collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

juu907Johnnydanger

Dot Guests: 181 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130828
  • stats Total Topics: 18306
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Is panning in Grizzly country safe??  (Read 93001 times)

Offline pjstarchild

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Sparwood, BC
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Is panning in Grizzly country safe??
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »
Remington 870, I will deffinatly look into that one. I was kinda thinking of a tactical with recoil...easier on the shoulder.

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
I checked into this with the owner of a gun shop and he used to teach the SWAT teams here in Vancouver...he said stay away from the pistol grips as it interferes with your aim...stay with the 870 stock it's nice and short to begin with. More control when you are looking into a Grizzlies eyes  ;D
If you shoot buckshot or slugs you could break your wrist with a pistol grip..... and not get your second shot off  <~ShOcK~>
They pack a pretty good whallop  <-hypnotized->

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »
One thing that I've found that works to keep wildlife with real sensitive noses out of camp, is a keep it clean around camp, MOTHBALLS most animals can't stand the smell of them put them in cans with a lot of holes in them so the smell can drift around, but place them where they wouldn't get rained on and they will last a little while, make a circle outside of camp a little bit, and then another circle of camp right close up, keep a good supply of mothballs in an air tight container for refilling, another thing I've come across, haven't tried it but a friend of mine who lives out at Cariboo River,year round, and has for the last 30 years, BLEACH soaked rags hung here and there and bleach on wooden door frames and windows, he swears by it, and it keeps the mice and squirrels out, if you can keep those pesty little critters out should maybe work on the bigger varmints as well.......Guest

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 12:49:31 PM »
Someone also mentioned Pinesol as a good camp perimeter deterrent   <-thinking->  {cool^sign}

Online juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 16
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
well a little clearing up here. dont cook the bacon in camp. do it at home.spread the cans out at least 100 yards all around camp not in it. any bears in the area already know you are there and may or may not investigate. but if they do they will find the cans before the find you. the let out a pretty impressive woof when they bite. down on one and generally figure this not a place to their liking. i have used this method for several years around the homestead during bad bear years and it has always worked both with both browns and blacks. if ol griz is sporting a fresh orange face i doubt it is smiling.   jerry

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 12:58:13 PM »
I'll have to try the spray bomb trick, sounds interesting, could see it working fairly well, might be a little against PETAs beliefs, would be funny as  {-censored-}to watch though, thinking that bear would be heading back for the hills a lot faste than it came downfrom them.........Guest

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »
 lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@* Dayglo orange would be a hoot...and some Fluorescent yellow for night time  <-laugh-> <-laugh-> <-good_>

Offline Five-Oh

• PPT Invited
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
Someone also mentioned Pinesol as a good camp perimeter deterrent   <-thinking->  {cool^sign}
Read the same thing and tried it out in the Tulameen claims I was testing out last summer.. Never saw hide nor hair of bear nor cougar for the week we were in there... Mindya I had a couple of maniac but wimpy Weimers with me also ;)

Online juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 16
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
PETA. you mean people eat tasty animals right. you are correct about the mothballs they work very well. as for the bleach it also works. my favorite way with the bleach or ammonia is to hang a soda or other plastic bottle with a portion cut out of the side and then put a cup of either in it. bears are not only curious but they tend to like anything plastic. let him tip that up and get a face full. and you will hear a sound you will never forget. dont really hurt them but believe me they will avoid the area for quite awhile. i guess only imagination can limit the possible methods.   jerry

Offline Harry

• Province/State: B.C.
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 02:18:05 PM »
I also read about pine-sol somewhere and was thinking of using it because there definitely is a griz in my area. Another idea I have is to buy a cross bow or a bow. Can use it as a lazy man's fishing rod when not primed as a paw stabber. 

Gear Pan
Gold Rat