collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

camper1chekaracanada

Dot Guests: 210 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130877
  • stats Total Topics: 18308
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Is panning in Grizzly country safe??  (Read 93027 times)

Online jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 21
Re: Is panning in Grizzly country safe??
« Reply #310 on: October 13, 2016, 09:59:02 PM »
Dang - that is sad.  Bears (and cougars) are dangereous critters. Can't let your awareness/avoidance slip and can't loose your head and nerve in an encounter.

One thing about guns - lots of opinions here, but my choice instead of a rifle - too maulings are committed by bears after they are fatally shot - if I were making a firearm my primary defense (I think you only get one chance with whatever you choose - not enough time to spray then shoot) would be a 12 gauge with premium buckshot and plan on just one shot, head shot, at VERY close range.

Stay safe - a very experienced woman prospector lives up the street from me. Middle of day, with dog present, above treeline, and observed from other side of small treeless valley, was attacked by grizzly. Easy for me to say, 'Not too bad.', but she'll never again have full use of one arm.

Yeah - most experiences for most people end peaceably - but never forget that past performance is not a reliable predictor of future performance. Working on your knees along a noisy creek is high risk, even if the risk is low.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »
Hi.Silver.Very good statsI did not take the time to compare them to traffic deaths.But am sure the caparison would run millions to one.All that being said Bear attacks do happen.I know of several where drillers were attacked by starving wounded bears and others for no apparent reason.Normally after all the investigations are done there is a human cause somewhere.Not always but most times.They never talk about females on their monthly or even look atDogs on the same.Afemale dog can get you wiped out fast.But we never hear about these things.I think if they started making the cause of the attact known folks might get better educated.Just my thoughts Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »
Hi.Silver.I just like you spent the last couple hours researhing bear kills in b.c.. even tried names.nothing comes up except that kid in mekenzie a while back.Phils last post was dec.2014.To much crap on youtube and facebook these days.Do not know .luck Mcbain.

Offline panhandler

• Province/State: East Kootenay BC
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2016, 09:23:43 PM »
I have seen more bears close to town than I have in the bush over 30 years of flyfishing, camping & prospecting. Should be more careful in the back yard.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #314 on: October 15, 2016, 08:41:09 PM »
Hi.Digger.Stats say there is one canadian killed buy a bear every 5 years,Canada wide.Pjstarchild even under his real name does not come up any where.Any comment would help some of the folks that knew him personal.Curiuose as too your info.Luck Mcbain.

Offline shuswapdon

• New user
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #315 on: October 15, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »
Bears are not a problem if you prospect in the late fall and winter including panning unless the stream is frozen solid.  I have been all over GRIZZ country and never seen one, just do not investigate caves.  During other times if you find color, stay upwind and release skunk scent if you need to, I have found it very effective; allowing you time to leave.  A grizzly can move with incredible speed, they can even outrun a horse on the quarter mile, so don't chance a meeting.  Bear "bangers" may chase him/her but even a 45-70 chest shot may not bring them down.  Good luck

Offline DIGGER44

• Province/State: East Kootenays
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #316 on: October 16, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
I saw a blue RAV4 in fernie!  It looked just like pjstarchilds.  I was stuck at the light then lost the RAV4.  I just heard that he was attacked by a bear.  I assumed he was dead the way the story went.  I have met him a few times in wild horse panning.  He had a real good nose for finding gold.   Hi Lo silver and mcbain you seem to know him better give him a call and see if he is actually dead?  I feel like an idiot saying I saw him in fernie,  it sounds like an Elvis sighting.  Could you guys find out what is going on?  The rumours are flying around the East Kootenays.

Offline DIGGER44

• Province/State: East Kootenays
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #317 on: October 16, 2016, 09:59:59 AM »
Hi lo silver did you check Facebook?  I don't know his last name just his first.  I still remember the first day I met him he shook my hand and said hi I'm Phil, your digging in the wrong spot, see that rusty gravel dig there.  It was my first time panning and he helped me out a lot on what to look for and where to dig.  Just a solid upstanding guy.  I would really hope he is alive. 

Offline White Dog

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
  • Audentes Fortuna Juvat
« Reply #318 on: October 16, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
In my 40+ years in northern bc i have been run off to my truck once and treed twice by grizz in addition one young one about 2 years old had me cornered and i chased him off bouncing baseball sized rocks off his head and yelling Had a buddy treed for a whole day by a sow with cubs  Always take tp with you .you might need it!!!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat