1/2 outlet pipe it is easier to meet the 3" hub dimensions and reduces chances of getting rock jams in the jet significantly. You could use a 2" exhaust, but flaring it to the 3" dimension is tricky and the sidewalls get thin. A 2" rubber coupler can connect the inlet pipe to the hose (make sure hose is cut flush for a almost seamless fit)

I hope this helps a little. I was building them very similar using reducing couplings but this adds a lot of work in reaming out the couplings to the correct size and angle that can be skipped by making a simple flare.

My 2 cents worth.

Offline nuggetstoosmall

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 08:23:57 AM »
Thanks, good idea. Just got my 3" p232 valve and will be making 3" infinity jet. Will make a 3" suction nozzle, with a 2" gas trash pump running it with the infinity jet inline. Plenty of suction. Used it on the 2" and great results.  I would of bought a high pressure pump, initially, but, got the trash pump for a hundred, p232 valves are only $23 and the bilge pump is used to run the recirculating hb dual purpose. Still way short of a high pressure pump. Plus the fun of ideas.

Offline Keith Blackwell

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »
I have played with the 3x3x2 with the reducer design and was really impressed by the amount of suction created. I had about 15 dollars in it and added it to fuild bed design I came up with. thanks for the pics I will try this design and see which works better

Keith

Offline goldsnare

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »
Hi Keith, good to hear your having some luck with it. I did a better write up on how to build one in this post. also has pic's
Infinity jet for gold dredge

Gear Pan
Gold Rat