GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: ebuyc - Monday, 20 October 2014 17:34
Thanks Larry/Dave for giving out the new awards to BrotherJames and McBain!
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

October 20, 2014, 07:08:09 PM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Mining supplies
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

Fine Gold Recovery Equipment
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Jig Plans?  (Read 13576 times)
Montana
Trade Count: (0)

United States United States

Province/ State: Montana

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:52:06 AM »

Has any one seen or know where to get plans for a Pan-American Jig?
I would like to build something that would do 3-5 YPH. 
thanks
Mike

GollyMrScience
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 129

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 100 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarded to members who have more than 50 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »

You might find something like an Idaho Jig easier to build as the diaphrams are a bit of trick on a Pan Am.

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!
Diamondhunter
PPT Invited

Province/ State: CA

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:20:59 AM »

Hi montana

Looking for plans on how to build a jig is like looking for Solomon's treasure. Your best bet is to study every picture and document you can find and try to build your own. I would encourage you to find a small pan-am duplex jig from Goldfield or IRD, scale the size up and modify to your desire. We build them and believe it or not the most expensive piece is the diaphragm. But you can get away with using a 4 ply tire cut in half which actually outperforms the molded rubber one. Go ahead and PM me and I will try to help. BTW after using jigs for the past 40 years we much prefer round jigs to square hutch types, especially if you are going after diamonds.

GollyMrScience
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 100 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarded to members who have more than 50 reputation points on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:23:01 AM »

Here is a link to a commercial offering of what I call an "Idaho jig" Delta Mineral Jigs
They are simple to build and operate and can be made in a circular hutch design if desired.
In actual fact the jig is of the Denver MS type - sometimes its called an Improved Harz but I just lump them all under the term Idaho Jig as that is what they were called when I first encountered them as a "young guy".
Note the flat diaphram - often made from heavy rubber scavanged from commercial inner tubes.

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!
Montana

Province/ State: Montana

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »

Thanks Diamondhunter & MrScience
This now brings me to another question. What makes a round hutch better than a square hutch?  It looks like a square hutch would make feeding it easer.
I just found the delta jigs and the look simple enough.  I wander what there price is for something in the 14" range?
GollyMrScience
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »

The round jig does not have the same drag in the hutch. As you can see the material moves from one end to the other through the rectangular jig while a round jig has a centre feed and the material moves out over the edges. This gives the round jig some real advantages in consistent and even forces throughout and across the jig bed while a square jig has differing bed dynamics along the sides and depending on where in the jig and how the jig is operated the dynamics can be quite variable. Between the two hutches, the edges of the ragging beds, and along the sidewalls can cause enough drag to cause unacceptable settling. In order to overcome that operators will sometimes increase the jigging hutch water or jigging force or both and instead of causing drag those areas act like pathways for water from below and the water takes the path of least resistance thereby getting too aggressive in those areas and robbing the rest of the bed of needed water flow.
The round jig does not suffer from these wall effects. They also have a flow that diminishes as the bed size increases so the minerals have a better chance to settle.

Diamondhunter
PPT Invited

Province/ State: CA

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:19:34 AM »

Mr. Science

That is an incredible answer. There is no way I would have been able to reply with an answer of that merit. 
GollyMrScience
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:42:10 AM »

Thanks Hunter - I was hoping it was enough to get the ideas across without getting into my usually long lecture mode.  L-M-A-O

GollyMrScience
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 07:56:50 AM »

Montana if you have your heart set on a jig I would suggest you keep your eyes open as you travel around because these things are essentially bullet proof and last for a very long time. They end up in the strangest places as they are used and then set aside as the mine closes or other technology is brought in. You can find them in boneyards all over North America and with a bit of fixing up they can work for another long time. You can sometimes get them essentially for scrap price if the situation is right.
I picked up four 42 inch duplex American Balanced Jigs for just over $1200 for all four. Saw them sitting in the bone yard of a gravel company. Turns out the owner had gotten them as part of a conveyor/screening plant bought at auction.He knew they had something to do with washing gravel but had no use for them so had dragged them to one corner of the property with the idea that he could at least salvage some steel off them. Keep your eyes open and one might just jump out at ya from the wierdest place.  Grin
The diaphrams are the tricky part and if a jig took a custom made diaphram and the company is no longer in business it can be tough to bring a jig  back from the dead.

PlacerPal

Canada Canada

Province/ State: B.C.

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 34

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam Awarded to members who report forum related errors Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »

Montana,

There is or was a rebuilt single jig for sale CAD$1,750 on Vancouver Island, B.C.
Looks to be quite large though. The Jan/10 adv was cached by google here:

Gold Prospecting Placer Mining Gold Jig - Vancouver Farming Equipment For Sale - Kijiji Vancouver

Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: