collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 158 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130854
  • stats Total Topics: 18307
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Is panning in Grizzly country safe??  (Read 93010 times)

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
Re: Is panning in Grizzly country safe??
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »
The 870 I have holds 4 in the magazine and 1 the chamber.
Just don't go out in hunting season on your claim....you might have to answer a few tough questions  ;D

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 16
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 07:17:35 PM »
6 in the mag and 1 in the chamber is correct. just did not want you get snookered. if you are new to firearms i strongly recomend you take a good firearms class or at least get together with a gunwise buddy for a little guidence and then find some where to practice and get used to your new gun. nothing worse than not being able to find the safety  when you really need it. also dont carry that round 7 in the chamber not good only load the chamber when you need it.   take care.   jerry

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »
6 in the mag and 1 in the chamber is correct. just did not want you get snookered. if you are new to firearms i strongly recomend you take a good firearms class or at least get together with a gunwise buddy for a little guidence and then find some where to practice and get used to your new gun. nothing worse than not being able to find the safety  when you really need it. also dont carry that round 7 in the chamber not good only load the chamber when you need it.   take care.   jerry

juu907 mine is a factory short (legel) 870 if I put that many shells in it I would blow the end of the magazine off  <~ShOcK~>  <-hypnotized-> and all of my shells would shoot out on the ground that could be all bad.... <-yes_> <-unsure_>

But it is true... there is no reason to store your gun with one in the chamber unless you were hearing big footsteps in the bush then you might want a little more insurance ;D

Vikingsniper

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »
Yeah good point TomCat  {cool^sign} .....earlier in this thread someone said a Rem 870 can't Jam but they Can & Do  <-yes_> if you don't pull the pump back hard enough you get what is called a " Stove Pipe " if this happens in the wrong place at the wrong time your in Big Trouble....so Practice,Practice,Practice!!!....I know this never happens with a Mossberg 590 due to the dual extractors.
Stove Pipe  :(
 {-down-}   

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »
Yeah good point TomCat  {cool^sign} .....earlier in this thread someone said a Rem 870 can't Jam but they Can & Do  <-yes_> if you don't pull the pump back hard enough you get what is called a " Stove Pipe " if this happens in the wrong place at the wrong time your in Big Trouble....so Practice,Practice,Practice!!!....I know this never happens with a Mossberg 590 due to the dual extractors.
Stove Pipe  :(
 {-down-}   

I have never had a jamb...however a friend with the same gun has...but he does his own reloads...cheap bugger....serves him right.
The Moss has the same problem and more with reloads I hear.
I keep the gun sqweaky clean and well mainained...so far no issues.  <-good_>

Having a jamb with a bear staring you down would probably make your heart stop and you would miss all of the excitement  <~ShOcK~>

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
well tomcat now you got me thinking now i have to dig mine out and check but i think 6 is right unless you have a plug in the mag which is required in some areas to hold capacity to 3 rounds. viking you are right about the stovepipe and like anything practice. once you develop a closing action it becomes 2nd nature.  jerry

Offline pjstarchild

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Sparwood, BC
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »
Very good point guys!!! I will deffinately practice, until I feel comfortable with it. Luckily I have a couple friends that are into guns alot and know there stuff to help me out at the range.

They got a laugh when I started looking into guns and said I want something for bears, and I dont want to mess around, would a short barrel 10 guage be ok??? <-dont~know-> lol!!!@*. I was serious. Go hard or go home right??!! Well I guess not in this curcumstance. Im sure that would have broken a wrist!! ;D

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
My shotgun of choice is a 14 inch barrelled 870 Remington. Factory issue so legal here in Kanuckistan. I sacrifice the extended mag for the ease of carry and fast in tight spots. I put an open sight on it that I can change out for a ghost ring site but experience has shown me that I can aquire the v notch faster. I have four plus one and once again experience has shown me that if things are not winding down by the third shot I am in big trouble. In actual real life two has been the most I have gotten off before the bear was on top of me. Thankfully it was enough.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 08:03:09 PM »
As for practice I built a "bear launcher" at the ranch to practice shooting at a charging mass.
Simple plywood ramp like a kids slide with a rope pull on a stick put across the top.
The stick holds back an old truck tire and when the rope is pulled the tire rolls down the launcher and comes at a guy real fast moving a lot like a bear meaning business.
In the off season I change shooting directions and the tire goes across the shooting range. A piece of cardboard across the hole and it is now a deer.
Tricky things them old tires.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
reg 870s are available with 6 or 7 round mags. mine has a 28" barrel and holds 6. pjstarchild. i used to own a spanish made matador 3 1/2 inch 10 ga. mag. dbbl. barrel. believe me you do not want a 10ga. in a shorty. mine had 32" barrels and was ruthless. only thing i have owned that was a little worse was a thompson contender in 45-70 with a 14" barrel and no muzzle brake. a friend of mine at 235 lbs could not fire it with his feet side by side and not take a step back. you are making a good choice. just practice practice.   get yellow.    jerry

Gear Pan
Gold Rat