collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

chekaracanada

Dot Guests: 170 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131073
  • stats Total Topics: 18332
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: My Three Foremost Metal Detecting Tips  (Read 5294 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
My Three Foremost Metal Detecting Tips
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »
First Tip –
RESEARCH, research and more research, will prove to be your greatest salvation and truest measuring tool between success and failure.  Know your area, its history and your anticipated targets, then add a whole world of unknown little prizes.  Include in the mix, a quality detector, of which you learn its usage thoroughly, plus incorporate a set of good quality earphones, sprinkle in a whole great deal of patience for performing the feats you engage into, and conduct your searches methodically - - you’ll then be most amazed at some of the finds you will uncover.

Second Tip -
If ever I could offer advice to anyone entering the metal and relic detecting scene, without question, it would be, DIG DIG DIG.  To heck with what you feel it may be, dig it anyway !!  For you may dig a lot of junk, but if you fail to break that surface, Lord only knows how many neat (or very valuable) treasures you will then have overlooked.

Third Tip –
To the level of 99%, there is no such thing as a depleted search area.  That solitary 1% being, if the area has been dozed away, and oft times, including to a depth of four to five feet.  Thing being, maybe the ‘easy’ stuff has been found, but not all.  Too often people do not detect correctly, tire too quickly or rush the search zone, leaving behind many nice treasures for the guy or gal who knows the true value of patience.  Even ground moisture plays a large part in the actual detection and, depth of detection.  Though more bothersome and time-consuming when trying to protect a target, as like an old silver dollar, I’ve many a time detected when the frost still runs deep.
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline kety_smith

• Kudos: 0
Re: My Three Foremost Metal Detecting Tips
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:09:42 AM »
Many valuable tips, thank you <-good_>

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
Yes thanks Larry very great tips you have i wish you could share alot more with us. I have never done this but like to read about it from ppl who do it. Be nice to see your pics of your finds over the years. I am sure you found many items over the years. Please share more of your experences out with your unit. Thank you very much for your input cheers Ray

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:20:51 AM »
First Tip –
RESEARCH, research and more research, will prove to be your greatest salvation and truest measuring tool between success and failure.  Know your area, its history and your anticipated targets, then add a whole world of unknown little prizes.  Include in the mix, a quality detector, of which you learn its usage thoroughly, plus incorporate a set of good quality earphones, sprinkle in a whole great deal of patience for performing the feats you engage into, and conduct your searches methodically - - you’ll then be most amazed at some of the finds you will uncover.

Second Tip -
If ever I could offer advice to anyone entering the metal and relic detecting scene, without question, it would be, DIG DIG DIG.  To heck with what you feel it may be, dig it anyway !!  For you may dig a lot of junk, but if you fail to break that surface, Lord only knows how many neat (or very valuable) treasures you will then have overlooked.

Third Tip –
To the level of 99%, there is no such thing as a depleted search area.  That solitary 1% being, if the area has been dozed away, and oft times, including to a depth of four to five feet.  Thing being, maybe the ‘easy’ stuff has been found, but not all.  Too often people do not detect correctly, tire too quickly or rush the search zone, leaving behind many nice treasures for the guy or gal who knows the true value of patience.  Even ground moisture plays a large part in the actual detection and, depth of detection.  Though more bothersome and time-consuming when trying to protect a target, as like an old silver dollar, I’ve many a time detected when the frost still runs deep.

Great tips - but digging in frozen ground!? Wow you certainly have the fever! Frozen ground is very hard to dig err chip at...   <_miner_>

Did someone say       

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »
On Oct 27th Rexhavoc and me were busting up frozen ground up for a sample run for him to see yes no fun digging in frozen ground. Matter of fact that was last time out this year for me. Usually sluicing untill November some time but was early year this year for me and everyone else also. Hope for an early spring this year then out out we go. cheers Ray